Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the beginning of October marked one year of ownership for our GT.

2013 GT, Automatic, 17,000 miles. No sunroof or NAV.

So far:

• Gas mileage is a tick below 30 mpg. 29.7 to be exact.
  • Car has not developed any rattles or broken trim.
  • All accessories still work properly except for voice command, which never worked.
  • Paint seems very thin. Car has a high number of rock dings on the front end and hood. Almost all of these dings go through the paint.
  • Tires still look and perform as when new.
  • Our dealer has been great, but any communication with Hyundai Corp is a cluster. The website is terrible and they can't seem to get communication going to one email. With our previous Hyundai we used my email account, and with this one we used my wife's, since it's primarily her car. We get some stuff going to me, some going to her, and we just got a phone call from customer service saying they had no email listed for us. :confused:

Overall it's been a great car aside from the MPG thing and the Blue Link (horrible system). Yea, it's a little squirrley when pushed, but it's not a sports car so I don't expect it to act like one.

YMMV

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'll add my thoughts here too. Some of mine are similar to yours.

• Squirrely back end was fixed with KYB stock upgrade
  • Added new tires before shock upgrade to improve ride
  • Nav system is great in major cities, but falls short in the more rural areas compared to an older Garmin unit I have
  • Rock and stone chips seem fairly easy to cause as well compared to other cars
  • I get approx 480-500kms per full tank according to the car gauge
  • Pops and squeaks in the sunroof
  • XM radio had poor reception in eastern Canada
  • Two pieces of trim fell off the small rear windows
  • Dealer has been great and all warranty issues (except sunroof popping) have been fixed no issues
  • Had to get an alignment done...this was an adventure due to specs being wrong at shop and dealers
  • Sound system is good, but the 'random' playlist feature is not quite random
  • Interior leather and trim is like new still. Good quality materials inside

Overall I still like the car. Love the styling and no major issues other than that mentioned above. A bit of rattling and such. Hopefully the rattling and popping can be remedied by the dealer this fall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[*]Had to get an alignment done...this was an adventure due to specs being wrong at shop and dealer
Did you end up going with the stock alignment specs or have a qualified shop modify to suit? I saw the official specs in another thread a while ago and they seemed a little on the extreme side

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you end up going with the stock alignment specs or have a qualified shop modify to suit? I saw the official specs in another thread a while ago and they seemed a little on the extreme side
Had stock alignment done at a Hyundai dealer.

·
22,793 Posts
So, the beginning of October marked one year of ownership for our GT.
Congrats! Nice to get that first one under your belt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I may not have a year of ownership but I have nearly 8000 miles on my GT already:) Just purchased in July too...

In the past 10 days I've driven nearly 2200 miles (mostly at 80mph) and getting 32.9mpg indicated. That's roughly 31mpg real world, I wish it were better but you really can't complain at those speeds!

·
Registered
54 Posts
One year as of early August. Turned over 12K miles about a month later. I have noticed a 2-3 MPG improvement on the highway. Got 36 MPG at 70-75 MPH on a recent trip with AC on. Definite improvement. Better mileage around town also. I have seen this before on other cars where once the engine gets broken in, it has more power and better mileage.

·
Registered
894 Posts
1 yr anniversary

picked my GT up 1 year ago yesterday. just under 21,000 kms.
Only been back to the dealer once... to register for my fuel credit.. and to purchase a touch-up paint kit.

No issues at all to report. Everything works as it did and supposed to. A number of stone chips and small scratches... but not the cars fault.

Happy with the handling and performance for what it is...
The worst I can say about the car is the poor winter performance of the 17" stock Hankook tires... and slightly disappointed in the fuel mileage to what my expectations were and the performance the car delivers.
I will be happy if the following years result in the same trouble free experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've also got 1 year under my belt (22,000 miles) and the scale is tipped toward satisfied with this car. Minor issues with comfort and ergonomics, the ultra-cheap carpet, and the excessive paint chips on the front end (subpar paint is totally inexcusable these days at any price point). Still though, this car is holding up well. It's feature-packed, tight as a drum, responsive, purrs like a kitten, and gets me from home to work with a sense of reliability and practicality. It also looks cool and feels much more safe and stylish than it should for the price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My car is one year old as of Oct 28th. 28,000miles so far and overall its not a "bad" car for what i paid ($21k) and what it is (korean econo car).

- love the interior....the fit finish materials and features are still impressive and i love the look/style (i have the style package with leather and pano roof)
- pretty happy with my mileage...i avg 32-35 depending on how i drive during that tank and i have only gotten under 30mpg on one tank and that was when i was pushing hard with 4 ppl in it and driving around the city...it turned 29.2mpg...not too shabby
- really like the look of the car....the shape and the body is (dare i say) "sexy" for a 5-door hatchback.
- no mechanical issues of any kind (other than the car was delivered mis-alligned which the dealer fixed on day 2)
- highway ride is comfy and good for cruising...i drive alot so this is good
- bluetooth is awesome....ppl can hear me perfect and i them.
- driver select steering...i actually change it quite often as i like the comfort or normal on the highway and the sport around town.
- for a base stereo it sounds pretty good.

Dislikes:
- the chassis dynamics SUCK BALLS!! I have never driven a car that gets this jittery on anything less than perfect pavement...i have done the rear KYB shock upgrade which helped but this chassis is in serious need of some tuning...Hyundai needs to consult with Honda or Mazda....a car with a rear beam can perform well...look at the honda fit and mazda 2....much more sorted out despite their rear beams. That being said the car corners ok...more a credit to wide 215/45 17 tires and a low curb weight than the suspension tunning.
- no steering feel or feedback whatsoever. Its a little too isolated.
- my dealer is a bunch of idiots...just not a very classy bunch and the place is a dump...its always dirty and smells like 2day old coffee...but there isnt another one close so im stuck
- the sunroof squeaking/creaking...dealer couldn't find issue after 3 days of trying by driving it all over...yet as soon as i pulled out of their lot the **** thing creaked and popped...IDIOTS i tell you...im just going to live with it...it doesnt really bother me that much i just thought i would try to get it fixed since i read others had.
- seat takes a while to get comfy in....but i found the sweet spot after about 3 months of driving.
- oh and i agree with others the paint isnt very good...my whole front end is really chipped worst then my last few cars at the same or more mileage.

So overall like i said its not bad but there is better out there. Already earmarked the 2014 Mazda3s GT...drove it last week and love it...just need to wait until June when they release it with a manual. The 3 costs more yes but u get a little more car too....the Elantra was a good filler car for me as it accomplished what i wanted...a small car that got good mileage, didnt cost a fortune and had some nice features....let hope this holds true until June.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, it came today. While it's cute, I wish Hyundai would have used the money it wasted on manufacturing and mailing a cheap-o air freshener on a nice paint job for the front end of my GT. I always prefer quality workmanship over slick advertising gimmicks any day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fully agree with Mullyinma. The car looks like a million bucks but drives like 10 cents. The more you own it, the more the cost-cutting becomes apparent.

One more complaint to add is the low quality of the cloth upholstery which stains from anything, even rain drops.

If this car gets totaled or I end up with an extra $10k, I will immediately trade for something else.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Fully agree with Mullyinma. The car looks like a million bucks but drives like 10 cents. The more you own it, the more the cost-cutting becomes apparent.

One more complaint to add is the low quality of the cloth upholstery which stains from anything, even rain drops.

If this car gets totaled or I end up with an extra $10k, I will immediately trade for something else.
I don't understand..... didn't you guys even test drive the Elantra before you bought it ????????????
I test drove several car before buying the GT and found it to be a bargain
compared to the others and I don't have a problem with the driving dynamics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't understand..... didn't you guys even test drive the Elantra before you bought it ????????????
The only thing I could have figured out in a test drive would have been the choppy ride. However, the streets around the dealership were freshly paved and the ride was ok. The tires were overinflated at the dealership as well, so I contributed some of the choppiness to the tires. It took me a week of driving around to realize how bad the ride actually is.

I could not have tested:
- interior staining
- paint chipping
- MPG well below advertised (actually just 1 mpg better than my old Ford Focus ZX3, which I pushed harder)
- sometimes engine shakes in idle with AC-on - dealer says normal for this car.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The only thing I could have figured out in a test drive would have been the choppy ride. However, the streets around the dealership were freshly paved and the ride was ok. The tires were overinflated at the dealership as well, so I contributed some of the choppiness to the tires. It took me a week of driving around to realize how bad the ride actually is.

I could not have tested:
- interior staining
- paint chipping
- MPG well below advertised (actually just 1 mpg better than my old Ford Focus ZX3, which I pushed harder)
- sometimes engine shakes in idle with AC-on - dealer says normal for this car.
Well I guess you learned a expensive lesson..... Drive the car longer
I live in a rural area and the roads are terrible. The GT does just fine.

The Elantra may have a GT name but it's not a sports car...your not going to get results you want for a econo priced car. If you read other car blogs you will find the problems they have in this price range.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've owned several Hyundais and I don't see this car as any worse than those previous cars and in many ways is better, especially the interior. I've not experienced any of the staining as others have reported. It also drives 100x better than our old 2005 Elantra.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Yes I drove it...actually I took it on a pretty long test drive but didn't notice how poor the suspension was until I started driving it every day. That being said I knew going in that Hyundai chassis tuning isn't top notch as that has been widely reported but there were several reasons I bought it...the fuel econ, the look, features, price and availability of a manual trans with the top of the line model. I had to get rid of my '08 Civic Si as it only averaged 24mpg, had 150k miles on it and my commute is 100miles round trip so I cross shopped the following fuel efficient 5-door cars....

- 2013 Ford Focus 5 door SE (drove great, handled well, but Ford reliabiltiy problems scared me away)

- 2013 Mazda3 5 door (drove great, handled well, but i knew it was the last model year and didn't want that, also you couldn't get the manual trans with skyactive engine and sunroof)

-2013 Kia Rio 5 SX (felt like the Elantra, great features, awesome price $18.5 fully loaded, but no sunroof w/manual trans...sunroofs and manual trans are deal breakers for me)

- 2013 Golf TDi 5 door (drove great, awesome mileage from turbo diesel, nice build quality and interior, questionalble reliability and REALLY HIGH price...$26k with all the options i wanted to match what the Elantra had)

- 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport (slow, no 6-spd man, dated interior and features and gets expensive with options)

So i landed on the Elantra because for what i was looking for it worked at the time....unfortunately Mazda knocked one out of the park with the 2014 3 so now that's where I’m headed. I can't bash Hyundai too much though....as I said it’s still a good car, just not great.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
My GT's one year anniversary is November 28, even though his "birthday" was back in May.

I'm coming up on 22000 miles and I really couldn't be happier. Until recently I was getting 35~ MPG but I think the cold is taking its toll and I'm due for an oil change so that could be it.

My only other concern is that the stock tires are probably going to have to be replaced before winter as well, which is disconcerting. 22k is not that much for tires these days so I'm kinda miffed about that.

Otherwise, the only other issue I've had was the trim bits on the back windows, and I haven't contacted the dealer yet to see about replacing them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fifteen months & 11000 km and still having a blast. My biggest problem so far has been getting the bird crap off the rear hatch. I ran out of water this morning so I'll have to finish later today. ;-) Granted, the stock tires are not great but it will soon be time to install the winter tires which make quite a difference in handling. Oh yeah, I also replaced the rear shocks with the KYBs just to raise the fun factor. :-D Couldn't be happier unless I win the lottery & can buy a Lotus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts