Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Found out yesterday that dealership has been installing 5w30 full synthetic all along. The invoice showed 5w20, which, they had to change. All this time I thought they were using conventional oil, not the case. They’re doing an oil consumption test, time will tell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
UPDATE: Dealer is doing an oil consumption test. My initial 1000 mile run has yielded no usage for the first 850 miles. It appears there will be no oil usage in the first 1000 m interval. I made sure they did not use use 5w20. I specifically told them 5w30. They used QSU Synthetic. Time will tell. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s in the viscosity recommendations that you sent, at the bottom, *1, and, is on the very back of my manual at the bottom, *1. 5w20 is recommended for better fuel economy. My dealer uses it exclusively. In either case I won’t be using it. What do you use? Thanks
Footnote *1 applies to the 2.4L only.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In my owners manual it refers to both. Also, was told directly by Hyundai Customer Care, and, an email from them. However, I will only use 5w30 from now on. I’ve talked to several dealerships that use 5w20 for turbos , also. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

On various Hyundai Forums a dispute has taken form over dealerships and some owners using 5w20 in their Turbos. I know that my om (Santa Fe Sport 2.0T) says nothing concerning 5w20 INSIDE the manual, but on the back cover, the quick reference guide DOES list it as an acceptable viscosity. There is NO mention that this viscosity is for the 2.4 naturally aspirated engine either. Just that 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 are acceptable.

Question: will using a 5w20 harm the engine? Speaking of all types of oil, synthetics, synthetic blends and conventional at 3K mile OCI's.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
21 - 40 of 40 Posts