Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I pulled a spark plug on the 2018 Elantra w 2.0 "Nu" and saw this.
Pen Cylinder Audio equipment Gun accessory Writing implement

that's wet oil on the threads. It's not wet on the electrodes, but on the threads it is. This is cylinder 1 and 2 looks the same. I also recently noticed oil dampness on the front of the beauty cover. It's not heavy it's just damp looking. I thought maybe I had wiped it around. Checking the rest of the head I found seepage at the back corner behind cyl 1.
This car has all of 10,000 miles on it. The plugs have never been touched before this. The car has had several oil changes, going by calendar not odometer. It's never racked up even 3,000 within a six month period. Last year it barely went 1,000.

I've been told that if there's oil on the threads, but not in the plug well, it has to be an internal problem, like piston rings or valve seals. But in this case there's definitely oil seeping from the valve cover - and oil on the plug threads.
What if anything should I do about it?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Is it consuming oil or showing any other symptoms?
Have you talked to the dealer about replacing the VC gasket under warranty?
After they refuse I would change it on my own, put the plugs in, and drive on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never noticed the car consuming oil. Then again it has never traveled far enough over an OCI for consumption to become noticeable. I have checked on the level from time to time when the car gets used. But the car is used so rarely it's difficult to form an idea of the rate. (I keep the battery on a tender and ethanol free gas in the tank). The last oil change it had was in there for less than 800 miles - it just expired by the calendar (12 mo.s) instead of by mileage. Haven't talked to dealership yet. Just saw this yesterday. Got a pic of the back corner this morning.
Motor vehicle Light Black Automotive design Automotive tire

so that wet look could just be from my grubby mitts getting back there when I try to pull the beauty cover off.
But this detail here below is hard to explain that way. There's a glistening oil drop on the aluminum by that gray silicon blob. Doesn't show very well on camera.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts