Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh:Hello Sonata Turbo owners!! Last Saturday I finally broke down and traded my 2013 Elantra Limited for a Sonata 2.0T SE fully loaded. Love the car and was extra excited due to the fact that the dealership threw in window tint. So here goes my Monday morning!!

Got in car about 6:30am and started to drive to the dealership, which is about 45 miles away, was all prepared to take a loaner for the day while they complete the Due bill for Tint. About Half way to the dealership, sounded like a gunshot inside my car... Scared the **** out of me... Look at all my windows and relized because of the sound after wards... my sunroof had exploded!! Seriously WTF?? I continued to the dealership, now mad not excited...only had the car 2 days, less than 150 miles!! :(

Well here I am still waiting.... driving a chevy cruz!! Suppose to have car back tomorrow with tint done and sunroof repaired!! What a crappy week!! :mad:

On a second note.... Just for opinions... Is dark tint to dark for all windows? Hoping its not too dark...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Did they say what caused it?
Maybe you did get shot at or have something hit it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It actually broke into pieces. The dealership is saying that it was a combibation of bad glass and loose tracks that put to much force against the glass... sounds like a good explantion... but what are the chance?:eek:

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Hey, they are eating it. Some places would swear up and down you did it, regardless of what caused it. Strange things happen. Law of averages, you have to figure that after 50,000 times, something will go wrong. But a sunroof than an engine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did you notice any noise from the sunroof before it happened? Wonder if the squeaky/rattling sunroof issue is a loose track or something that may lead to this happening? I've heard of Veloster pano roofs exploding, but not the sonata pano or sunroof... My sunroof squeaks like crazy even on a straight fairly smooth road - I need to get it to the dealer soon. If I'm on rough pavement, my roof sounds like an old hay wagon that might fall apart at any minute! Guess I will get to the dealer sooner than later after reading this :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed none of you figured out the most obvious reason: the 2013 Elantra Limited has a contract on YOU SOCALGUY2013! You better tint those windows as dark as you can and then move to Arizona where I hearthat gun freedoms are pretty liberal.

Seriously though, my former 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T had lots of sunroof maladies (copious water/air leaks followed by lots of dealer and third party mechanical molestation) but fortunately exploding was not one of them. Make sure they don't strip the threads (which are tapped holes on the rail/mechanism side) on any of the four mounting points for the glass panel assembly. You will know pretty quickly as the panel will pop up when the last door is closed (assuming all windows UP and sunroof is DOWN) as a result of the cabin "pressurizing". My local dealer (or agents working on their behalf) Alan Vines Hyundai, Jackson, TN did this to me and then lied through their nether-region that it was "normal". Ultimately, after involving the regional DPSM, another dealer replaced the entire mechanism, glass panel assembly and headliner.

The ultimate solution was replacing it with a 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0T (by a certain means I can't disclose (wink-wink)) with the Premium Package (e.g., panoramic roof, navigation, etc.).

To this day I still have the DPSM's phone number in my cell phone address book. Good to have a backup plan when opportunity arises.

Hope all goes well with the repairs and that your car is trouble-free from here on out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**Update on car**

Well, as of right now I still do not have my car. There was another issue...

ComicOzzie... you may be right, my Elantra is out for me!! lol

So, I bought the car 08/17/2013 Sunroof blew out 08/19/2013, it was in the shop until 08/23/2013. I was excited when I got the car back and had it for a week and drove it to Palm Desert on 08/30. Well on the way back from Palm Desert, my TPMS light came on and started blinking... So, naturally, pulled over and check my tire pressure in all tires, which were all exact.
Well got back in the car, and the next thing I knew Blue Link notified me with the issue. So I called Blue Link and they told me there was multiple issues with the TPMS system.
So... My car went back in the shop Tuesday the 3rd, and figured out that two wheels on my car had faulty TPMS Sensors...
Well, thats not all either... When I got back from Palm Desert, thought I would give the car a good wash, which this is the first time that I washed it, since the dealer washed it when they gave it back.
While washing the car i noticed that there were little nicks in th paint down to bare metal on the trunk lid... When i took the car into get the TPMS issue fixed... I told the advisor about the nicks in the paint on the trunk and he said he would look into it.
Well to my surprise, or not, the dealer called me and stated that all the nicks were do to the sunroof blowing out and that they were all over my roof as well... So they repainted the Roof, Trunklid, and blended in the quarter panels...
I am going to say, my experience with this car is not at the best point right now... But my experience with the dealer has been nothing but pleasant!!
They have admitted everything with no arguing at all, they have fixed everything on it with no complaint, and on top of that, the dealership filled my gas tank again, and paid my next months payment, since i have not had the car pretty much the all of the first month....
So all and all in with everything, I am prety happy considering.

·
Registered
802 Posts
WOW!! That dealership is being super helpful. You are fortunate to have such an honest and considerate dealership to work with.

Hope that you get your car back soon and that you love driving it.

And I hope that your troubles come to a quick end now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
sunroof glass shattered

I have a 2012 Elantra Limited 35000 miles , we were on a wide open highway , friends were right behind us and saw nothing , temp was around 60 degrees and it sounded like a shotgun went off in our car. The glass just shattered and spiderwebbed to begin with but in driving on to our destination I heard something else which sounded like dirt or gravels going across the back of the car and we could hear a lot more wind noise, this was when a piece the size of my hand blew out of the center of the glass. I carried it to my dealer late Friday , he is checking on getting it replaced for me , hopefully this week. In online research it looks like this has happened to several different make cars. My wife and I both ducked and I see how this could cause an accident very easily.

·
Registered
559 Posts
See this happen quite a bit with other cars too.

Here is a thread with a '13 Subaru WRX owner going through it:
'13 WRX shattered moonroof - NASIOC

Someone posted this theory:

nickel sulfide inclusions. search them up.

the glass in your sunroof is fully tempered. This means it's rapidly cooled while being made to induce internal stresses. It makes the glass inherently a lot stronger and makes it break into tiny pieces.

Downside? There are little particles of nickel sulfide that can end up in the glass. It's stuck in a gaseous phase, but can spontaneously crystallize and shatter the glass.

typically there is a "cats eye" formation where the nickel sulfide particles crystallized. If you can find that pattern, bang, you have proof it's a manufacturing defect. Even without it, you'd have to have a pretty strong impact to break the fully tempered glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts