Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I've posted this since 2013, and same old same old with Hyundai yet to make an appearance maybe if they expand the list to top 50 ........

Top 15 Vehicles Owners Keep for 15 Years or Longer
RankCar% 15+ Year Old Cars Kept by Original Owners Compared to Average
1Toyota Highlander18.3%2.4x
2Toyota Sienna15.5%2.0x
3Toyota Tacoma14.5%1.9x
4Toyota Tundra14.2%1.8x
5Subaru Forester12.8%1.7x
6Toyota RAV412.7%1.6x
7Honda Pilot12.6%1.6x
8Honda CR-V12.4%1.6x
9Toyota Prius11.9%1.5x
10Toyota 4Runner11.8%1.5x
11Honda Odyssey11.6%1.5x
12Toyota Corolla11.4%1.5x
13Toyota Camry11.0%1.4x
14Honda Civic11.0%1.4x
15Toyota Land Cruiser10.6%1.4x
Overall Average7.7%-
Link to Table

·
Registered
856 Posts
I’m not surprised at all, Hyundai/Kia has a 5 year warranty but once the warranty are up then issues started to creep up. IMO Hyundai/Kia are not reliable at all and if they happen to have it for almost 10 years then they must be some of the lucky ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
No problem here. 2007 Hyundai SantaFe bought new and still in the family with about 175,000 miles and running great and going strong.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now at 320,000km - 200,000 mi. on our 2007 3.3L Ltd. AWD.

Runs like new at 14 years old. Still in excellent shape. No rust and we are in the rust belt.

Plan on keeping it a few more years.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't think it is any surprise that Toyota and Honda are the majority of the vehicles listed. They generally have good repair histories, but they are often more expensive to purchase.

Keep in mind that there are differences between owners as well. By that I mean....Having had many franchises under our belt over the years (Chervolet, Datsun/Nissan, Volkswagen, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, and Volvo) that the type of people who buy certain vehicles are different. Some of you may not like this, but as an example...Toyota and Nissan owners maintained their vehicles better overall. They expected to pay for factory required maintenance and have few issues following the maintenance schedules. Chevrolet owners on the other hand often balk at anything beyond an engine oil change and tire rotation and often push those past their limits. Then when their tires wear out early they come in expecting someone to pay to replace the tires.

Toyota and Nissan owners generally have fewer issues paying for out of warranty repairs while Chevrolet owners tend to expect GM to pay for things outside of the warranty, gripe about prices more often and try to "negotiate" a better service price, etc.... Actually had an owner come in yesterday who wanted to do his own oil change and expected us to sell him bulk oil rather than him going out and buying the eight quarts of oil he needed to do the maintenance on his Silverado. $40,000 to $70,000 vehicle and he's trying to work angles to get the oil he needs to do the maintenance at a lower price......

Now how does this impact that list? Owners who maintain their vehicles and who do not mind paying for maintenance and repairs are more likely to keep their vehicles because they are more likely to have lesser repairs due to following the maintenance schedules and are generally happier and more satisfied people overall. Owner who expect their vehicles to last for 150,000 miles without ever failing and who expect someone else to pay for out of warranty repairs, no matter how simple the repair may be, are more likely to dump the vehicle early looking for greener pastures.

Not all inclusive of course, but having worked at a number of these franchises over the years I can say that I truly find that the type of owners for each franchise are different.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Greysave you are absolutely correct. Different brands have buyers with differing service expectations.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Something I will add to the comments from greysave. Having owned a Lexus, Toyota, GMC, Ford, Chrysler and Hyundai I was never pressured or had "up sell" tactics used on me at the dealer for service by Lexus or Toyota. On my GMC, Ford, Chrysler and Hyundai it was an every time thing. Until recently the Hyundai dealer would just "recommend" the extra work and when I would decline they would say they would note it in the comments and maybe have the extra service done next time. The last time at the Hyundai dealer the service advisor simply would not stop, telling me I needed over $1,200 worth of work done because our Santa Fe was dangerous to drive. I was pretty much kicked out of the dealership when I told them to stop the up sell and had to get more forceful with my tone. The service advisor later apologized to me, but at one point he had stated to me that he wasn't my kid or dog and he would not stop because I told him to. One item in particular that was being pushed was the brakes, he said they were shot. Over 20,000 miles later and the brakes are still fine. I know in the spring time they will probably need to be done, they are getting a little on the thin side but definitely not "dangerous". The dealership experience has a lot to do with how long you will keep your cars. When the dealers are constantly telling you that your car needs all the extra work, the dealership is basically saying that the product is junk and constantly needs work. Especially true for people that are not mechanically inclined, they will keep a car that has no problems vs keeping a car that they are constantly being told needs extra work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sometimes it's not about length of time but the # of miles. Kept my 2005 Elantra for 12 years, 225000 miles, my wife had her 99 Accord for 18 years, 260000 miles. Our Veracruz we got used but is now 12+ years old, 186000 miles and counting.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hyundai places no 4 on the list of brands people keep the longest. And this study reflects vehicles from MY 1981 to 2004 - and I think it would be fair to say Hyundai has improved it's vehicles significantly in that time frame while adding more models to their product line. Whether or not Toyota can sustain it's leadership in overall quality while maintaining current sales volumes remains to be seen, Hyundai has a business model that appeals to a growing number of customers and that model may well be not to build cars that are as long lasting as Toyota. As one post pointed out - in 10 yrs they are ready for a newer car anyways.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was never pressured or had "up sell" tactics used on me at the dealer for service by Lexus or Toyota.
I had a very different experience with the Toyota I owned for 12 years.
Like the service writer who came to tell me my trans oil was dirty.
I pointed out that I had changed it 3300 miles earlier.
He then said I should get it flushed, as just changing is not a thorough job.
Mind you, this was a manual transmission.
I had gone there for a recall, and I'm sure they weren't thrilled to see me leave without pulling out my credit card.
Another time my power steering fluid was dirty. Again, I had recently flushed.
Of course, some dealers are worse than others.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a very different experience with the Toyota I owned for 12 years.
Like the service writer who came to tell me my trans oil was dirty.
I pointed out that I had changed it 3300 miles earlier.
He then said I should get it flushed, as just changing is not a thorough job.
Mind you, this was a manual transmission.
I had gone there for a recall, and I'm sure they weren't thrilled to see me leave without pulling out my credit card.
Another time my power steering fluid was dirty. Again, I had recently flushed.
Of course, some dealers are worse than others.
Did a search on dealership sat rankings, found 2 , autoguide ranking hyundai and kia, 1 and 2 , then JD powers ranking them much further down, the criteria used to survey could be a lot different. There are some pretty lame Hyundai dealers in the Denver area as well as some good ones, I visit one annually for mpg reading and have several recalls done and they don't try to sell me any services but do conduct a courtesy vehicle check despite me telling them not to bother, but it is done accurately and honestly - tread depth, brake lining, fluids, etc. YMMV on dealerships.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a search on dealership sat rankings, found 2 , autoguide ranking hyundai and kia, 1 and 2 , then JD powers ranking them much further down, the criteria used to survey could be a lot different. There are some pretty lame Hyundai dealers in the Denver area as well as some good ones, I visit one annually for mpg reading and have several recalls done and they don't try to sell me any services but do conduct a courtesy vehicle check despite me telling them not to bother, but it is done accurately and honestly - tread depth, brake lining, fluids, etc. YMMV on dealerships.
correction autoguide ranked Hyundai 7 and KIA no 8. not far from JD Powers at 10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts