Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've got a 2011 sonata 2.4L where the AC doesn't seem to have enough cooling. It would be cold on the highway but when idling or in traffic, it would barely be cool.
I hooked up the gauge and low side is 60 and high side is 225 at idle in "Max AC" mode. Air blowing out the vent is about 65-70 degrees at idle.
I thought it could be the electronic compressor control valve or a bad compressor but when I checked the voltage going into the compressor I'm getting 4 volt.

Is 4 volt the right voltage or should it be closer to 12V?
If not then the problem might not be with the compressor but the control circuit.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Is 4 volt the right voltage or should it be closer to 12V?
I think the compressor fitted to your car is of the variable displacement type. VD compressors don't normally have a direct 12V power supply. They are controlled by a PWM signal, which means the 12V is continuously switched on and off at high speed. Your voltmeter will be displaying the average voltage of the PWM signal, so 4V may be correct.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Its common for the solenoid valve to fail. MT3457 or MT-3457 is the PN some of used to fix their A/C woes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out 4V reading from a multimeter is ok. I changed out the compressor valve (part number above) and all is working well.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, kind of a sub topic if you will... to make a long LONG story short...2012 hyundai sonata... a/c stopped blowing cold, two months later, (this June) engine blew while driving, engine was replaced and knock sensor "update" 🙄 was performed on vehicle. Got car back and A/C was working beautifully...for about a month. It's back to not blowing cold air at all and if I had to guess, i would say that this distraction they call an update is misbehaving again and the knock sensor and the ECM (which I also had to have "updated" under recall) are speaking different languages to eachother. Subsequently turning my compressor off because it is being told that power needs to be used somewhere else. Etc etc.. If the A/C didnt work after I got the car back then I would go with the usual repair logic, probably the compressor or solenoid valve etc etc but it WORKED when we got the car back so your opinions on this subject would be insightful please. Would you also assume, as I do, that if i replace the compressor I will be replacing g it AGAIN within the year as I don't believe it is bad? It didnt need a recharge levels were fine etc etc so?? I ask because I am headed back into the dealership again in two days to raise **** to fix this newest issue related and caused by the other issues. I would like to think I'm thinking logically you know? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Plurgirl
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing