Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an old-school XS HID-kit with their fancy adapted HID bulbs that remove shadows on a 2011 Sonata Limited. Has held up over the years quite well actually... only one hiccup a few years back where the passenger bulb burnt out - they sent me a replacement when they were still around. I changed this bulb recently... and the passenger bulb burned out again. At this point, wondering if it might be an issue with the HID kit itself ie. somewhere along the pathway (ballasts, wires...) After all, it is around 7-8 years old.

What would others recommend in my circumstance? Should I purchase another set of HID bulbs and see if it works with my current setup? I could pick-up a set of H7B Morimoto bulbs here in Canada for aroujnd $50. Alternatively, I can refresh the entire set and pick up a new kit (any recommendations if I go this route? Morimoto kits seem like they're popular here).

My last thought was perhaps to convert to an LED setup, which - on the surface - appears like it's quite less of a headache in terms of installation. That being said, reading a few threads here suggests that LEDs as low beams are NOT preferred. Wondering if some could educate me as to why? There seem to be quite a few kits on the market specific for low-beam LED setups (ie. XenonHIDs LED Kit 2011 Sonata)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
In my experience with our projectors, the LED bulbs don't focus well straight down the road. Sure they light up bright to the sides, but not straight forward. Just like the shadow you get with normal H& HIDS needing the H7B to flip the filament, these have a shadow on the top and bottom and across the front....so it would be like your HID with two filaments and a filament over the top. LED replacements seem to work well in reflector housings but not our projectors. You may find some that do work, but I haven't seen any yet. If bulbs continue to burn out, the likely their power source is the issue and replacing with a new HID kit, one where the MFG is still around to provide warrranty/support, would be more ideal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I still have a good xs ballast if you want it. Let me look around.

As for bulbs Morimoto is your best choice for the H7B.
I'm in Canada so it might be a hassle to get it to me - but if it works out I'd be happy to take it off your hands! I'm debating just swapping over to a full Morimoto kit. It has been 8 years or so, afterall.. hah.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The LEDs I installed in both the Elantra and the Tuscon have been fantastic in the projectors. Excellent projection down the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can also purchase hid bulb replacement from ddm tuning. I have hid kid from them for almost 4 years and no issues. They are selling his h7 universal bulbs. It means you can install it with ground wire at 6 o'clock to eliminate shadow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can also purchase hid bulb replacement from ddm tuning. I have hid kid from them for almost 4 years and no issues. They are selling his h7 universal bulbs. It means you can install it with ground wire at 6 o'clock to eliminate shadow.
Is it me or the Morimoto 5k is just way too white it almost looks like a factory bulb. I tried the Morimoto bulbs with Kensun ballast and it looked much better but when I tried the Morimoto ballets it was way too white.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
If just one bulb keeps burning out I would blame the ballast. Not much else to go bad. Bad wiring would be causing flickering or a no light situation.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is it me or the Morimoto 5k is just way too white it almost looks like a factory bulb. I tried the Morimoto bulbs with Kensun ballast and it looked much better but when I tried the Morimoto ballets it was way too white.
And now you see what quality looks like....

Compare a cheap generic Innovated 35w ballast with a Morimoto XB Elite 35w ballast and you'll see the difference. The Innovated ballast will probably produce a bit more blue, but the Morimoto ballast will produce a clean white light. You're seeing the difference between a quality ballast that runs closer to 35w, and a cheaper ballast that's somewhere in the high 20's.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm in Canada so it might be a hassle to get it to me - but if it works out I'd be happy to take it off your hands! I'm debating just swapping over to a full Morimoto kit. It has been 8 years or so, afterall.. hah.
I'm willing to ship it if I can find it, though you're probably better off buying one of the latest Morimoto XB Elite ballasts. I have them in my car and they're pretty bad ass. My headlights are retrofitted with Morimoto mini D2S 5.0's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The thing may be true in the wiring in the case of a flicker, this is the minus of the old school. In fact, when I almost worked with Essay Review Expert, or rather their reviews of the best thesis writing service, because I really wanted to make a list of all the problems that might arise. Problems are given my attachment to the old school as car equipment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts