Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking for my next car I want a 2000-2001 Hyundai Accent. So I have a few questions...

How reliable are the 2000-2001 Accent Sedans with the manual transmissions (Ive heard bad things about the autos), What are some of the common issues on these, is a power window/lock swap possible, and last I was told these cars came with key less entry remotes for trunk pop, and things like that?

·
Registered
546 Posts
You should also look at the '02s, they are the same. '03 is when they changed the the front bumper cover and tail lights. The common problems will depend on the engine. Are you looking at the 1.5 or 1.6?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely the 1.5L considering thats what most of them have. I was told the 2002 have issues with a throwout bearing...more than the others. I just want something that is going to take me around where I need to go, not like to across country.

But I do know that Hyundai parts aren't that good...so when the clutch wears out I plan on getting a clutch kit from a good place...Also when I test drive one I will drive it hard and make sure of no issues...

With the 1.5 I'm worried about smoking...as I think thats a common issue?

Anyways, I just don't want to be stuck with a money pit, as that is what I'm just coming from having...and ive read a lot of BADD things about these cars, but I really think its all about the upkeep.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You're right. It's about the cheapest car you can buy, but with some regular care it will last a long time. That's the problem, most people treat them like disposable cars. Even the clutch will last if you don't "cowboy" the equipment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 11 2010, 01:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340778
You're right. It's about the cheapest car you can buy, but with some regular care it will last a long time. That's the problem, most people treat them like disposable cars. Even the clutch will last if you don't "cowboy" the equipment.
Yeah, and I was also thinking that because these cars are so cheap...most people dont have the money for the proper upkeep to begin with since they are buying the cheapest car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unless you happen to find a pristine condition one, be very cautious. Way too much maintenance has gone into mine in the past year, more than what I paid for the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ideally I want one that is taken care of so I can continue that trend.

But nobody seems to tell me any issues they feel are common on the Accents 1.5L and manual transmission?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just joined today to see if someone can help me with my Hyundai Accent 2002 1.6
I have never known such a car with such problems to get it started
honestly its the first car ive owned but i know plenty of people who have had cars and no one can help me,
not even my dad knows exactly what the problem is and he was a mechanic
obviously not even the hyundai dealership considering its been there Two times already.
i would NOT recommend this car to anyone, perhaps someone who i hated greatly.
what a crap car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts