Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people. I'm new and this is my first post. any help will be great.
My mom has a 2001 Accent w/1.6L and 69000 miles. Last nite she was driving and she heard a whirling sound and then the lifters started clattering and the oil lite came on. She only had 1000 miles on the new oil "not synthetic" and when I chk'd it was a quart low. The car has not been using oil. I added oil and the lifter noise was still bad but oil lite was off. Now next day I start vehicle and lifters bad, restart immediatly and lifters alot better. Next I hear the whirling noise and and the oil lite comes on and lifters very noisy.

Does this sound like oil pump. I called the dealer and he said $146.00 for the pump.

If so how hard to change, I am very mechanicly inclinde. Any help appreciated.

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
who made the last oil change ?? maybe the oil filter is not securely mounted or leaking. have a look under the car

SOULLINK: Please do not quote the whole thread in the box above when replying to it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, it sounds as though you have a oil pressure problem, due to either your oil pump or your pressure relief valve.

If you are mechanically minded as you say, then I would get hold of a oil pressure gauge and test your oil pressure.
Remove your oil pressure switch and test your pressure from there.

Just to be safe, I would carry out this test, or have this test carried out.It wil be the difference of $146.00 wasted or well spent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's. No there is no signs of any oil leaks at all, the underside of the car is completely oil free. Dr. H. I'll see about checking the pressure and go from there. Thanks again. I'll get back to this thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dr. Hyundai is correct . Make sure you do an oil pressure check before replacement.. If pressure shows low the job is not too difficult if you use a manual or repair book specifically for your model. You will have to remove oil pan and make sure your gasket surface is well cleaned before applying a new one. You will probably save about 2 hours or more labour by doing it yourself, on the other hand you must be well assured you can handle the job. Good luck!!

SOULLINK: Please do not quote the whole thread in the box above when replying to it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
someting seem to be not right. the engine did not use oil untill the last oil change ??? all of a sudden the engine uses 1qt per 1000m ???????
what oil did they fill ????

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, Duke is right.
It does seem funny that your engine has begun to fail (at least we think it is).

You should ask your service centre what oil they used and tell them your story.

Either way, have you carried out an oil pressure test, or had someone else do it for you???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys for delay with answer but I've been waiting for an oil pressure tester and have not checked forum until now. I just got my tester in.
Question. What preasure should I be getting on my 01 Accent with 1.6L 16 valve?
As for the oil, the center puts in Penzoil 10-30. They said they had not noticed low levels when the car goes in but the oil is quit dirty. "My mom drive her car for a living and puts 3000 mile every 2 weeks so she changes oil every 5000 miles so they see the car quit often"

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The pressure should be around this specification:

At engine idle speed: 147KPa (1.5 kg/cm(2), 21.33psi) (2) is squared.

I personally believe that 10w30 is a little thin for these motors given their likely hood of developing piston slap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by duke@Dec 9 2004, 06:27 PM
how many miles do you do, when you fill 1 qt???
[snapback]3480[/snapback]​

Actually in the past the car has not used any oil in the approx 5000 miles between changes. That has just happened in the last 1000 miles since the last change. "I just remembered, the car has shown maybe 1/2 qt. low a few times but not on a regular basis and that was close to the 5000 mile change." Also, I always have the quick lube center put in an additive "BG MOA"

More to come.
Thanx.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Dec 10 2004, 01:25 AM

At engine idle speed:  147KPa (1.5 kg/cm(2), 21.33psi)  (2) is squared.

I personally believe that 10w30 is a little thin for these motors given their likely hood of developing piston slap!
[snapback]3501[/snapback]​

10W30 is the best for year-round grade if you live in the continental USA. It's the factory fill anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Dec 10 2004, 03:25 AM

At engine idle speed:  147KPa (1.5 kg/cm(2), 21.33psi)  (2) is squared.

[snapback]3501[/snapback]​

Ok. I just finished the oil pressure ck and at start up the pressure was at about 25 psi. (Local dealer said expect 40-50 psi at cold oil start - 20-25 at temp - and 60 psi at 3000 rpm) today about 40 degrees F.

I let car idle for 2 min. and pressure was steady. (more than normal lifter noise but not as bad as the other day when oil lite came on - curious if this might be piston slap.)

Took engine spreed to about 1800 rpm and pressure went to 75 psi. The lifter noise continued. At about 15 seconds I started hearing the whirling and whinning sound of what I assume is the pump impeller. The pressure began to drop slowly. At about 35 seconds in to test the pressure made a dramatic drop to 23 psi. I took rpm down to idle and waited, the whirling changed pitch a few time during this part of the test. at 50 seconds in to test at idle the pressure began to drop again and within 10 seconds pressure went to zero.

There you have it.

I guess its time for a new oil pump, hope the engine isn't damaged to extent of a rebuild.

Any recommendations from here.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There you go, all too easy.
At no time should your oil pressure drop to zero!

Now that you need to replace your oil pump, you only need to decide whether you can do it yourself or whether you would rather pay the amount charged and have warranty on the parts tyat will be put into the car.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I see you mentioned a "quick-lube place`.
I trust this is not one of those places who just **** the old oil out of the dipstick hole (leaving all the gunge in the sump (oilpan)).....& who then neglect to change the oil-filter?.
My reason for asking this is purely because oil-pump failure on our cars is extremely rare indeed!.

Nick.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nick, I agree.
I rebuilt a X3 12 valve motor around 6 months ago, which had been badly overheated twice and regularly run without oil. Tranny was rooted, so it was time for a engine/drivetrain overhaul.

Given that the engine had been severely neglected, the oil pump clearances were still miles within spec limits.
However, it is not impossible for this failure to eventuate!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts