Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have owned my SF 2.0T AWD with leather and no TECH package for one month and 4K miles. I felt i would post some thoughts on the car as there seems to be a lot of people on the site contemplating a purchase. First i live in MA and also have a home in ME, which is where i bought my SF. I was impressed with the dealers dealability, my wife and I establish a number based on research and feel, and see where they come in. We both agreed on a # without speaking and the first number they came with was the one we both chose, which was extremely agressive, so i adjusted down by $1500. They matched that, we bought it, that said this is a great vehicle and they want to sell them go buy one. First month impressions:
Fit and Finish-great all areas in and out are put together very well the interior is quiet, comfortable and well put together controls are easily accessible there are no weird noises
Performance-the turbo motor has alot of snap moving the car as swiftly as needed any occasion, all the while returning an average of 23mpg first month. the transmission shifts well and does not hunt for a gear. My only drivetrain bitch so far is a vibration above 4k rpm that feels like an exhaust heat shield out of place, next service i will address this. (Already had one oil change) excellent service in a dealer where i did not purchase my car quick clean correct. Just what you want.
Space the seats fold easily and move forward or back my two golden retrievers love the space behind the seats it is very spacious for their combined 160 lbs with them in back we have more than enough space to carry cargo of any kind
Front seat passenger space extremely nice both sides, i am a little disappointed that the power passenger seat is only back and forth and back rest, no up and down movement for the cushion. But the car is comfortable for both people.
Handling-is very good for a car this size it is getting much easier for me to feel the car and place it on the highway or two lane equally, the brakes are very good as well with no drama. I have had no steering issues that some bitch about, wandering on the highway and issues like that none at all. I do run my tires 2-3 lbs-psi over recommended inflation pressure and i leave the steering set on sport period.
This vehicle replaced a VW Jetta sportwagen TDI while the SF can't hope to equal the mileage the vw got it is a lifetime ahead in refinement and feel. Prior to the vw I owned two Volvo XC70's this car is easily as refined and performs better. Including mpg and handling. I have owned 4 Recent VW's and 4 recent Volvo's ie last 15 years and this vehicle is very good in comparison as well as when compared to my wife's '11 Infiniti g25x
I traded out because the vw was starting to self destruct after 87k and 2.5 years of ownership
I purchased this after having recommended many hyundai/kia's over the last two years. I have driven alot of them as i rent 60+ times a year as well, every one of them was very impressive and easily outpaced it's competition. The bluetooth integration with Iphone is very good and the audio/controls are also good. You can change music from the wheel on BT.

In short if you are considering one go in drive it and see if you can make a deal i was pleasantly surprised with both.
If you have a specific question ask away and i will give you an honest answer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
List price $33600 trade value 17100 net $16500 i figure a raw trade of $13k is about right all rebates incentives etc included in the net

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice detailed report. Check your power seat controls again. My Sport has fore and aft, and up and down control (small as it is) on the same control buttom, seat back control and a lumbar adjustment. My wife had the seat set so high I was looking down at her. Something that after 49 years I know I shouldn't do!!! :D
Taking off for our first real road trip to TN today. 700 mile round trip in the Smokies including a road up to our old favorite B&B that reminds me of the Chimney Rock Hill Climb days. I am going to try to get videos with the dash cam and post on these forums when we get back.
Enjoy you new SFS and keep us informed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
next service i will address this. (Already had one oil change) excellent service in a dealer where i did not purchase my car quick clean correct. Just what you want.
If you don't mind me asking, did you use a local dealer in MA (and if so, which one)? I live next door in Freetown and bought a Santa Fe GLS AWD out of state last month, so that would be useful info. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil change at Balise in Hyannis, but I have bought parts at Rte. 44 and found them to be OK as well. I fly out of Hyannis most every week so I leave my car and pick it up when I get back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John, beats me how they arrived my guesstimated trade value is what I researched it to be at, but the dealer does own a VW store so maybe they cheated both ends doc fee $399, I just look at the Bottom line

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oil change at Balise in Hyannis, but I have bought parts at Rte. 44 and found them to be OK as well. I fly out of Hyannis most every week so I leave my car and pick it up when I get back.
Thanks. Route 44 is super convenient, but I've been leery about going there for service after experiencing the futility of trying to get them to sell me a car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added input:
I set my selective steering in sport and leave it there I don't find a big difference with the other settings but that works best for me.
After exhaustive studies I don't use the ecco button either I find it does not improve mpg at all, the only thing I find it does do is turn on another light on the dash which is already a f-/:;;())g christmas tree at night.
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
105 Posts
Added input:
I set my selective steering in sport and leave it there I don't find a big difference with the other settings but that works best for me.
After exhaustive studies I don't use the ecco button either I find it does not improve mpg at all, the only thing I find it does do is turn on another light on the dash which is already a f-/:;;())g christmas tree at night.
Thanks for reading
Is there a dimmer for the dash lighting?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes there is a dimmer but the audio stack stays to bright while the rest i can get dim
I can't speak to the non-nav units, but in the setup screen of my unit, there is a brightness setting. Maybe the same exists in the settings of the non-nav audio systems?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes there is a non nav dimmer but the unit is still to bright on any setting auto-night-day that is at NIGHT to bright during the day you have to turn it up to make sure the backup cam is bright. I do alot of driving in very country areas and would like to dim the dash etc so that you cant tell the color of my shirt when you drive by me. I can live with my christmas tree dash but would love to dim the audio unit. My wife's Infiniti is the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok back again 3months 11k miles 4 oil changes, So after living with it here we go I have zero gripes with fit,finish driveability. I have come to understand and live with the christmas tree dash lighting, it is however still too bright. I have achieved as high as 26mpg (@75-80mph highway) and have never had a tank fall below 20mpg (old fashioned with a calculator) I do not get any steering wander on the highway if I think I do it is usually attributed to a high crown in the road or some other s:',,.t. I do not like the rocks in a coffee can exhaust note, the engine deserves to sound much more refined I'll see how it progresses, but above 3k rpm it gets awful cheap sounding. It is quite fast it will do 0-60 in 7-8 sec easily and will pull hard and strong (albeit with an ugly sound) right thru to 110 where I ran out of road. If you power brake it to about 2500k and let off the brake there is no wheel spin (traction control off) just a rearward set and you are gone. I feel sure it will accelerate hard thru 120+ I have been very impressed with its versatility and comfort I traded a VW Jetta wagon TDI and other than the obvious mileage tradeoff I have no regrets.

·
Registered
163 Posts
4 months and 4k miles here... I'm getting a solid 24/25mpg in my mixed driving, for which I am very pleased with.

If you think the SFS has bright dash lights... my friend has a previous generation Ford Escape hybrid, and the thing is so bright at night, it's as if the dome light is on.

I am liking the SFS so far. The drivers seat is just okay, though. However, all that changed today when I had to drop it off for them to correct a teeny-tiny paint flaw in the spoiler. They put me into a rental... Oh my goodness. Nothing to make you love your car more than driving a POS rental. It's an Altima, which I thought would be decent enough. Horrible, lumpy seat. Loud, unrefined engine. Ick. Can't wait to get back into my SFS!

Interestingly enough... going back to a 'normal' steering wheel, it almost feels like there is no power steering (well, not really, but you really feel the difference)... I think I end up preferring the SFS. I never had any wandering issues, and like that I can select the mode.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I realized I never updated this, radio stack top button on the right that says display, press it and guess what the radio display goes out. I found the same on my wife's car as well as my occasional Mercedes my faith is restored. And I can see much better at night, in the darker areas I sometimes travel thru.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts