Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 06 Sonata in to the dealer yesterday for a routine oil and filter change. I was surprised when they told me I needed a new oil pan. That it was rusted and rotting. I was even more surprised (very pleasantly) when they said the replacement was covered by my warranty.

In 55 years of driving many different cars, I've never needed an oil pan replaced. Has anyone else needed their Sonata oil pan replaced?
John

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
4 and 6 both use a painted steel lower pan, with the upper portion bolted to block being cast aluminum..

Dont see rusted lower pan very often, see oil seep from mating surface of pan to upper pan body.

Original owner will get 10/100 oil pan replacement for oil leak due to rust, or reseal due to aged RTV

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 cylinder Sonata Ltd with all options.

Could have stripped the threads. It's too late for me to go back and ask to see the original oil pan. I really don't care if they did strip the threads since I get a new oil pan for free. But...

But, the plot thickens. When the service writer advised me I needed a new oil pan, she also said the tech said I also needed new rear brake pads and rotors faced off ($250), and an alignment ($90). I declined those items. Today, I took the car to a garage, that has done my brakes for many years, to have the rear brakes done. They said my brakes were fine and didn't need any work. :confused:

Makes me wonder if the Hyundai dealership was creating unnecessary work just to increase their income. They'll get paid by Hyundai America for the oil pan replacement. I would have felt better if the second garage had confirmed my need for brakes and done the job. Now, I feel like the Hyundai dealership was trying to rip me off, and, I can no longer trust them for future service. :(

I don't know what to do.
John

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

Could have stripped the threads. It's too late for me to go back and ask to see the original oil pan. I really don't care if they did strip the threads since I get a new oil pan for free. But...

But, the plot thickens. When the service writer advised me I needed a new oil pan, she also said the tech said I also needed new rear brake pads and rotors faced off ($250), and an alignment ($90). I declined those items. Today, I took the car to a garage, that has done my brakes for many years, to have the rear brakes done. They said my brakes were fine and didn't need any work. :confused:

Makes me wonder if the Hyundai dealership was creating unnecessary work just to increase their income. They'll get paid by Hyundai America for the oil pan replacement. I would have felt better if the second garage had confirmed my need for brakes and done the job. Now, I feel like the Hyundai dealership was trying to rip me off, and, I can no longer trust them for future service. :(

I don't know what to do.
John
I'd know what to do: Don't go back to that dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts

I don't know what to do.
John
As I said sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I changed the engine and the automatic transmission oil pan. Both were obviously rotten, with oil from the engine pan streaking the underside of the car. That is hard for your dealership to fake!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts