Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I ask the dealer, they tell me it's a 75L tank, but my gas light comes on near the end of the gas indicator, as it does with every car. I have driven it as much as I can before I get too nervous and even on the worst fill up, it's 63L for the fill-up.

So...

Is it a 65L tank or is it a 75L tank with an early check engine light?

·
Registered
976 Posts
QUOTE (skanji @ Apr 27 2010, 07:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317225
Everytime I ask the dealer, they tell me it's a 75L tank, but my gas light comes on near the end of the gas indicator, as it does with every car. I have driven it as much as I can before I get too nervous and even on the worst fill up, it's 63L for the fill-up.

So...

Is it a 65L tank or is it a 75L tank with an early check engine light?
The OM sets the fuel tank at 19.8 US Gallons which comes to about 75.24L This has been debated to death.. some claim a really big reserve, early warning so you don't run out of fuel and extra kept in the tank to keep the pump cool.. who knows.
The only way to really find out is to throw a gas can in the back and run it dry.. but what damage that could cause is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It isn't just Hyundai who seems to either understate or simply have an early warning system with fuel tanks. When I had my Honda Civic I once put 57 litres into a 50 litre tank...that was about 1/8 full when I started pumping. The reason it all speculation, but just be happy each time you fill up you know it's not truly 75L you're needing to pay for :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The fuel gauge on my '04 is brutally honest and doesn't screw around at all. When the needle hits 'E' and the light comes on, you've got precisely 2 gallons (7.57 liters) left which means around 35 miles left to find gas, a little more on the freeway. The OM says it's a 19 gallon tank and I've gotten it to take 18.9 gallons. And yes I ran out of gas once before with no repercussions.

I almost never run it that low anymore and will fill up when the gauge shows 1/4 or 1/8, depending on what I'm doing. I see the light maybe once or twice a year

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
All 2008 Santa Fes sold in Canada - and probably around the world - come with a 75 litre tank according to the brochure and the owner's manual.

I've driven for miles with the fuel light on and never fit more than 65 litres in there, so yes, there's a big reserve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the the fire :) on this one, my owner's manual (Canada 2010 Santa Fe) states on page 8-5 that the fuel capacity is 68L (17.96 US gal). This of course flies in the face of all the other published numbers of 75L (19.8 US gal). What number do those of you with a US owner's manual have? Perhaps the lower number is the value at which the low fuel light is supposed to illuminate?

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (ian.n @ Apr 30 2010, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318228
Just to add some fuel to the the fire :) on this one, my owner's manual (Canada 2010 Santa Fe) states on page 8-5 that the fuel capacity is 68L (17.96 US gal). This of course flies in the face of all the other published numbers of 75L (19.8 US gal). What number do those of you with a US owner's manual have? Perhaps the lower number is the value at which the low fuel light is supposed to illuminate?

Cheers,
Ian
I note you have a 2010, not one of the earlier CM models. My 2008 shows 19.8 gal capacity in the manual, and I tend to believe it. After a few months of never being able to jam in more than about 15 gallons when the light popped on, I started keeping track. The DTE says 30 miles (or 35? No, I think 30) when it goes to "---". I've driven 60 miles beyond that point (technically 30 miles beyond empty) and have still never been able to jam more than 16.3 gallons into the tank. One of these days when I'm in town and in the mood with a 5 gal can in the back, I will go ahead and drive the thing far enough to see if those remaining 3.5 gallons are really in there! I'm estimating that I'll need to drive a full 120 miles+ after the DTE goes into "---" mode to find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts