Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my 06 3.3l into the dealer and they said the oil pan is not covered under warranty. It's clearly where my issue is - is it hard to change this oil pan on an automatic?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why is it not covered under warranty?

Does the drivetrain warranty not cover oil leaks? That seems strange, as it is a failed part (a gasket) that's causing it.

Or are you referring to the oil pan drain plug? If that was stripped because of being over tightened, then that would not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a ton of rust and is actually leaking through a small hole or crack. I forget what it looked like and if there is much in the way of dropping the pan myself instead of dropping $280.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. I've noticed before that these engines use stamped steel oil pans. Mine is starting to rust in some places, too.

What does the factory service manual say? Does it indicate if you can or can't remove the oil pan with the engine still on the car?

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
they said the oil pan is not covered under warranty.
OK then tell them you will just let it go until the oil runs out and the engine seizes......which then would be covered under warranty. :mad:

I think they are BS'ing you. Typically gasket failures are specifically exempted from extended coverage but an engine part rusting through certainly should be covered. It is part of the engine and it has failed.......in normal use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm gonna push back when they call back. I don't have my manual with me so at the moment I'm not sure if there is anything in the way or not - hopefully the job wouldn't be to bad to do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The pan on my '07 2.4l also leaks. I can't tell if the leak is actually from the pan or from somewhere above the pan and the oil is just finding its way down to the pan so that it looks like the pan is leaking. But the visibility on this engine is impossible. The only way to find the source is to remove the engine. I won't be doing that.

It looks like the pan is completely accessible from the bottom of the car. No frame members, no links, no exhaust, no nothing in the way. So it should be easy to remove & replace the pan. Not recommending it, just noting that it is an easy task. What to use as a gasket is a tougher question. This may be a case where no actual gasket part exists but a particular sealant is applied to the mating surface and the pan torqued into place. That'll take a little research to ascertain but would be worth it BEFORE removing the pan.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Careful! disaster has a 2.4L while saturn13 has a 3.3L Dunno if the oil pan is as easy to change on the 3.3L.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not difficult, challenge is breaking seal. No gasket, RTV. Recommend 3 bond RTV. You may need to replace pan if has crack or hole. Personally, if it was myself, I would remove pan , clean up & inspect for damage then repaint to prevent future rust before reinstallation. The dealership isn't going to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you AGW - if it is what you say and nothing but the seal then I shouldn't have to much of a problem - just more time lost from my life working on a Hyundai.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Original owner get the 10/100 in which the oil pan (I am assuming we talking about the lower engine oil pan)...

2nd or later owner is now customer pay, 5yr/60000 went away couple yr ago.

Oill pan is easy, putty knife to cut the RTV and get pan to drop, clean up, Prefer you use PERMATEX ULTRA in grey color... torque pan bolts to 54 in-lb, leave sit to cure good over night, add oil in morning, and happy motoring

Oil pan number good at Hyundai and Kia, who ever closer and maybe have it on shelf, likely be special order and couple days out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts