Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I30 sw Manual gear, diesel 110hp 2013.

Should I wait to shift gears until the LCD advice me to shift ?

I rather want a good fuel economic than speed :)

Or is any rules how many RPM for a gearshift?

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you can see the gear numbers, you are in ECO mode when the gear number is on, the cars computer is telling you to be in that gear to get optimum MPG. I just can't see how you could before the ECO LCD tells you the shift. Shifting too soon will bog the motor down or even stall on you, so I don't recommend shifting earlier than the LCD displays.

You can always look at the tach and listen to the motor when you shift. Soon you can watch the tach or just know from the sound of the motor, when to shift up.

·
9,148 Posts
Stay within 2000RPM when changing gear...Anything above 2500rpm is no no.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do tend to drive with economy in mind and usually I leave the engine rev to around 2,500 - 2,700 in first gear(too low and 2nd sometimes lags a little especially when pulling out into traffic).
Around town(up to 30-35mph) I never change out of 3rd to 4th as the revs drop too low imo.
I get around 60mpg with about 20% motorway mixed in to mostly town driving (based on about 200 miles a week).
This engine is amazing really, enough power, smooth and relatively quiet and low revs at higher speeds (less than 1900 @ 70mph in 6th)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Around 2500 is a nice place to shift, but how do you get there? if you are full throttle up to 2500 then shifting it's not ideal. If you drive gently and progressively up to 2500 then gently squeeze in the throttle on the next gear you can't do much more than that. BTW your fuel figure is dang impressive, i'd be happy with that. Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do progressively build up speed, but not to the point where the driver behind is cursing me, you don't need to press the pedal down much to get it going, even with it's modest power figures.
I will expect it to drop now the winter is approaching here in the uk, last year(with less than 5,000 miles on it) I saw a drop to less than 55mpg!!! in the dead of winter, I thought something was wrong with it, cold sweats, sleepless nights....just kidding, but it does tend to drop in cold weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts