Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. It uses almost one qt. of oil in 3000 miles. Dealership used Quaker state 5w-20, thought they were using 5w30. Also, what about using synthetic? Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd use 5w40 in your engine or Kendal Euro GT 5w30 which is a HTHS oil. You should use nothing but a synthetic oil in a turbo oil.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'd recommend a new set a valve stem seals and possibly rings. From my lengthy experience little is gained by increasing oil viscosity. I have put 50/70 engine oil in a car only to be still disappointed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hyundai Corp. recommends 5w20 for gas mileage. I’m going to try 5w30 and see if that can help with oil usage issue. Probably have dealership to run oil consumption test. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hyundai Corp. recommends 5w20 for gas mileage. I’m going to try 5w30 and see if that can help with oil usage issue. Probably have dealership to run oil consumption test. Thanks for info.
5w20 was wrong weight per Hyundai. 5w30 printed on oil cap for this engine. Owners manual says 5w30 or 5w40 if driving in hotter weather.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine states 5w30 as well. Just got off the phone with hyundaiusa, and, dealer, both said 5w20 for best mileage. I will be be using be using 5w30 next time. Didn’t realize they were using 5w20. Talked to one dealership that uses Modil 1 5w20 syn. Can’t get the same answer no matter what dealer I speak with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine states 5w30 as well. Just got off the phone with hyundaiusa, and, dealer, both said 5w20 for best mileage. I will be be using be using 5w30 next time.
Yes, 1/2 the dealers don't know what they are saying. Look at oil cap and owners manual says 5w30 or 5w40 only.
5w20 is for 2.4l

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. It uses almost one qt. of oil in 3000 miles. Dealership used Quaker state 5w-20, thought they were using 5w30. Also, what about using synthetic? Thanks
If Your using that much Oil You should try adding this BG EPR Product to the Oil, On Your next oil change pour it in let idle above 1100 rpm's for 15-20 minutes and drain oil, i would use a can of BG MOA to the fresh bach of oil Your using to Neutralize any Left over resedue left behind from the 109 EPR . someone on here already has used BG 109 EPR with very positive results it freed up his coked up stuck rings (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine shows not only 5w40 but also 15w40 and 20w50 for the turbo.
You have the 2.0T right?
View attachment 440112
If Your using that much Oil You should try adding this BG EPR Product to the Oil, On Your next oil change pour it in let idle above 1100 rpm's for 15-20 minutes and drain oil, i would use a can of BG MOA to the fresh bach of oil Your using to Neutralize any Left over resedue left behind from the 109 EPR . someone on here already has used BG 109 EPR with very positive results it freed up his coked up stuck rings (y)

Yes. My manual only shows 5w30 and 10w30. Is yours a 2013?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They’re telling me to use 5w20 for better fuel economy. It’s there in the footnotes as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks, I think the dealer can do that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not all dealers carry BG Products, You might have to search it for best price. my 2.0T Santa fe is a 2014 i use 5w30 Oil. i would only use a 5w40 if racing it lol wich doesnt happen often, or i lived in a extremly hot climate other than that 5w30 in Canada,ont is fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not all dealers carry BG Products, You might have to search it for best price. my 2.0T Santa fe is a 2014 i use 5w30 Oil. i would only use a 5w40 if racing it lol wich doesnt happen often, or i lived in a extremly hot climate other than that 5w30 in Canada,ont is fine.
What brand oil do you use? Syn / Non Synthetic

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes. My manual only shows 5w30 and 10w30. Is yours a 2013?
I agree with Johns2.0T in that trying to limit excessive oil use with higher weight oil most likely will not work. Trying the BG product would be a good idea as well as using the prescribed 10w30 or 15W40 oil.
There is a reason that Hyundai does not show 5w20 on the oil cap or the manual. Hot turbo's shear most motor oils thinner. Dealers often put in 5w20 by mistake. Wonder if this wrong oil is contributing to the reported failures of the 2.0T? BTW ours is a 2014.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I agree with Johns2.0T in that trying to limit excessive oil use with higher weight oil most likely will not work. Trying the BG product would be a good idea as well as using the prescribed 10w30 or 15W40 oil.
There is a reason that Hyundai does not show 5w20 on the oil cap or the manual. Hot turbo's shear most motor oils thinner. Dealers often put in 5w20 by mistake. Wonder if this wrong oil is contributing to the reported failures of the 2.0T? BTW ours is a 2014.
It’s in the viscosity recommendations that you sent, at the bottom, *1, and, is on the very back of my manual at the bottom, *1. 5w20 is recommended for better fuel economy. My dealer uses it exclusively. In either case I won’t be using it. What do you use? Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
It’s in the viscosity recommendations that you sent, at the bottom, *1, and, is on the very back of my manual at the bottom, *1. 5w20 is recommended for better fuel economy. My dealer uses it exclusively. In either case I won’t be using it. What do you use? Thanks
I use 15w40, I live in Los Angeles where it never gets below 40F and summer is between 75-100F.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts