Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 4 year and 90k miles later and my pan starts leaking again. So I took it off today and what do I find is 2 bolts laying in the bottom of the pan. I couldn't find what they went too either. I would assume someone at Hyundai didn't torque something right a few years back.

Also I stripped some threads in the upper pan anyone have experience on how to fix?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
6mmx1.00 Heli-Coil kit for the pan bolt holes, other wise it be approx $350 for the upper pan chunk if that wher the goofed holes is, or price of ne front cover and labor/gaskets there.. the bolts, look around, there not much underside above the pan that I recall (you would think I would know having short blocked a LAMBDA this past summer).

May want to try and look up in the chain area too, see if guide rails have the bolts in them to front of block, rough to see in the though, dont know if able to.. we have a camera on flex with monitor for sneaking into areas..

When you put pan back onto engine, bolt torque at 54 in/lb is all you need.... take tap and clean out all the holes to of past RTV debris so bolts spin into clean holes

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,802 Posts
You could try 1/4-28 bolts of the right length. No tapping required if is going into aluminum. Just don't over tighten. May be a cheap way to fix this. I've done it on trans pans before on Fords.

·
Registered
108 Posts
no worries, just a couple connecting rod bolts :)

(kidding)

maybe the brain surgeon tech who did your oil pan gasket dropped a couple pan bolts in the sump without noticing, couldn't find them, and just fetched a couple new ones from parts, with the old ones staying in the sump hidden under the oil?

·
22,793 Posts
This entire thread is disturbing. From an owner's standpoint, I'm not certain how I would have reacted when seeing those bolts in the pan. I can accurately describe the words I would have said, but I can't post those on here without fear of having my privileges revoked. And rightfully so. ;)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
This entire thread is disturbing. From an owner's standpoint, I'm not certain how I would have reacted when seeing those bolts in the pan. I can accurately describe the words I would have said, but I can't post those on here without fear of having my privileges revoked. And rightfully so. ;)
yeah this is a scary one....i kind of hope this is just a troll!

·
22,793 Posts
If it was a troll, it wouldn't have come from a Senior Mod with over 4,000 posts to his credit. That's what I would call a credible post.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
6mmx1.00 Heli-Coil kit for the pan bolt holes, other wise it be approx $350 for the upper pan chunk if that wher the goofed holes is, or price of ne front cover and labor/gaskets there.. the bolts, look around, there not much underside above the pan that I recall (you would think I would know having short blocked a LAMBDA this past summer).

May want to try and look up in the chain area too, see if guide rails have the bolts in them to front of block, rough to see in the though, dont know if able to.. we have a camera on flex with monitor for sneaking into areas..

When you put pan back onto engine, bolt torque at 54 in/lb is all you need.... take tap and clean out all the holes to of past RTV debris so bolts spin into clean holes
Thanks for the response. I never had good luck with heli coils but I'll give it a shot again. I really have no choice unless I want to get a hole new cover. I looked up in the engine and couldnt find where the bolts came from. I will barrow my buddys Camera when I take it apart again to redo the threads.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no worries, just a couple connecting rod bolts :)

(kidding)

maybe the brain surgeon tech who did your oil pan gasket dropped a couple pan bolts in the sump without noticing, couldn't find them, and just fetched a couple new ones from parts, with the old ones staying in the sump hidden under the oil?
Wishful thinking LOL. The big question is how long the bolts have been there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do the bolts in the bottom of the pan match the bolts that hold the pan in?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
If the pan gasket had previously been replaced it is highly likely that these bolts did come from the group of bolts that held it on. (And the mechanic story sounds plausible.) As they are not going anywhere and if everything else is OK, I would stop worrying and put the oil pan on and refill it with oil and go about your business. There is no way I can see how they would get sucked into the engine. They look like pan bolts to me judging from their appearance.

Definitely not rod nuts.

Not sure what you mean about stripping threads in the "upper pan." (What is an "upper pan?") The bolts thread into the block don't they?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the pan gasket had previously been replaced it is highly likely that these bolts did come from the group of bolts that held it on. (And the mechanic story sounds plausible.) As they are not going anywhere and if everything else is OK, I would stop worrying and put the oil pan on and refill it with oil and go about your business. There is no way I can see how they would get sucked into the engine. They look like pan bolts to me judging from their appearance.

Definitely not rod nuts.

Not sure what you mean about stripping threads in the "upper pan." (What is an "upper pan?") The bolts thread into the block don't they?
no they are not rod bolts. LOL and the oil pan is a 2 pc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No joke

In 80s..Ford advertized "Quality is Job One" Co-worker bought a Taurus .. keep hearing funny noise..eventually dealer openned up oil pan and found one rod bolt..yes it was a "rod bolt"..someone in factory did not tighten the bolt...coffee time I guess..

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Some friends had a Taurus which had engine issues; he couldn't hear it but she could (women don't lose their hearing as much as men do.) Dealer tore engine down and found several rod bearings loose and a main bearing spun. New engine (long block,) no charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts