Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Sonata Loaded Turbo last week, this is what happened with 330 miles on the car

Short story: Check engine light came on the day I took delivery. Reset by purchasing dealership, said nothing to worry about. 3 days later, stalled getting off the freeway. Towed to nearest dealership, this is the end result. Looks like the valve cracked/melted, and went into the combustion chamber.

Manufacturing defect? I hope so!

Obviously, I'm **** since it's a new car. Let's see how Hyundai steps up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that. I was just looking at a 2011 Turbo today too, still wish I waited for one tho despite what happened to you. I hope all gets resolved soon in you case. I'll be watching this thread later.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Holy crap!!! Though what I said out loud when I saw that was a bit less family friendly. Not a great way to start out the ownership experience but hopefully Hyundai will make it right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yea probably just a fluke...

i mean these things have been tested for 300 hrs of WOT and i have personally done many WOT trials and its fine

sorry to hear though...

·
Registered
232 Posts
A new car would be fair. You got to figure the piston bore is scratched. Then you going to have the engine yanked by a dealer that never worked on this car. What is the carfax going to look like? Let Hyundai sell the car as used.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Dec 5 2010, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377073
A new car would be fair. You got to figure the piston bore is scratched. Then you going to have the engine yanked by a dealer that never worked on this car. What is the carfax going to look like? Let Hyundai sell the car as used.

One step at a time. In the OP's own words, let's see how Hyundai steps up.

Agreed the cylinder walls though... vertical scoring is clearly visible in the last two photos. I'd be surprised if they didn't swap out the whole motor, and send this one back for a new life as a remanufactured unit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 5 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377117

Agreed the cylinder walls though... vertical scoring is clearly visible in the last two photos. I'd be surprised if they didn't swap out the whole motor, and send this one back for a new life as a remanufactured unit.
Yes as this is a new motor Hyundai might want this motor back as a long block (block & heads) to find out why the failure. He might just get a create motor (If you can purchase one for Hyundai).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Exhaust valves came into contact with the piston. Is the 2.0 a timing belt engine? Probably not, more likely a chain... In any case, the collision can only happen when something breaks. That, or something else broke and caused the intake valves to remain open... You don't want this engine rebuilt. I'd bet Hyundai does a failure analysis on it. You get a fresh one, after some rental car time.

G

·
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Dec 5 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377233
Exhaust valves came into contact with the piston. Is the 2.0 a timing belt engine? Probably not, more likely a chain... In any case, the collision can only happen when something breaks. That, or something else broke and caused the intake valves to remain open...
Hmm. This valve broke on its own because it was defective, IMO. May have had a crack in it when the MIL lit up in the first place, or that may have been complete coincidence. Even if it hit the piston before it broke, I doubt it was a timing failure. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they replace that engine. I'm guessing there aren't any 'crate motors' yet. Will Hyundai send an 'extra' engine off the assembly line? Do they have some spares sitting somewhere, just in case? Or are there enough crashes or other failures already that their rebuilder will in fact have some engines available?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 5 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377117

Id have to bet they will do a whole motor replacement and then take the torched motor back to corp for testing. Doubt it will ever see a car platform again.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (Sonny Jim @ Dec 5 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377249
Hmm. This valve broke on its own because it was defective, IMO. May have had a crack in it when the MIL lit up in the first place, or that may have been complete coincidence. Even if it hit the piston before it broke, I doubt it was a timing failure. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they replace that engine. I'm guessing there aren't any 'crate motors' yet. Will Hyundai send an 'extra' engine off the assembly line? Do they have some spares sitting somewhere, just in case? Or are there enough crashes or other failures already that their rebuilder will in fact have some engines available?
From my dealings with Hyundai they wont rebuild the engine they will replace it with a complete engine from the factory.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Dec 5 2010, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377233
Exhaust valves came into contact with the piston. Is the 2.0 a timing belt engine? Probably not, more likely a chain... In any case, the collision can only happen when something breaks.
Those notches in the piston are not from valve contact... they are engineered that way. And while the 2.0T uses a timing chain, this has nothing to do with being an interference or non-interference engine. Most chain AND belt-driven engines are interference-type, with the exception of some Fords and a few others.

My money's on a defective valve that simply cracked due to a metallurgical fault. Hopefully the OP will find out the results and post them, but I suspect that a mechanic's best guess is as far as he'll get.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 8 2010, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378106
Those notches in the piston are not from valve contact... they are engineered that way. And while the 2.0T uses a timing chain, this has nothing to do with being an interference or non-interference engine. Most chain AND belt-driven engines are interference-type, with the exception of some Fords and a few others.

My money's on a defective valve that simply cracked due to a metallurgical fault. Hopefully the OP will find out the results and post them, but I suspect that a mechanic's best guess is as far as he'll get.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really dude?? I may be wrong here, and I retract this whole reply if I am, but if you only had 330 miles on the car, then you did not break the engine in properly before you started racing it. Unfortuneatly, this puts the blame on you. Hopefully I am wrong......... in fact I hope I am.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (Bizzie Kelevra @ Dec 13 2010, 07:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379520
Really dude?? I may be wrong here, and I retract this whole reply if I am, but if you only had 330 miles on the car, then you did not break the engine in properly before you started racing it. Unfortuneatly, this puts the blame on you. Hopefully I am wrong......... in fact I hope I am.
iirc the owners manual states the break-in is 600 miles so are you saying that if the engine fails in less than 600 miles it's not covered because it wasn't broken in properly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (bosco14 @ Dec 13 2010, 11:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379587
iirc the owners manual states the break-in is 600 miles so are you saying that if the engine fails in less than 600 miles it's not covered because it wasn't broken in properly?
Cant say for sure what the service rep will decide. But I would doubt that they would deny fixing this under warranty as valves breaking is not a typical problem on an engine. I'd suspect that a valve cracking like that is either a manufacturing defect in the valve or a manufacturing defect in the tolerances in the valve area.

This isn't a typical break in issue. Break in at least in the old days for an engine was mostly about getting the piston rings seated properly, and honing smooth all the moving surfaces. I know that there is a lot of debate about proper break in. But I'll mention that within the 1st few miles of use modern engines are pretty much broken in. By the time they drive it Off the assembly line on to the trainer boat most of the work is done in seating the rings. The rings seat by combustion pressure.

Let us know how this works out. But this really looks like a manufacuring defect. Never seen this on any other car Ive owned. Had a wrx and a gti and lots of folks drove em off the dealer lot like they stole em and none had broken valves, oil consumption......

I'm interested in how much oil these new engines will swill

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did this issue ever get cleared up? Dimitry, if you still read this what exactly happened when the car had to be towed in? Both me and my neighbor/best friend growing up have 2.0T's. Just this morning he started his up and went inside to let it warm up. About 5 minutes later he came out, backed down the driveway and the car stalled/turned off at the bottom of the drive. It then refused to start again. The dealership just came and towed it away on a flatbed. Be interested to see what happened to it and if it is this same issue.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts