Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October is nearing and so is the turbo sonatas. I've been dying to get my hand on one and the only hesitation is the optima. It has a bunch of features that I think might make me regret going with the sonata.

I'm going to highlight the differences and ask for your thoughts.

Sonata
Good looking exterior and front end
Roomy with nice symmetric center console
Will be here in october
Ugly looking H ornating your grill and rear.
$30 and change

Optima
Nice bottocks
Passenger auto window and power seat
Ventilated front seats
HID Headlamps
LED Tail-lamps
Memory driver seat
Seats look more comfy?
Arrives Nov? Dec?
$30 and change

Everything else is pretty much identical to the point where I wondered why they even bothered with the KIA instead of a refresh sonata with more features.

If you were in the market, what would you do?

PS: KIA's optima configurator varies the packages from 1800 to 2200. Is that for market research?
http://adi-kia-1027492015.us-east-1.elb.am...trs/dispatch.do

·
Registered
424 Posts
they are two totally different design themes so u gotta decide what u like best.

I can say this though, the first 5000 miles with my sonata have been nothing but great!

it's great on gas and seems like the mpg is improving to a steady 27mpg 60 city 40 highway. It's a joy to drive, feels very nimble and feels very light footed. the 4 cylinder is the most powerful 4 cyl I have even driven and feels more than adequate for the weight of the car. You could easily fool someone by saying it was a 2.8 litre 6 cylinder if they didn't know any better.

you may have a little bargaining power with the sonata but don't expect to get any discount on the optima. there seems to be a massive anticipation for the optima.

QUOTE (dsx724 @ Sep 13 2010, 12:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355936
October is nearing and so is the turbo sonatas. I've been dying to get my hand on one and the only hesitation is the optima. It has a bunch of features that I think might make me regret going with the sonata.

Sonata
Will be here in october
$30 and change

Optima
Nice bottocks
Ventilated front seats
HID Headlamps
LED Tail-lamps
Memory driver seat
Seats look more comfy?
Arrives Nov? Dec?
$30 and change

Everything else is pretty much identical to the point where I wondered why they even bothered with the KIA instead of a refresh sonata with more features.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Sep 13 2010, 01:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355936

Sonata
Will be here in october
$30 and change

Optima
Nice bottocks
Ventilated front seats
HID Headlamps
LED Tail-lamps
Memory driver seat
Seats look more comfy?
Arrives Nov? Dec?
$30 and change

PS: KIA's optima configurator varies the packages from 1800 to 2200. Is that for market research?
http://adi-kia-1027492015.us-east-1.elb.am...trs/dispatch.do
I have to assume you are referring to the Turbo, as the current model is already here and does not venture into the 30K area.
H ornament is a trivial thing to judge a purchase by. If you really are that uninterested in it...remove it.

Ill add the taillights and headlights. There are no theories as to what lighting is coming with the Turbo.

The KIA offers nice features for the passenger area, but in the end its "just a KIA". You know, just like the threads/posts I see about the Sonata just being a "Hyundai".
Seat looking comfy and being comfy is personal preference and back side judged per person.

No way I would pay 30K for a KIA. Just like when people defecate a stone block about a 40K Hyundai Genesis.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You'll have to drive both to decide. And 'Ugly looking H ornating your grill and rear'? Have you seen the abomination the Kia has? :grin: There's nothing wrong with the 'H', other than it resembles Honda's. The Kia badge is all black and looks like crap on anything other than black paint, and the letters 'KIA' don't help any. It should have been a 'K' only, like the Sonata. Good luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
hey, since you live in New Jersey, if you go with the Sonata, I'll give you my salesmans card. it has a $200 referral on the back that I'll split with you.

Otherwise its doesnt matter to me what you get :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (gregd71 @ Sep 13 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356064
hey, since you live in New Jersey, if you go with the Sonata, I'll give you my salesmans card. it has a $200 referral on the back that I'll split with you.

Otherwise its doesnt matter to me what you get :)
I play hardball with salesmen. I'm pretty sure he'll hate me and you after the negotiating is done. I've talked a GLS with PEP to 19250 and a Limited with Nav down to 25250 yet bought neither. I'm pretty sure he'll never give you the referral lol. The deals can be had if you rough them up the way as hard as they try to rob you blind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Those pie rims might not be standard. Some recent pictures as well as test runs have been shown with more standard rims on the Optima.

I like the interior on the Sonata a lot better, but the sound system and trim on the higher end Optimas look very intriguing. The base Optima is flat out ugly.

Overall, I personally like the Sonata better but I'm biased with owning one. You really can't go wrong with either one in my book. I'll be admiring the Optima next to me while I'm sure they'll be admiring my Sonata :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Sep 13 2010, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356074
With the Kia you get ugly pizza pie rims and the uglier 1980s style red interior lighting. No thanks.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-kia-op...e/full/#3323388
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/review-2011...ta-gls/#3244722

KIA rims look better than the Hyundai rims imo. The Hyundai silver brake calipers look bad and even worst with 17 and 18 inch wheels since they didn't size up the rotor on the SE.

However, Hyundai has the interior nailed with the air vents while the KIA looks like a cluster fu** of buttons and vents

http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/al...descreen-05.jpg
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-kia-op...e/full/#3323400

Sonata leather seats is worst than sitting on a bench but their clothe seats are awfully comfortable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Sep 13 2010, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356070
I play hardball with salesmen. I'm pretty sure he'll hate me and you after the negotiating is done. I've talked a GLS with PEP to 19250 and a Limited with Nav down to 25250 yet bought neither. I'm pretty sure he'll never give you the referral lol. The deals can be had if you rough them up the way as hard as they try to rob you blind.
i roughed him up pretty good too, lol. i managed to knock over $6200 off their initial attempt to give me their "best price", including trade in price, financing charges, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the harder lines of the Optima give it a "Fusion-esque" appearance. Obviously, the picture you have of the Optima is not something we would normally see on the road on a daily basis so its not fair to compare to any Sonata. With that said, you are normally gonna see more of the base level models, which will be pretty blah...and be mistaken for a Ford.

Any level of the Sonata can be seen on the road,...and are mistaken for higher end luxury model cars.

Your choice....but to pay $30k for either would make me question your "hardball" negotiating skills. Seriously.

Really dude - I have to question why you post something like this here when 1) you know responses on this page are biased, 2) most of your deciding factors are individual preferences and opinions, and 3) you haven't addressed real comparibles that adults use, but instead address issues from looking at pictures - or those concerns reserved for young tuners. Resale value, comfort, reliability, warrantee information, fuel economy normally take precedence when doing comparables.

Again, your choice. This post is like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Sep 14 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356330
Your choice....but to pay $30k for either would make me question your "hardball" negotiating skills. Seriously.
I was stating MSRP. Here in Jersey with 7% tax rate, OTD price would be pretty close to 30K even if you bargained 2.5K off invoice.

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Sep 14 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356330
Really dude - I have to question why you post something like this here when 1) you know responses on this page are biased, 2) most of your deciding factors are individual preferences and opinions, and 3) you haven't addressed real comparibles that adults use, but instead address issues from looking at pictures - or those concerns reserved for young tuners. Resale value, comfort, reliability, warrantee information, fuel economy normally take precedence when doing comparables.

Again, your choice. This post is like comparing apples to oranges.
1) Responses on both sides are biased, doesn't mean you shouldn't get opinions anyway.
2) Power passenger seats and HID are really important features. The HID thread is 20 pages long so I consider it one of the critical features esp during night driving. Numerous reviewers and forum members have noted the low passenger seat without height adjustment even on the limited trim. The Sonata leather seats are like sitting in park benches. Very uncomfortable for driving long distances and riding on bumpy roads. The Optima is a big question mark. Because it will take at least two more months for the SX to come out.
3) These factors affect comfort and resale value. As for reliability, warranty, and fuel economies, they're pretty much equal in all respects given that they share the same engine, gearbox, steering setup, suspension, chassis, audio system, and electrical layout. I'm not a "young" tuner, I want a car that I will live with for 10 years. Seriously.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand that they are sister cars (same power train and relative size) but i'm sure alot of us can say that the optima is the more tomboyish, sportier less attractive sister to the sonata :shades: If your the guy who likes tomboys, to each his own

That's just my personal opinion though lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
How would you clean the honeycomb grill on that Optima? Could you imagine all the bugs squished in there. That would not be a whole lot of fun to hand wash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts