Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can lay some light on this. I plan on lowering the sonata soon. I keep reading that a lot of optima owners are running Sonata lowering springs? A few post states a lower drop, hence the reason for optima owners using sonata spec'd springs. My question is can it be done the other way around? I heard also that the optima springs are a tad shorter and yield a higher spring rate ( aftermarket lowering springs). This would actually compliment the SE mono-tube shocks very well with maybe 1"-1.25" drop if im not mistake and still have a higher spring rate?

·
Registered
336 Posts
i think he wants a lower look but a higher spring rate.....

the answer as far as i understand it is yes they will "fit" what i'm not sure is if too high of a spring rate will cause "rebounding" when you hit unexpected bumps and if that rebounding will screw up other stuff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think he wants a lower look but a higher spring rate.....

the answer as far as i understand it is yes they will "fit" what i'm not sure is if too high of a spring rate will cause "rebounding" when you hit unexpected bumps and if that rebounding will screw up other stuff
That is what I want. Lower then then stock with higher spring rate. Is it me or is the se wheel gap bigger then gls and limited? I wouldnt be surprise that the se springs are optima sx springs carried over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does any have actual specs on OEM springs rates? Especially for the OEM sx and se.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
UPDATE***** After long research I finally made the choice of buying the OPTIMA Eibach springs. I was fortunate to purchase a used set on ebay. Part number for these springs are 4619.140. Just received them today and started wrenching at 6pm and finished at 8:16pm. These are somethings I notice ( sorry for the lack of pictures)-

Optima Eibach Front and Rear has about 1-3 dead coils ( Should've documented).
Front Coils are same length as the stock SE coils.
Front coils are thinner in diameter.

Once the springs installed, I also installed my SPC camber bolts part number- 81280 and fully adjusted to max camber (which SPC indicates +/-1.75 depending on application).

Lowered and pulled the car out of the drive way onto a flat surface. WOW its lower then I expected and wanted. Camber seem negative (static). I know this isn't proper and again time frame limited me to improper documentation. Stock SE wheel gap was 4 of my fingers. Now with the Optima Eibach its a bit less then 2 all around. I'm really liking the stance.

Drive-ability was one main concern so I took it on the freeway. Stiffer it was and absorption from bumps and dips was very good. There is minimal lean now and the car turns in much sharper with smooth transitions. I Have to say that since I might be the first to try this, the springs are doing very well.

I will update soon after a proper break in and post pictures after my other little project for the Sonata. I'm just happy to report that if the optima guys are using the Sonata springs to obtain lower stance, the sonata can achieve a nice drop with the added benefit of stiffer spring rate if we use theirs.

Optima springs do work and do offer a very reasonable drop.:p

·
Banned
358 Posts
I have been asking on numerous forums and manufacturers what the spring rates were compared to the OEM springs. They just told me that the drop was XX.XX inches. I want to knowhow much stiffer the spring rate is vs oem so that I know I am buying something better than OEM and not the same spring rate and just gives a lower stance. I owned a G35 coupe before and they have an awesome spring setup page for mostly all springs made for the G35 lineup. Here is a link to the page so you can see what I am talking about:

G35/350Z aftermarket coilover, springs and shocks spec's w/updates - G35Driver

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been asking on numerous forums and manufacturers what the spring rates were compared to the OEM springs. They just told me that the drop was XX.XX inches. I want to knowhow much stiffer the spring rate is vs oem so that I know I am buying something better than OEM and not the same spring rate and just gives a lower stance. I owned a G35 coupe before and they have an awesome spring setup page for mostly all springs made for the G35 lineup. Here is a link to the page so you can see what I am talking about:

G35/350Z aftermarket coilover, springs and shocks spec's w/updates - G35Driver
As far as know from research around other forums, the factory optima springs were shorter by 4mm then the sonata (excludes se). Optima owners also noted the thinker too.
As far as rate wise stock i have yet to find a reliable source. Factory springs are linear, so any aftermarket progressive rate spring will lower and provide stiffer rate. All eibavh said is that all pro kits are 20% stiffer than stock. So let's say if stock gls is front is rated at150 lbs/ eibach would rated at 180 but progressive. That is eibachs claims and not mine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have been looking at and researching this exact thing! I even contacted Eibach, which was useless. I am looking for more of a raked stance. How are your springs holding up? Have you had any issues with rebounding? Do you have any pictures of the drop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts