Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I have 2.9 terracan which has had a few heating issues and a build up of sludge causing overheating.I have completed the following .

Replaced radiator
Replaced matrix
Heater motor
Replaces all hoses
Chemical co2 test for head gasket.
Replaced thermostat

So the issue I have at the moment is that the heater system is working plenty of hot air. But it continues to lose coolant after it has been driven.about a liter in a 40 mile trip.

The vehicle is not overheating at the moment.

I can only think now that the head gasket is faulty.

No oil contamination No loss of oil constant amount

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
138 Posts
check rad cap washer swells and stops cap working correctly. and also dip pipe in expansion bottle about 6 in long, if level in expansion tank low or dip pipe missing / fallen off will cause constant failure of system to refill expansion / contraction through cap.

you can try this
do not laugh it has worked on my friends land rover freelander.

https://www.kseal.com/uk/expert-adv...kWYkIe4JbBzWbs9FG_tffB6ZsKeH4utAaAja9EALw_wcB

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok So I have 2.9 terracan which has had a few heating issues and a build up of sludge causing overheating.I have completed the following .

Replaced radiator
Replaced matrix
Heater motor
Replaces all hoses
Chemical co2 test for head gasket.
Replaced thermostat

So the issue I have at the moment is that the heater system is working plenty of hot air. But it continues to lose coolant after it has been driven.about a liter in a 40 mile trip.

The vehicle is not overheating at the moment.

I can only think now that the head gasket is faulty.

No oil contamination No loss of oil constant amount

Any thoughts would be welcome.
What is "A few heating issues"? How many km/miles?
A liter in 40 miles is way too much. All that coolant had to go somewhere.

If said heating issues were engine overheating, then warped head/gasket may have resulted.
Have a friend watch for white exhaust smoke when starting cold.

https://gobdp.com/blog/what-are-the-symptoms-of-a-blown-head-gasket/
EDIT: Do not use the sealant the video guy pitches - just learn the symptoms.

Google "cylinder leak down test" - any mechanic can do this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Guys here is the outcome after completing all of the above as the coolant loss is into the overflow bottle.So this is what I did.

Started the engine and left the rad cap OFF when the vehicle cam up to temperature I saw that every 7 seconds it would release a large air bubble and come right over the top.There were no air bubbles when it was cold only when at temperature.

Having tried everything else decided to remove the cylinder head gasket and sure enough there was a slight tear showing.

Now going to clean it all up and replace a new gasket .

I will update when completed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts