Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first oil change in my 18 turbo. The guy told me that if I do not put synthetic oil in my car it would void the warranty. Is this true? I was never told this!

:confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your turbo says Just do it. Warranty or not.
Conventional oil breakdown: 240F
Synthetic oil breakdown: 450F
Turbo oil temperature expected: 400F
Turbo spool rpm: 20,000
Conventional oil will form deposits/coke, will kill your turbo bearings.
( baked with 400F+ heat after you turn off engine and oil not pumping.)
When cold, conventional oil flows like molasses. you want that in your turbo?
Or you can educate yourself by reading 1000+ forum posts on motor oil.:smile:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Look at your owner's manual and you'll see ACEA A5 spec. The only oil I found with that spec is synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Ha, GM dealers around here were charging 40 bucks more for full synthetic, Walmart sells a five quart bottle for only 3-5 bucks more for synthetic compared to conventional.

What did your dealer charge?

Yes you have to use full synthetic just like the other gentlemen on this board said.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ask "the Guy" where it states that in your owner's manual. That will "Void" his statement.

What they said. I don't even have a turbo and just purchased 2 jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Wal-Mart. After rebate $3 per quart. I know it will blow away the conventional oil they use at the dealership, performance wise.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
As long as there is lubricant in the engine, and it changed in due fashion,, there is nothing to "VOID"

Turbo,, Mobil-1 5/30 be my first choice

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
126 Posts
As long as there is lubricant in the engine, and it changed in due fashion,, there is nothing to "VOID"

Turbo,, Mobil-1 5/30 be my first choice
Well, this isn't true at all. If a manufacturer requires synthetic oil and conventional oil is used and you have engine failure due to oil, it will most definitely void your warranty. Mazda requires 0w20 full synthetic oil in all of it's vehicles made after 2011 when they moved to the SKYACTIV powertrain. The only vehicles that do not take it, strangely enough, are the turbo engines found in the CX7, the new CX9's and now the Mazda 6's.

As it stands now though, the only Hyundai that REQUIRES synthetic oil at this time is the Ionic. I, however, use full synthetic in everything I own. Including my Elantra VE

·
Registered
121 Posts
That doesn't sound right OP.

I've got the regular non turbo and about to do my second oil change. Using OEM filter/o-ring and QS Synthetic per the recommendations of the Hyundai book.

With a rebate, QS comes out the cheapest and is recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Touch2422,

I took sbr711's post as being only relating to the OP's Hyundai turbo.

You make a good point about other manufactures and Hyundai.

Hyundai recommendations seem low regarding oil with some confusing wording. I think it is one reason we are seeing some dealerships giving their own interpretation of what is required vs recommended.

My policy is the dealership has to earn my trust. Verify first, trust second.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My dealer has a bulk container of Dino 5w20 among others. I can tell you they do not use QS or Rotella, it's petro canada (sunoco). Not sure what they do for turbos.

sbr711 knows his sh*t and Mobil 1 is synthetic.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm dreading my first oil change. I need to check my local dealers to see what they use in the 1.6 turbo.

My local Kia dealer switched from Motorcraft to Total. Both semi synthetic blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
How can dealers use an oil that would void the warranty on your car? Chevy Cruze turbo on had an 1/8" oil fee line to the turbo, using anything other than so called dexos oil would plug that line up and the turbo would seize, warranty was not very long on these things, $$$$ for the owner.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You in the US?

Your country is fxxxxd. We read about the gun slaughters every week. Innocents dying because apparently it's OK to own and use military weapons. Police that shoot first and ask questions later. Highest %age prison population in the world. Overt racism. A 'leader' that is an absolute idiot/retard/buffoon. A health care system that doesn't provide health care. And apparently where you can't even trust mechanics to open and use a container of engine oil..............

You can keep it.

I'll enjoy my little bit of a backward country called Australia, where I leave my door unlocked, let my kids walk to school without a security detail, say hi to complete strangers (without being mugged), feel safe and get my body fixed for free if I injure myself.

Just my 2c....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ocscargamer,

Don't believe everything you read just like the OP should not believe everything the dealership guy says.

Bringing oil to dealership sounds like a great idea. You would also know how much was used. My non-turbo Elantra took exactly 4 quarts when I changed it. Dealership used a oil gun and overfilled it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You in the US?

Your country is fxxxxd. We read about the gun slaughters every week. Innocents dying because apparently it's OK to own and use military weapons. Police that shoot first and ask questions later. Highest %age prison population in the world. Overt racism. A 'leader' that is an absolute idiot/retard/buffoon. A health care system that doesn't provide health care. And apparently where you can't even trust mechanics to open and use a container of engine oil..............

You can keep it.

I'll enjoy my little bit of a backward country called Australia, where I leave my door unlocked, let my kids walk to school without a security detail, say hi to complete strangers (without being mugged), feel safe and get my body fixed for free if I injure myself.

Just my 2c....

And we also have NUT JOBS like you that screwed up our country. Stop and sit down I can see you are hyperventilating and drooling while typing your "one world order" Maxist utopian world view. Plus , what you have 100,000 people in your progressive Marxist country? Maybe you guys should ban knives too like Britain has to do now. Many people leave their doors unlocked in the country, your type here have made the African American community into government slavers JUST to be USED for a voting block.

Don't worry, we will come save you if a group of 1,000 people take over your country with knives. Remember evil prays on the weak.

Seems you have VERY big issues too. Seems you are one of the problem people.

http://www.returnofkings.com/87963/20-things-deeply-wrong-with-australia

·
Registered
130 Posts
You in the US?

You can keep it.

Just my 2c....
This is a vehicle forum and the topic is about oil. As an Australian I wish to apologise to any Americans that may be offended by the remarks of oscargamer. No country is perfect and Australia has its own issues. Now can we please continue without the rants and talk about cars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts