Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Happy new years to everyone! Hoping to get some advice about where the oil accumulation is coming from under my timing cover? I'll attach some photos too so you can see what I'm talking about. I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra, 140,000 miles, manual 4 door. I'm replacing the timing belt and noticed a lot of oil under the timing cover. Not sure where it's coming from and what I should do.

Is it coming from the valve cover gasket leaking? The cam shaft seal? The bearings in the tensioner?

Thanks so much:)

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Looks like a trifecta of leaks from the valve cover gasket, cam seals....and probably the crank seal too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to be on a safe side - I would recommend to replace both camshaft and crankshaft seals and valve cover gasket at once and forget about this problem for next 100K miles. Unless you have some cracks or other serious problem(s) with your engine block this is the only places for leaking oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice. I'm leaning towards just installing the belt, the two pulleys and calling er good, then later just replacing the top valve cover gasket. Is it hard to replace both those shaft seals? Do I just take off the sprocket and then peel out the seal? I've never done it before and wondering how hard it would be to take off the sprocket without moving the shaft??

I feel the leak isn't coming from the either the cam or crank shaft and just mainly from the upper valve cover. Although, I could be easily wrong about that... I am a typical backyard mechanic... clueless and inexperienced. Thank god for you tube, car books and these forums:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a trifecta of leaks from the valve cover gasket, cam seals....and probably the crank seal too.
Are you pretty sure you can see if the leak is coming from the cam shaft, just by looking at those pics? Or maybe more a assumption because the car is old and lots of mileage?

Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
Are you pretty sure you can see if the leak is coming from the cam shaft, just by looking at those pics? Or maybe more a assumption because the car is old and lots of mileage?

Thanks
It is a bit hard to tell, but as former professional mechanic my "while you're in there" senses pop up. Looking at the third pic most of the seepage seems to be coming from the valve cover gasket. You may be able to get away with just replacing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts