Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
The information on this forum is amazing, thanks all for contributing.
I have found what I think to be a great deal on a '14 Sonata Hybrid Limited.
$7,500
164,xxx kilometers
1 owner (other than dealership) with great maintenance records. According to Carfax, they owner serviced the vehicle every 7k km.

There was an accident resulting in an insurance claim of $10k CAD. This was at 94k kilometers; many kilometers ago.

Test drive was great. It did seem a bit sluggish (coming from a zippy old Civic), but I imagine that comes from it being a large-ish hybrid. That was pretty much my only concern.
I have an inspection appointment tomorrow.

This has been the hardest car to research thus far, for me. There is a lot more wrriten on the '12 and '16 hybrids, not too much in the '14 out there.

To those of you who've owned a '14 hybrid, how's it been?

(I'm also eyeing an AWD '13 Ford Taurus, but it won't be available for a while. Just putting this option in context.)

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FTR, the referenced accident was front-end, resulting in no frame damage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
At 160K you should have received new spark plugs. Check for lower ball joint looseness (not cheap), Change transmission fluid every 80,000 kilometers, for now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 160K you should have received new spark plugs. Check for lower ball joint looseness (not cheap), Change transmission fluid every 80,000 kilometers, for now.
Thanks! I took it for inspection and had those checked. All good. But after the inspection the car didn't start up, at all. The mechanic said it may be a fluke, but at worst case I'd have to buy a new battery.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Hybrid Starter Generator belt usually has a 60,000 mile change interval. If you do not have records showing you're still well within 60,000 miles of the last change that will be a multi-hundred expense. If you do not have a dealer replace that belt, note that many people have had problems with the tensioners for that belt failing on older models. It seems to have become routine to replace the tensioners at the same time as the belt.

Are you aware that there are two batteries? If the little 12 volt one in the trunk is not fairly new I'd replace it as well. There are several threads about replacements from AutoZone much cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Hybrid Starter Generator belt usually has a 60,000 mile change interval. If you do not have records showing you're still well within 60,000 miles of the last change that will be a multi-hundred expense. If you do not have a dealer replace that belt, note that many people have had problems with the tensioners for that belt failing on older models. It seems to have become routine to replace the tensioners at the same time as the belt.

Are you aware that there are two batteries? If the little 12 volt one in the trunk is not fairly new I'd replace it as well. There are several threads about replacements from AutoZone much cheaper than the dealer.
I already know that the battery needs to be replaced, and that's fine.
I'm a bit queasy about buying a used hybrid, and I'm not thrilled to learn about this "starter generator belt" needing to be replaced. The mechanic I took it to for inspection never mentioned it, and it seems the vast majority of mechanics in my neighborhood (Montreal) are entirely unfamiliar with hybrid systems.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Think of it as a serpentine belt. If it breaks you stop but unlike a timing belt failure I don't think it damages anything.

Do you have the VIN number? If so, or you can get it, run it through here and see what comes up: Hyundai - Recalls

I'd feel better if the mileage was in the 90's instead of 102,000 miles. It's kind of out of warranty on about everything. Does the seller have good maintenance records?

Since you specified the mileage in kilometers instead of miles, is the $7,500 US or Canadian dollars?

A dealer where I had service recently sent me a letter offering me a pittance for my 2016 Unlimited Ultimate with 50,000 miles on a trade-in on a 2020 model. I declined.

Pittance.PNG

·
Registered
496 Posts
That's why I will learn all I can and keep mine and drive it into the ground over hopefully a long period of time. I really like my 2016 Base SE vehicle as it has returned excellent economy and been reliable. They want to buy yours for $10K and then make a profit on that too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think of it as a serpentine belt. If it breaks you stop but unlike a timing belt failure I don't think it damages anything.

Do you have the VIN number? If so, or you can get it, run it through here and see what comes up: Hyundai - Recalls

I'd feel better if the mileage was in the 90's instead of 102,000 miles. It's kind of out of warranty on about everything. Does the seller have good maintenance records?

Since you specified the mileage in kilometers instead of miles, is the $7,500 US or Canadian dollars?

A dealer where I had service recently sent me a letter offering me a pittance for my 2016 Unlimited Ultimate with 50,000 miles on a trade-in on a 2020 model. I declined.

View attachment 447067
Thanks so much for the explanation and for providing that link. Per the link (which correctly identified my vehicle), there are no open or closed campaigns on the vehicle.
In Canada we have something called Carfax, not sure if it's available in the states. It shows excellent maintenance records, roughly around every 7,000 km (~ 4,350 miles).
It's $7,500 CAD, which is roughly $5,350 USD.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, this looks like another high-dollar purchase of mine that held its value... :rolleyes:

If you could get the seller to agree to a dealer inspection at a dealer that has hybrid certified techs, maybe split the cost with them, you could get a better feel.

Yes, we have Carfax. The dealers and repair facilities that sign up with them automatically transmit the maintenance records to Carfax so it's supposed to be reliable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If a mechanic leaves the ignition on for a medium period of time it takes the small battery down to a level where it doesn't start. Recharge it. For a new one get an H6R model. The hybrid transmission are considered by Hyundai mechanics to be very strong. Not prone to failure. They have the electric motor in place of the torque converter. My only quirk is below 0 celsius, the tranny does not easily making the first shift of the day, between 1st and 2nd. So I flip the stick left, do it manually, then flick the stick back to the right. That's all. I live with it.;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If a mechanic leaves the ignition on for a medium period of time it takes the small battery down to a level where it doesn't start. Recharge it. For a new one get an H6R model. The hybrid transmission are considered by Hyundai mechanics to be very strong. Not prone to failure. They have the electric motor in place of the torque converter. My only quirk is below 0 celsius, the tranny does not easily making the first shift of the day, between 1st and 2nd. So I flip the stick left, do it manually, then flick the stick back to the right. That's all. I live with it.;)
Thanks!
I only just moved to Canada, so for the time being if it's below 0 Celcius the car won't be the only thing not doing its first shift of the day. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts