Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Titan I always put premium gas in it for better mpg; and being a V8 it also helped give that extra spark in the engine.

I'm now a 6th time Hyundai owner, one being an '02 Accent, but I never put anything other than regular gas in them. Do you folks think it's okay to run an octane higher than the spec'd 86?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Are you sure it's not 87?  The manual for my '06 specifies 87 minimum...

Personally, if you can't find 87, I think the 88 would be fine.  Not much sense in going higher than that in one of these cars, although I know people are going to argue with me over that point. :whistling: Certainly don't go lower than the recommended.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Using higher octane gas won't do any harm. You could use 93 octane and it would be fine. The opposite is bad though. Using regular in an engine designed for premium gas could result in knocking and pulled timing (meaning reduced engine power) and possible serious damage).

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the higher price makes you feel better go for it. The compression in these engines isn't high enough for a higher octane to make a difference or do anything.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's doing it just because he thinks it'll run better. I know some states use different octane ratings for their fuels. For example in Oregon, regular is 87 octane, 89 is plus and 91 is premium. When I drove through Utah, regular (which I almost accidentally purchased) was 85 octane, plus was 88 and premium was 91. While driving through Utah (and southern Idaho), I always purchased the plus grade gas which I never do at home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your input!

I live in New Mexico where regular is 86 octane and thought that might be low. I used to live in CA where regular is rated at 87. I just received the Accent owners manual (bought on eBay - wasn't with the car when purchased used from a dealer) and sure enough 87 is the minimum recommended. Good thing is I've been putting in the mid-grade [in NM] 88 octane.

I might try the 91 just to see what happens. :grin:

Michael

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Jul 9 2010, 03:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340135
I put in 89. its ~$1 more a tank so not a huge compromise. I figure I try to offset the mandated 10% ethanol blend.
My Santa Fe has suffered ever since 10% ethanol hit Oregon pumps. Have you noticed an improvement with 89 octane?

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jul 8 2010, 10:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340052
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's doing it just because he thinks it'll run better. I know some states use different octane ratings for their fuels. For example in Oregon, regular is 87 octane, 89 is plus and 91 is premium. When I drove through Utah, regular (which I almost accidentally purchased) was 85 octane, plus was 88 and premium was 91. While driving through Utah (and southern Idaho), I always purchased the plus grade gas which I never do at home.
That's interesting that Utah has 85 octane. Just about every newer car requires at least 87 octane. Here in MA our regular is 87, mid is 89 and premium is 93 octane. I live close to NH and thier premium is 91 octane. It's 1 or 2 cents cheaper than our 93 octane. So the jump from 85 octane to the mid grade 89 or so octane would get expensive in the long run.

The only brand here in MA that contains NO ethanol is Citgo. It's also a few cents more. I think the extra cost is made up in better mileage and performance for sure. My wifes '09 Accent definatetly can tell the difference between not only 87-93 octane but ethanol vs non-ethanol gas. Sweet spot seems to be the 89 non-ethanol gas. She get's about 2MPG better mileage with that over 87 ethanol blend.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jul 14 2010, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341801
My Santa Fe has suffered ever since 10% ethanol hit Oregon pumps. Have you noticed an improvement with 89 octane?
ehh...not really any noticable improvement. But I still put it in anyways. The 89 still has 10% ethanol too.

Its really hard to make the comparison, some weeks I drive pretty easy, sometimes I disregard efficiency to wind out the motor a bit...Still I get 29-30mpg average per tank.

·
Registered
724 Posts
QUOTE (mmucklow @ Jul 14 2010, 06:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341782
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your input!

I live in New Mexico where regular is 86 octane and thought that might be low. I used to live in CA where regular is rated at 87. I just received the Accent owners manual (bought on eBay - wasn't with the car when purchased used from a dealer) and sure enough 87 is the minimum recommended. Good thing is I've been putting in the mid-grade [in NM] 88 octane.

I might try the 91 just to see what happens. :grin:

Michael
There's 2 methods to calculating octane, and the answers are always 2 apart. So US and Canada just split the difference. Your 88 is fine, so's 86, but there is no reason to use the 88 unless you're driving in particularly cold weather on the coast, when you have denser air, Mexico City otoh...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts