Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When browsing the Hyundai USA website I was very surprised to see that your 5 year warranty only covers you for 60,000 miles! That's 12,000 miles per year, far less than the average American travels. This means your average driver would run out of warranty after 4 years, possibly even less.

Here in Australia, the 5 year warranty covers you for unlimited miles.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jun 24 2010, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335984
When browsing the Hyundai USA website I was very surprised to see that your 5 year warranty only covers you for 60,000 miles! That's 12,000 miles per year, far less than the average American travels. This means your average driver would run out of warranty after 4 years, possibly even less.

Here in Australia, the 5 year warranty covers you for unlimited miles.
You must take another look? :whistling: We get a 10 Year/100,000 mile Warranty. The first 60,000 are what some call

Bumper to Bumper, & the last 40 thousand miles covers the power train components. Paint & Audio Video are covered for 3 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 24 2010, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335988
You must take another look? :whistling: We get a 10 Year/100,000 mile Warranty. The first 60,000 are what some call

Bumper to Bumper, & the last 40 thousand miles covers the power train components. Paint & Audio Video are covered for 3 :thumbsup:
What I'm referring to then is what you call the bumper to bumper warranty, which is what most people are referring to when they talk about warranties. The powertrain warranty is really irrelevant because it can't be transferred to a new owner, and most people don't keep their cars for 10 years.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Fair enough, but the power train coverage is quite comprehensive! Look at Canada. They only get a 5 Year/ 100 km Warranty

and pay more for their Hyundai :innocent:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 25 2010, 01:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335993
Plus Dave your observation on the average amount of miles driven by Americans seems wrong. 12,000 miles is about the average.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/rtecs/chapter3.html

Also some U.S Car companies are now following Hyundai with the 100,000 mile Warranty, but it is just for 5 years, and is not true

bumper to bumper coverage. :trophy:
Well firstly, the info on that page is 15 years out of date, but if you look at the page in more detail you'll see that the newer the vehicle, the more miles it travels per year. The 12,000 mile figure you quoted is for vehicles of ALL ages. A vehicle aged between 0-5 years will travel significantly more distance per year than one over 5 years old, as you can see from this figure:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/rtecs/chapter3.htg/img4.gif

It shows that in the first year, the average car does 14,300 miles, and slightly less in each following year. However, average figures are not that useful - median would be better. Let's suppose the median was also 12,000 per year. That means only half of Hyundai buyers would be covered by the full length of their warranty!

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
We have had members who have burnt thru their Warranty within a Year. There is always a supplemental plan offering full coverage

by Hyundai for about $1000. While I know what I posted was from last Century, the average American puts on between 12-15 thousand

miles per year. If you saw the Engine and Transmission power train coverage posted here, you would not think they are worthless.

However you need proof of servicing from day one if you expect to use the factory Warranty!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I can say that most people I know do drive between 10,000 and 15,000 miles a year. I am not one of those people. :grin: Also, considering that most American and Japanese cars sold in the USA are only covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles for everything and I think Hyundai has a great deal. Heck....Lexus only gives you 4 years, 50,000 miles and Honda doesn't even offer roadside assistance. You have to pay EXTRA for it!! :eek:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
The bottom line... The Warranty coverage will vary from Country to Country. While we get 5 Year unlimited roadside

service which also includes collision, In Australia it seems only a 1 year Warranty is offered or 130,000 KM? We have a

3 Year Battery Warranty while I only see 2 Years down under? Very different coverage, but I would always opt for 10 Yr over 5 yr

coverage. I can be reading all that wrong, but its 111 degrees right now. What would that be in Australia? Parts of He11 can be cooler :57:

http://www.hyundai.com.au/hyundaipremiumassist/#roadside

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335989
What I'm referring to then is what you call the bumper to bumper warranty, which is what most people are referring to when they talk about warranties. The powertrain warranty is really irrelevant because it can't be transferred to a new owner, and most people don't keep their cars for 10 years.
I'd have to pull out the manual to say for sure, but I'm fairly certain the powertrain warranty in the USA does in fact transfer to subsequent owners, as does a version of the 5 year warranty. The EPA warranty (aka pollution control) covers all owners, as it's a federal mandate, not a corporate option.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336216
I'd have to pull out the manual to say for sure, but I'm fairly certain the powertrain warranty in the USA does in fact transfer to subsequent owners, as does a version of the 5 year warranty. The EPA warranty (aka pollution control) covers all owners, as it's a federal mandate, not a corporate option.
No not really. The powertrain warranty did transfer at one time to family members. That program ended about 7 years ago. The "EPA Warranty" also known as the EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS WARRANTY is limited to 7/70 or 8/80 coverage & only covers certain parts covered under the 5 year, 60K new Car Warranty.

America's Best Warranty
10-YEAR / 100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN PROTECTION
Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999 - 2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).
Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).5-YEAR / 60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years / 36,000 miles
Paint: 3 years / 36,000 miles
Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
Wear items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)
7-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES ANTI-PERFORATION WARRANTY
Covers 7 years / unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years / 100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years).
Excludes surface corrosion.

5-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES 24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
Covers vehicle, regardless if current owner is original or subsequent owner.

8-YEAR / 80,000-MILE FEDERAL EMISSION AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY
Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA-approved inspection/maintenance program:
Catalytic Converter
Engine Control Module
Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

7-YEAR / 70,000-MILE CALIFORNIA EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS WARRANTY
Applies to vehicles manufactured to California specifications, which are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered in the states of California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont.
Covers repair or replacement of specific original Hyundai emissions components (specific covered emissions components vary by model).
California Emissions Control Systems Warranty is in addition to Federal Emissions Defect & Performance Warranty.
Other California Emissions Control Systems Warranty emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, roadside assist is only for 1 year here, but again, it's something that can't be transferred, so to get the full benefit you need to keep the car for 5 years. Besides, it's true value is only around $60/year which is what the equivalent of AAA here costs.

As for other brands, the only other 5 year warranties here are offered by Kia (unlimited km) and Mitsubishi (130,000km).

A 3 year warranty that only covers you for 36,000 miles?? LOL. Here, most cover you for 100,000 km (or 60,000 miles).

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Dave I do agree with almost everything you say. However in my case for example, I am coming up on 5 Years, yet only have 24,000
miles. I will get the remainder of the 100K P/T warranty for what its worth. :whistling: About Extended Warranties though... There is no such
thing, at least here in the U.S. Only the Manufacturer can offer an Extended Warranty, and I was referring only to the Hyundai HPP. The
other policies we see are known as VSC's, or ESC's which are Extended Service Contracts. They take your Money and are gone within Months or Years. We had one recently called USFidelis who would insure any Car, regardless of age or mileage. That is insane, and they went Bankrupt last year. The owner just finished his $14 Million home. They will put him away, but right now we are very busy fighting World terrorism & the BP spill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 26 2010, 12:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336249
No not really. The powertrain warranty did transfer at one time to family members. That program ended about 7 years ago.

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

You answered your own question, powertrain warranty transfers to all future owners, it's just limited to 5yr/60k, which still is still better than most other car makers out there.

The transferable warranties are one of the reasons I bought my santa fe, i'm covered for another 4 years or 46k miles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 26 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336266
Dave I do agree with almost everything you say. However in my case for example, I am coming up on 5 Years, yet only have 24,000
miles. I will get the remainder of the 100K P/T warranty for what its worth. :whistling: About Extended Warranties though... There is no such
thing, at least here in the U.S. Only the Manufacturer can offer an Extended Warranty, and I was referring only to the Hyundai HPP. The
other policies we see are known as VSC's, or ESC's which are Extended Service Contracts. They take your Money and are gone within Months or Years. We had one recently called USFidelis who would insure any Car, regardless of age or mileage. That is insane, and they went Bankrupt last year. The owner just finished his $14 Million home. They will put him away, but right now we are very busy fighting World terrorism & the BP spill.

I think you're right (I was thinking of the latter), however Hyundai do not offer an extended warranty here.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jun 26 2010, 10:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336346
You answered your own question, powertrain warranty transfers to all future owners, it's just limited to 5yr/60k, which still is still better than most other car makers out there.
The transferable warranties are one of the reasons I bought my santa fe, i'm covered for another 4 years or 46k miles.
No there was no question here. :whistling: While it reads like the powertrain warranty transfers, it is the 5/60 New Car 'Limited' Warranty,
the better one, the "Bumper to Bumper"one that follows the Car, and includes the powertrain. Think about it, as it would be hard to provide the remainder of the 5/60 "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty to a subsequent owner, yet not include the Engine and Transmission? Certain Certified HMA used Cars also came with transferable extended 100K powertrain coverage. Not sure Hyundai is doing the Certified thing anymore. :thumbsup:
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jun 26 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336348
It's miles or time, whichever comes first.
It is like that everywhere in the World, & in Australia for example its unlimited miles or 5 Years. So I am not sure what you are telling me?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Before 2004 the 100,000 mile power train warranty was transferable to family members. I bought my daughter a new 2013 Elantra as a gift. I bought the car in my name because I wanted to surprise her and she did not live near by. The dealer was unaware of this policy with regard to the 10 year, 100000 mile warranty. ( I believe them, they are a great dealership ) Now if I transfer the vehicle to her she loses that warranty. This is the first time I have been disappointed in Hyundai. I may have to keep in in my name, which I never intended to do. This is my third purchase of a Hyundai. All three vehicles were great. There policy on this warranty does not serve them well.

·
22,793 Posts
G'day, MrZ! As a side note, I've owned my 2013 Elantra for 16 months. 32,400 miles, mate. I'm way over the average you guys are talking about. I reside on the outside of that Bell Curve. LOL But it's mostly highway, and a couple of 3,000 round trippers. I wish the mileage was lower, but it isn't. Just thankful for the fuel economy due to the 54 mile round trip to work, 5 days a week.

Tell all those gorgeous Sheila's down under that the old guy said hello!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts