Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here. Just had my car in for it's first service. Picked it up and had engine noise, oil pressure and engine lights on...

Diagnosed as a bad oil pump...

Anyone else had or heard of this issue? It's all covered of course, just thinking about the future and what issues I may run in to from it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I'm told replacing oil pump and it'll be "fixed". hard to diagnose the other issues it would have created without the new oil pump installed.

Is this pretty common from what you know? If anyone has any resources they could share with regards to how to deal with this situation it would be much appreciated. I know a fair bit about engines, just not sure in Canada what we have for right with this stuff really.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
So far I'm told replacing oil pump and it'll be "fixed". hard to diagnose the other issues it would have created without the new oil pump installed.

Is this pretty common from what you know? If anyone has any resources they could share with regards to how to deal with this situation it would be much appreciated. I know a fair bit about engines, just not sure in Canada what we have for right with this stuff really.
there saying it was a defective oil pump oil pumps rarely fail unless there restricted in some way or have very high mileage sounds more like an assembly issue to me. hyundai might be covering there hide on this one, as far as the engine goes they most likely wont want to cover it since its still running the problem is going to be long term on this engines longevity over time the noise it made was metel to metal parts rubing and coming into contact with each other. so get hyundai to document everything in great detail so you are covered when the time comes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your quick replies John! I totally agree with what you are saying as far as premature engine failure from running without oil or oil pressure. These I believe are internal gear pumps and one that new would only fail from lack of oil or assembly issues.

As far as documentation thus far, I have it recorded (by dealership in email) that is occurred after an oil change by them, prior to leaving their lot and that their tech drove it to lube bay from parking lot prior to checking the oil level.

From there when I started asking very specific questions about the method of failure and path forward for corrective action and testing (oil samples) and for proof there was even oil in it after oil change I got a full meltdown by the dealership where they now will not answer any questions or provide any details. Not very open about it.

Have a Hyundai Canada case going which includes a ton of emails between myself and service managers, including them refusing to answer my questions about vehicle reliability and long term damage.

Is there a 3rd party in Canada that deal with this kind of issue?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
send a sample to these guys:
one of the problems with bmw's M60/62 v8 was the bolts holding the oil pump to the block would come loose. when i was at a dealer, one of the parts guys had a 95 540i, it had over 200k. he had been there forever, i had not, but i had a lot of experience. i told him about the oil pump problem, and he pooh pooh'd it. as time went on, i think he began to realize that i did have a good background. one saturday, unbeknownst to me, he brought his car in, and pulled the lower sump, which was right below the pump. he found 5 of 9 bolts in the sump, and the others were loose. i got respect after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was it serviced by the Hyundai dealership ? It's suspect the damage occurred right after the oil change.
It was, at the dealership I bought it at. Very suspect that's why I asked so many questions, which they now refuse to acknowledge. Like I mean fully shut down on me, wont take calls or emails. I asked about cause, method of failure, proof oil was even put in it and for their comments on life span reduction etc.

They didn't like that and shut down on me haha, so now I wait...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, it certainly is a headache. No engine thats been run without oil will ever be the same, and large scale work on a brand new car hurts my feelings. Hopefully being a Hyundai dealership they will fix it as if it never happened...

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
353 Posts
I meant, the coincidence is strange. I would bet on the no oil refilled as well. This would cause noise within 10-20 seconds after starting the engine so I would expect the mechanic who moved the car out of the garage to the parking lot to notice something is not working fine. Did you notice noise right after starting the car from the dealership parking ? How far did you travel with the car from the dealership ? I haven't seen another similar issue here on the forum (on any H engine). They may have also put the wrong fluid in the engine, like brake fluid or so, but less probable since the bottles are difficult to confuse but we never know.. May want to look see if one of their mechanics looks very young. And yes, I don't want to break your day but wrong fluid or lack of oil means other engine parts have been affected and that may actually cause a problem only after several years of driving it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I meant, the coincidence is strange. I would bet on the no oil refilled as well. This would cause noise within 10-20 seconds after starting the engine so I would expect the mechanic who moved the car out of the garage to the parking lot to notice something is not working fine. Did you notice noise right after starting the car from the dealership parking ? How far did you travel with the car from the dealership ? I haven't seen another similar issue here on the forum (on any H engine). They may have also put the wrong fluid in the engine, like brake fluid or so, but less probable since the bottles are difficult to confuse but we never know.. May want to look see if one of their mechanics looks very young. And yes, I don't want to break your day but wrong fluid or lack of oil means other engine parts have been affected and that may actually cause a problem only after several years of driving it
My daughter who picked it up didn't even move it. Started it, noticed lights and heard it running terribly, shut it off, started it took a pic of dash shut it off and went inside to get someone. When tech came out to start it she filmed it to capture the noise and parking stall and tech tech drove into lube bay. She did amazing capturing the info.

Will see what the end result they try to give me is I guess, definitely I am concerned about the damage done. Total run time since we noticed the issue would be about 5-15 mins by the time Hyundai drove it to bay, drove it around to back shop. I will implement oil samples regardless for sure as an earlier poster replied.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
353 Posts
Wow. Pretty sure the engine had no oil. Shocking how the dumb tech didn't pay attention. Surely a newbie. I would have the engine opened and inspected for wear and go in court for a new engine. Even if it appears to be running fine, there could be severe wear to the connecting rod bearings, piston rings, cams, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your input. I can't see slapping a new oil pump in doing much other than now pumping oil to damaged engine components. Will keep everyone posted on this.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Thanks for your input. I can't see slapping a new oil pump in doing much other than now pumping oil to damaged engine components. Will keep everyone posted on this.
After its repaired & filed with Oil&filter shortly there after do another drane & fill to get the metal fillings draned out. of the engine. you dont want that floating around especially in the conecting rod bearings it can act like sand. i would bring that up with them makes sense? and they should not charge you for the oil & filter if there any kind of decent dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After its repaired & filed with Oil&filter shortly there after do another drane & fill to get the metal fillings draned out. of the engine. you dont want that floating around especially in the conecting rod bearings it can act like sand. i would bring that up with them makes sense? and they should not charge you for the oil & filter if there any kind of decent dealer.
Absolutely, if the "fix" is just an oil pump I'm going to start with regular oil samples being sent in. I don't believe for a second more damage didn't occur. Will do the first one after a couple hundred km and see the results. This will also show if there is any abnormal additives. As far as decent dealer I can't determine that so far, the complete hissy fit and dropping all comes is telling but I will judge when this is resolved. I did ask about an oil sampling program to be sure of engine condition but so far they have not answered me on that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely, if the "fix" is just an oil pump I'm going to start with regular oil samples being sent in. I don't believe for a second more damage didn't occur. Will do the first one after a couple hundred km and see the results. This will also show if there is any abnormal additives. As far as decent dealer I can't determine that so far, the complete hissy fit and dropping all comes is telling but I will judge when this is resolved. I did ask about an oil sampling program to be sure of engine condition but so far they have not answered me on that.
Sounds like catastrophic negligence to me. Your daughter did all the right things, especially getting the video. Sounds like you've got an airtight case for a new engine at least.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
5,397 Posts
I need some brain help here and NOT saying anyone is wrong with sending the oil to be checked, but how will that determine if the engine is bad? Unless they find metal particles?
Wouldn‘t it be better to drop the pan and check for metal shavings?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts