Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month ago I took my car for my 30k service to a local mechanic (he used to work for my Hyundai dealership, then opened his own shop). Reading some recommendations here, and though I first resisted the idea, I took the plunge. I had the guy change my tranny fluid with that "magical" Castrol Multi Import....

.... Getting out of the shop I wasn't at all amazed at the performance, it was NOT like night and day as some here have claimed....

...But then after driving the car for a month I can say IT DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Unlike before, when the car would occasionally shift violently and every now and then produce an annoying hiccup ----- especially when I was squeezing the engine for more power ----- those hiccups and violent shifting DISAPPEARED ALTOGETHER ! The car is now more consistent and predictable in its shifting quality.

This, after not even replacing ALL the fluid, since not performing a flush, a good portion of the old, original fluid still remains stuck in the system.

·
3,861 Posts
I noticed the same thing on our 07 Sonata after driving on a drain and fill with the Castrol. I did a second drain and fill 1k miles later to get more of the old trans oil out . The trans now shifts very consistently and is much more responsive. Castrol trans oil really makes a difference in the performance of these transmissions. It's hard for me to not drain out the factory fill in my 09 Santa Fe and put Castrol in. My Santy only has 5k miles on it and it shifts okay but I know it will be better once I get the Castrol in. I'll drain it at the 2 year/24k mile mark for the Castrol unless it gets traded in for a bigger vehicle by then.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, wymi, can you say the 2nd fluid change had an additional noticeable result too? Unless we do a very thorough power-flush we can never really get rid of the old original fluid (and probably not even then...).

·
3,861 Posts
The second drain & fill only has about 300 miles on it. The trans shifts much firmer with no lag between gear changes. Downshifts are very crisp with no hesitation. I got about 6 quarts out each time so it's mostly new trans oil in there now. I'm going to do a single drain and fill every year from now on.

·
3,861 Posts
I for one know we have quite few trans oil threads and probably don't need another one. We should probably keep this brief in knowing that Castrol Multi Import Transmission oil has proven to work well in our Hyundai Transmissions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did the drain and fill today in the 09 3.3 Sonata. I can't say that I really felt much of a difference at all. I only got a little more than 4 quarts out of the tranny, I think it was about a quart low, and it only took 5 quarts to fill it up to the middle of the "hot" range. Maybe I will notice an improvement as time goes on since I only drove it for about 15 minutes after the drain and fill.

Does the drain and fill work for maintaining the warranty?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Nova1963 @ Jul 23 2010, 10:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344332
I just did the drain and fill today in the 09 3.3 Sonata. I can't say that I really felt much of a difference at all.
I doubt the fluid change would be real noticeable to gentle drivers. Me and the wife drive for
economy, real easy on the gas pedal. It's hard to even notice when the car shifts. If you crowd
the gas pedal a bit, it could be a lot more noticeable. You may even start to notice it more as the
new fluid takes effect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did my change last weekend. (see Vehicle info below) There is definitely a change - especially the lag after a turn or sudden slowdown is gone. Go Castrol !!

Also for those looking for info -

Get a crush washer from Hyundai dealer ($1)
Socket used for drain plug 15/16"
Torque used 25 ft-lbs

Here is one question - I managed to get out just a tad bit over 4 Qts - even after using Perry's right rear wheel tilting trick.

Now I could do another change in few 100s of miles and then not worry for 2 years

or

wait one more year and do yet another similar drain & fill (possibly another 4 Qts).

What is better - any community consensus ?

- Nicer20
--------------------------
2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4L AT (33.7K miles)
2004 Toyota Sienna LE 3.3L AT (56K miles)
1992 Mazda Protege DX 1.8L AT (129K miles)

·
Banned
335 Posts
Just did mine and 5.3 quarts came out. Returned the unused SP3 to the Hyundai Dealer as I bought 8 quarts, and I am very happy I did this. No difference at all as I am/was having no problems at all! Mechanic told me the used fluid still looked good. I felt even better!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 26 2010, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352147
Just did mine and 5.3 quarts came out. Returned the unused SP3 to the Hyundai Dealer as I bought 8 quarts, and I am very happy I did this. No difference at all as I am/was having no problems at all! Mechanic told me the used fluid still looked good. I felt even better!
You replaced the old fluid with Castrol's Multi Import? 'cause if you went back to Hyundai's fluid you've wasted your time and your money, even admitting the "old" fluid still looked good. I did not have real problems with my shifting, but -- as explained above -- occasional hiccups. This is gone now. That's why I decided to wait a month or so to recreate this thread, so I can appreciate the new fluid over time.

As to nicer's question, getting out only 4 qts. is about what I got, maybe 5. If you really want to do it right, or say better (there will ALWAYS be old fluid stuck inside the Torque Converter, so there's no way to replace 100% of it), and willing to pay the extra $, do the 2nd change earlier, rather than later.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 26 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352171
You replaced the old fluid with Castrol's Multi Import? 'cause if you went back to Hyundai's fluid you've wasted your time and your money, even admitting the "old" fluid still looked good. I did not have real problems with my shifting, but -- as explained above -- occasional hiccups. This is gone now. That's why I decided to wait a month or so to recreate this thread, so I can appreciate the new fluid over time.
I'm just trying to follow the maintenance procedures. At 24K and almost 5 years since production I felt it was time. While my local Hyundai shop says they do a
flush using Castrol, I just used the factory OEM fluid. I do not experience hiccups, and am not expecting any difference. However I don't feel any money was wasted
as I have no problem with the Hyundai fluids. In fact I saved about $100 :trophy:

·
Banned
335 Posts
Oh no, not another Castrol discussion. I think Castrol is tops, but Hyundai SPF is #1, and costs more too. Hey is a sealed bottle of Mitsubishi SP3
from 2006 still good?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok, so this service should be done at 30k. But what about timewise in months for those who put on low miles over the years? My wife's 06 Sonata is at 19.5k miles today and wondering if I should get it done now or just wait a while longer. I know Coolant is at 60 months/60k miles so that will come up next year.

Edit- I went out and checked the ATF fluid today, level is good and the fluid is still quite light pinkish in color. I guess it could stand for a while longer?

·
Banned
335 Posts
It depends who you talk too. Our mod bobad is going by the 105,000 interval so everyone has their own take on it. If you are planning on attempting
to use the 100K Warranty it is a good idea to do it at 30 or 60K depending on conditions! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
QUOTE (wymi @ Jul 22 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343919
I for one know we have quite few trans oil threads and probably don't need another one. We should probably keep this brief in knowing that Castrol Multi Import Transmission oil has proven to work well in our Hyundai Transmissions.
1. There is not much different info in this thread compared to what has been discussed before.
2. Castrol proven to work well by whom? Hyundai? or Castrol? or you? This is a public forum and I guess we all can share our experiences. Forums are good quality when everybody has their inputs rather than following a crowd.
3. Talking about proven. I am sure I am not the only one here who used Amsoil and got great results. Its probably no one wants to say it knowing its gonna be rejected. I have been using it for 9k miles now and my transmission still works if anyone had that doubt.

No one is an oil engineer here. We all go by what we see on the bottle and what we experience. Not saying Castrol does not work, its just not the only or the best thing out there.

If some oil company says its fit for a certain car, trust me, they have way more knowledge and have spent millions of dollars to avoid a possible class action law suit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jul 21 2010, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343744
So about a month ago I took my car for my 30k service to a local mechanic (he used to work for my Hyundai dealership, then opened his own shop). Reading some recommendations here, and though I first resisted the idea, I took the plunge. I had the guy change my tranny fluid with that "magical" Castrol Multi Import....

.... Getting out of the shop I wasn't at all amazed at the performance, it was NOT like night and day as some here have claimed....

...But then after driving the car for a month I can say IT DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Unlike before, when the car would occasionally shift violently and every now and then produce an annoying hiccup ----- especially when I was squeezing the engine for more power ----- those hiccups and violent shifting DISAPPEARED ALTOGETHER ! The car is now more consistent and predictable in its shifting quality.

This, after not even replacing ALL the fluid, since not performing a flush, a good portion of the old, original fluid still remains stuck in the system.
Wow, I'm going to have to think about changing the fluid on mine, cuz that's been almost my only negative on this car, is occasional bouts where it does a violent downshift and heavy rev when I try to accellerate, and it's not like I'm flooring the pedal, and it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once a week at most. I happen to be going to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change, maybe I'll look into this too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hrmm, dealer wanted $200 for the ATF. We used to have 4 dealers in the Sacramento area, now we're down to 2. Should I stick with a dealer for this or go anywhere? I've always been going to the dealer for oil changes just because I feel the price difference isn't big enough that I'd rather have someone that works on Hyundais deal with it all day. Should the same hold true for the ATF? $200 just sounds awfully meh.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts