Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I discovered that driving the car with the sunroof completely open, the windows up, and the rear seats folded down causes an unbearable noise and vibration condition that feels and sounds like a helicopter flying directly over the sunroof. Not that it is windy, but there is a staccato buffeting noise and vibration that is exceptionally annoying. I have used the sunroof almost every time I've driven the car (unless it was raining) and became very alarmed by the noise. I varied the speed and noticed that this condition occurs between 40-60 mph, regardless of road surface. Below and above those thresholds, it seemed ok. Also, closing the sunroof partially stopped the noise as well. I pulled over and flipped the seats back up and things were back to normal.

Very weird.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Probably has something to do with the air flowing in and getting trapped in the trunk space, if I were to guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

My wife and I thought we were going crazy last night, when this happened to us. Same exact thing as you described: sunroof open with windows closed and back seats folded down, when around 35 mph, an over-whelming vibrato warbling noise erupted out of no where. When the sunroof was closed, it stopped.

We were dumbstruck as to where this vibration was coming from, and were fretting going back to the dealer to try to replicate the problem, because you know how often that usually ends up failing. So, reading your post was not only a relief, but a reassurance that we're not going crazy, yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts