Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

I noticed that my drivers side front is about half inch lower than my passenger side front (this is with me outside of the car).

I've already gotten my springs, struts and upper control arms done.

What could be causing the different stance?

I've heard some springs wear in on the drivers side and eventually end up lower. But my springs have less than 2,000 miles on them, I can't imagine this happening so soon.

I suspect my lower control arm bushings are going bad (car has 140k miles).

Can anyone confirm (especially if they are lowered) whether the stance between the left and right front of the car is even?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I did my front struts - my driver side dropped because the pinch bolt was not tight enough, the indicator on the back of the strut broke off - that wasn't a fun fix.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses!

Springs were done roughly 2,000 miles ago at the same time as the struts).

I actually just got the driver side strut replaced under warranty (thank you, Koni!) because it blew out within the first month of use.

I thought the blown strut was affecting the height, but it wasn't that.

What are the odds I got a bad spring? Is that even common with Eibach? And would the difference be only half inch from side to side?

At this point here's what we've got...

Driver side is half inch lower then passenger side (without me in the car).

I had to get new upper control arms because the bushings were bad and the arm was hitting my tower.

I had to replace a blown strut from the right side within the first month. At first I thought the strut went bad because of my control arm issues, but now I can't help but think I may have a bad spring on that side, as rare as that might be.

Can anyone measure the front of their Sonata's? I want to see if anyone else has a variance in height. I'd rather not kill myself over something that's normal on everyone's car!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
77K miles on OEM springs/struts and I get 7" on right side and 6.75" on the left side, measured to the bottom most point of the rear side of the front wheel wells.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
77K miles on OEM springs/struts and I get 7" on right side and 6.75" on the left side, measured to the bottom most point of the rear side of the front wheel wells.
Thanks ActionMan!

You live up to your name.

That probably means my car should not be half an inch off then. I'll keep digging into this and see what I can find. I have my new LCA coming in early next week, we'll see if anything changes.

If not, I may have to switch what side the Springs are on. I've heard that can sometimes fix the problem. If not, I'll know whether I need a new spring, or whether something else is throwing off the height.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got my lower control arms installed, and while it helped stabilize the car more, it didn't affect the ride height at all.

I'm still about 0.65 inches lower on the driver side then the passenger side.

At this point, I've replaced both control arms, the front stabilizer bar, swapped out koni struts (my old one blew out on the drivers side).

What else could be effecting my ride height?

I'm thinking, perhaps I have the rare situation of having a blown eibach spring. I guess the only way to confirm that is to switch the springs on the front?

What do you guys think, any ideas?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I measured mine...they are equal height to the bottom fender rim..
but.
while driving..I saw passenger side looks lower...
also open the hood...the strut tower on the passenger side seems to look lower too..

still oem...52k km

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I got my lower control arms installed, and while it helped stabilize the car more, it didn't affect the ride height at all.

I'm still about 0.65 inches lower on the driver side then the passenger side.

At this point, I've replaced both control arms, the front stabilizer bar, swapped out koni struts (my old one blew out on the drivers side).

What else could be effecting my ride height?

I'm thinking, perhaps I have the rare situation of having a blown eibach spring. I guess the only way to confirm that is to switch the springs on the front?

What do you guys think, any ideas?
Contact eibach (their warranty looks like it has more holes than swiss cheese)

Eibach Million Mile Warranty | performance-suspension.eibach.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have this same issue. I’ve replaced all control arms, linkages, ball joints, and the strut/spring assemblies on both sides with quick struts. I first noticed my passenger side was sagging which prompted me to start throwing parts at it.

Measurements are from the bottom of the Hyundai logo on the wheel to the bottom of the fender arch
Driver F: 16.5
Passenger F: 17
Both rear 16.25

1 - 10 of 10 Posts