Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about oil spraying my new Accent.

Was talking to Krown and they say that they have to drill holes in the doors and rocker panels to gain access.

Will this affect the cars warranty at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about oil spraying my new Accent.

Was talking to Krown and they say that they have to drill holes in the doors and rocker panels to gain access.

Will this affect the cars warranty at all.
I probably wouldn't drill holes in my car for an oil spray. I usually just get under the car and spray the **** out of everything. If you wanna do a super duper job, take out the headlights and taillights and spray around in there, too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Maybe.....if it later rusts out where one of those holes IS.

What is this "oil spray" ??

If it is aftermarket "rustproofing", most of those are rip offs anyway. Sometimes it actually make matters worse.
It is what it sounds like: spraying the car with oil. It isn't a rustproofing scheme, it is just a preventative measure used to protect the underside of cars from the salt and icky winter time weather. I do my own oil changes and just save the oil and spray it myself every year.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is what it sounds like: spraying the car with oil. It isn't a rustproofing scheme, it is just a preventative measure used to protect the underside of cars from the salt and icky winter time weather. I do my own oil changes and just save the oil and spray it myself every year.
I had this done at a local detail place last year. Paid $175 to have the entire underside sprayed (no holes drilled), and will only have to pay $25 each consecutive year. Like Shawn stated, it doesn't guarantee against rust, but those of us who live in the North with harsh winters, it provides good protection to help fight against rust on the undercarriage.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Or you can do set up some high-pressure water jets under the car and drive over it as it's spraying water to wash off the salt?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Or you can do set up some high-pressure water jets under the car and drive over it as it's spraying water to wash off the salt?
You would have to do that after every drive though. Oil has the added benefit of staying on the car for a very long time and also lubricating stuff. I always make sure to blast my suspension components so they don't seize up for when I go and work on stuff.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
It isn't a rustproofing scheme, it is just a preventative measure used to protect the underside of cars from the salt and icky winter time weather.
If it quacks like a duck.......;)

I'm sure that the EPA would love to hear that you are spraying used motor oil around. :eek:

Honestly, BAD idea.

Oil has the added benefit of staying on the car for a very long time and also lubricating stuff.
I think you are being delusional about this, really.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some places will give you a lifetime anti-perforation warranty if you get it done in the first 12 months after the vehicle's manufacture date.

It might not be good for the environment, but it does prevent rust as long as you do it every year.

In areas that are heavily salted every winter you need to do something like this or your car will be rusted out after a few years.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If it quacks like a duck.......;)

I'm sure that the EPA would love to hear that you are spraying used motor oil around. :eek:

Honestly, BAD idea.

I think you are being delusional about this, really.
This is a *very* common practice in areas that have rough winters, Mr. Florida. It isn't some mystery concoction that magically stops rust. Oil resists water and water is what oxidizes metal. Salt accelerates the chemical reaction between iron and water by providing a very ionized environment. Salt also causes galvanic corrosion on the undersides of cars. Thus, spraying the under body of a car with oil protects against rust. It won't "cure" already rusted cars, just prevent your car from rusting.

Simple science.

edit: yes, I am very delusional about the lubricative qualities of oil. *face palm*

·
Registered
907 Posts
No wonder Ohio is so polluted.. you guys are spraying used oil under the cars!:p

Seriously, water alone does not cause corrosion, it simply promotes it because water, especially from storm water or from the tap or from a well can contain minerals that allow for an electrochemical reaction resulting in the oxidation of steel. You can be in a bathtub of pure water and I can throw in a blowing hair dryer and you won't be electrocuted because water is non conductive... It's a theoretical experiment we did in high school where we used tap water and distilled water to light a light bulb... the distilled water (while not 100% pure water) barely light the bulb, while our tap water allowed it to turn on...

Oil also traps dirt and salt, and while it is water-phobic, I can imagine it collecting enough dirt and salt which negates the purpose of keeping water from under you car...

Glad I live in FL, where I don't have to worry about this at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
No wonder Ohio is so polluted.. you guys are spraying used oil under the cars!:p

Seriously, water alone does not cause corrosion, it simply promotes it because water, especially from storm water or from the tap or from a well can contain minerals that allow for an electrochemical reaction resulting in the oxidation of steel. You can be in a bathtub of pure water and I can throw in a blowing hair dryer and you won't be electrocuted because water is non conductive... It's a theoretical experiment we did in high school where we used tap water and distilled water to light a light bulb... the distilled water (while not 100% pure water) barely light the bulb, while our tap water allowed it to turn on...

Oil also traps dirt and salt, and while it is water-phobic, I can imagine it collecting enough dirt and salt which negates the purpose of keeping water from under you car...

Glad I live in FL, where I don't have to worry about this at all.
lawlz at all of the Florida guys chiming in about winter rust control.

Seriously though, the water from the snow/slush/ice isn't pure. Combine that with salt and you are going to end up with iron oxide. The oil isn't going to "trap in" anything that will cause your car to rust. Oil is a rust preventative, it is going to help prevent your metal from rusting. It's really not a difficult concept, I know you warm weather folk don't have to worry about this but come on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love Texas :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I just got into this because you said water causes corrosion, which is not true. The stuff in the water creates the reaction.

That and I don't understand why you would spray a toxic and volatile chemical under your car....

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just got into this because you said water causes corrosion, which is not true. The stuff in the water creates the reaction.

That and I don't understand why you would spray a toxic and volatile chemical under your car....
Semantics. While you are technically correct, pure, non-conductive water doesn't exist nature. So by the transitive property, since water always contains stuff that causes rust...water causes rust. :p

And we do it because a car is a big investment, it would suck to have it turn into a rust bucket after the first winter owning it. I don't really like to oil spray vehicles, but until the idiots in charge of keeping the streets clear realize that salt is a terrible solution, we are pretty much stuck with it. It is all politics though, the salt mines probably lobby for the use of salt to clear snow. Not my call though.

Really though, modern cars are far less likely to rust than the older ones. But come to an Ohio junkyard sometime and it is very obvious what cars were oil sprayed and what cars weren't.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
lawlz at all of the Florida guys chiming in about winter rust control.

Seriously though, .....
I beg to differ.
I spent 60 years in Illinois; I know a little bit about road salt and the like.

Seriously though,
I also know about the properties of plain oil. Over time it thins out because of surface tension and temperature cycles until......it is about one molecule thin which is easily washed away by dust and water.....or just a good blast of air.

Then, used motor oil is not only a pollutant because it is OIL but it is also carcinogenic (causes cancer). Spraying it on a car is just plain irresponsible.....and accomplishes nothing useful anyway.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I beg to differ.
I spent 60 years in Illinois; I know a little bit about road salt and the like.

Seriously though,
I also know about the properties of plain oil. Over time it thins out because of surface tension and temperature cycles until......it is about one molecule thin which is easily washed away by dust and water.....or just a good blast of air.

Then, used motor oil is not only a pollutant because it is OIL but it is also carcinogenic (causes cancer). Spraying it on a car is just plain irresponsible.....and accomplishes nothing useful anyway.
Whatever you say, man. Sounds like you've never oil sprayed a car to me. I'm not arguing that it isn't bad for the environment, that is just common sense. But it does help prevent rust, whether you personally think it does or not. :eek:

Assuming facts not in evidence.

Some likely were not driven as much.....or at all....when the roads were slippery. ;)
Very true, although it was more of a general observation. The only scientific way to show the difference would be to take the same two cars brand new, with the same commute every day and oil spray one of them and not the other. Not the most practical experiment.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
this thread is full of win.

really guys...arguing about oil undercoatings?? this has been around for years and is actually very good at slowing down rust. i do my own with an air gun every fall, i live in winter salt central! yes it works. it will not prevent rust completely, but FAR better than nothing. its a very worthwhile investment.

as far as the oil goes, i'm not sure who uses engine oil or anything remotely that thin...its kind of useless since it won't last. undercoating oil is very thick kind of looks like snot. i could almost describe it as waxy. this means it doesn't drip off. sure its not perfect for the environment...but its certainly legal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts