Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil in my 2012 Sonata 2.4L is black on the dip stick in 2000 to 3000 miles. Dealer says normal for this car, I don't believe it. What do others see? Also only gets about 32 mpg on highway and has black deposits on the tailpipe. I have gotten better than rated mileage on every other car I have owned so I don't believe it is my driving technique. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Common phrase used to refer to GDI is "diesel with spark plugs"
We injecting the fuel into combustion chamber under high pressure and lighting it off with spark..

What was your last oil interval.. remainders of black diesel type oil will mix right away and turn oil black tint, was it a quickie oil change, or left to sit and drip for a while /

Most respects, black oil in GDI is normal by product, along with soot from combustion.. drive down road and bury the throttle to where it downshift a few and wind up tight and watch in your mirror the nice cloud of accumulated dust blow out of system.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
it's cold for one...winter gas for two...and dang cold for some around here....which all affect mileage

and, all mileage will vary.

·
Registered
687 Posts
From Quaker State:

A common misconception is that high quality motor oil should come out of an engine looking clean at the time of an oil change. Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Quaker State® motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil will look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Quaker State® motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change.

·
Registered
729 Posts
...Also only gets about 32 mpg on highway and has black deposits on the tailpipe.
You're complaining that you are "only" getting 32mpg on the highway? That's right up the middle for what the car is rated for. I personally would be happy. How fast are you driving? Is it hilly?

I regularly get 32/33 MPG week after week for my commute which is 80 miles round trip mainly highway and flat. And that is me cruising at 80MPH.

Also, GDI engines are sooty...like a diesel. If you haven't floored your car in a while give it a try. You may see black soot shoot out of your tailpipe. All of this is normal for this car and engine type.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The color you see could be due to the oxidation of the additives in the oil due to the heat. The detergent in the oil is doing exactly what it is intended, holding unfilterable particulates harmlessly in suspension while simultaneously preventing them from congealing with varnish and depositing out as sludge.

Also the natural property of oil is to turn darker when heated. Throw some olive oil in a skillet, turn the burner on and watch the color change.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
2.0 터보;1900865 said:
The color you see could be due to the oxidation of the additives in the oil due to the heat. The detergent in the oil is doing exactly what it is intended, holding unfilterable particulates harmlessly in suspension while simultaneously preventing them from congealing with varnish and depositing out as sludge.

Also the natural property of oil is to turn darker when heated. Throw some olive oil in a skillet, turn the burner on and watch the color change.
^^ This.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
In the case of diesel engines, the oil will look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed.
Bingo and diesels especially. All of our buses at work are diesels and checking the oil is part of our pre-trip inspection. I pulled the dipstick on a Chevy bus (new Duramax with Diesel Exhaust Fluid) and the oil was black as always but the info center on the dash showed 'OIL LIFE - 98%' so it had just been changed.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It soot or microscopic carbon, smaller than the oil filter will catch. Mo big deal.

On my 2L Gen Coupe you can never get all the oil out and there is around a 1/2 quart left in the engine so it turns black almost right away. Plus the richness because it's a turbo.

·
Registered
869 Posts
OT: My first car (72 Nova) I would change the oil and it was black in 25 miles, lol. When I got a newer car I was amazed a week later when I check the oil and it was still gold!

The GDI engine does hasten the discoloration, but as long as you're doing the maintenance properly and on time, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As others have said, it's normal to have discolored oil at 2-3K miles.

This has been said ad nauseum on this site and others...the quality of the gas makes a difference with GDI engines. Hyundai's R&D boss has said that the quality of the gas dictates if they can introduce GDI vehicles in a particular country. The manual says to use Top Tier gasoline and that's what I do.

Also, you might be well served using a low NOACK value oil like Pennzoil Ultra to help limit the potential for carbon deposits. IMO, GDI=synthetic oil only if you want to keep it as clean as possible and/or you have a turbocharger. It may not be prevention but it's likely to help as the miles add up.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,247 Posts
Also, you might be well served using a low NOACK value oil like Pennzoil Ultra to help limit the potential for carbon deposits. IMO, GDI=synthetic oil only if you want to keep it as clean as possible and/or you have a turbocharger. It may not be prevention but it's likely to help as the miles add up.
+1,000,000 on this. Synthetic is the only way to go on these engines.

Been using Penzoil Platinum since 2nd oil change and engine runs like a top at 83K.

And yes my oil comes out black after 2200 miles or so. I would not expect otherwise---means the engine is getting up to temp internally and parts are being lubricated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're complaining that you are "only" getting 32mpg on the highway? That's right up the middle for what the car is rated for. I personally would be happy. How fast are you driving? Is it hilly?

I regularly get 32/33 MPG week after week for my commute which is 80 miles round trip mainly highway and flat. And that is me cruising at 80MPH.

Also, GDI engines are sooty...like a diesel. If you haven't floored your car in a while give it a try. You may see black soot shoot out of your tailpipe. All of this is normal for this car and engine type.
Thanks, didn't know GDI engine typically has sooty oil. On MPG I drive flat midwest roads usually at 72 mph. The Impala I got rid of got 31 to 32 mpg under same conditions and it was only rated for 29 mpg so I don't consider 32 good on the sonata. Do other people get 35 or better mpg on Sonata or KIA optima with the 2.4 engine?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can hit 34 or so (hand calculated) with my turbo if I stick to ~70mph. It claims 36 on the computer though. :p
The tradeoff is in city I'm lucky to break 19-20. That's with only one redlight.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I drive 110 miles/day, 100 of which are highway. I average around 28mpg because it's very hilly. Took a trip south once, more flat, and hit 33.5mpg which was awesome while it lasted.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,247 Posts
Supertech is as good as any synthetic oil. Just not from one of the name brand companies (QS, Pennzoil, etc) so none of the warranties or "reputation" that they have.

However, you will enjoy the savings that come with "WallyWorld Oil."

Just make sure you are using a good filter (pref OEM Hyundai) and topping the car off with the correct amount.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think Supertech is identified on "Bob is the Oil Guy" ( or one of these other anal, "oil as recreation" sites ) as being a good quality synthetic oil. I would agree that you should probably use the OEM filters not only for the warranty but because they're very good quality with the exact fitment vs. some aftermarket filters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts