Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup I'm averaging 28/29 MPG on highway/city driving & does anyone else think that's kinda ridiculous for a car with that little get up? I mean I love my Accent but **** to see I'm only getting MPG in the 20's is freakin' ridic. & I drive normal no heavy footing her since she doesn't do anything but roar & go nowhere when I do it. When I have to pass someone I take O/D off then put it back on but that's not really often. On the freeway the most I go is 75 cause I'm in Vegas & ppl drive 45 on the freeways like idiots. I put Texaco Regular in her cause when I tried Chevron Premium she ate it up like I eat cake (inhale that b*tch pretty much) so that's outta the question. I have to do the 60K service & possibly change the o2 sensors but am I gonna see any better MPG?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Depends how much of your city/highway driving is city. My 07 will run close to 50 mpg (imperial gallon) at a steady 55 mph. However in the city doing the daily grind that drops very quickly to less than 25 mpg. The autos drink like no tomorrow, specially in the stop start situation. Watching my scan gauge the fuel use starts to rise fast over about 60 mph as well. You can make huge improvements to fuel use just by gently accelerating away at the traffic lights, it's that initial kick off up to about 20 mph that makes them drink.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have to do the 60K service & possibly change the o2 sensors but am I gonna see any better MPG?
Probably not.

Stop and go driving when I first got the car I was seeing around 27mpg. Last summer I was seeing 35-37 mpg (highway commute), this summer it was more like 32-34 mpg highway.

350 Posts
If you're complaining about the power output and using the overdrive cancel to pass other pars, then you're leadfooting it. You can get great mpg out if these cars, but you'll have to leave earlier and drive slower.

City traffic or highway congestion is really rough on accent mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
My driving is normally 75 - 85% city and my average over the last year has been pretty steady at around 30 mph. Better in the winter, the a/c is on all summer down here in FL.

Premium fuel isn't going to make a difference one way or another in the Accent.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
your fuel economy isn't that bad really....sorry but the official numbers always lie.

here's what you can do:

- probably time for new plugs if they have not yet been done. inspect the wires while you're there.

- check brakes for dragging/seized caliper.

- don't drive as hard, take extra weight out of the car. maybe a toolbox in the trunk?

- make sure your tires are inflated correctly and wearing evenly. uneven wear can indicate an alignment problem which can affect FE if bad enough.

- make sure your belts are tight. slipping belts can represent energy loss.

- whats the trans fluid looking like? you're about at the time to flush it. that can cause a drop in FE if its polluted enough.

- oil changes done on schedule?

- check the intake for blockages, even look in the tailpipe for same. replace the air filter if you feel like it, but don't expect it to improve anything unless its really caked up with crap.

- may be worthwhile to disconnect neg. battery terminal for a good hour or so. this will clear any learned diving data the ECU has. some will attempt to adjust for your driving style, but don't always do it so well. its worth a shot at the very least.

sensors should be replaced when the ECU tells you its done. not before. the car will tell you when there's a problem with a sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My O& GS gets 29 mpg average commuting 20 miles to Queens from The Bronx. 31 MPG when I go upstate via the highways. Highway steady 75 mph I get 31mpg. Steady since the beginning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts