Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right before driving to work last month, I checked my oil and found it was at the "L" on the dipstick. So I went to Advance Auto and bought a quart of Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W20 and poured the whole bottle in and drove off.

Today I checked it again and it's almost at the L again. It's been about a month and I've driven approximately 536 miles since I dropped the quart of oil in.

Before that I have to confess the oil wasn't looked at since it was changed in November. I assume I should be worried if it's dropping an entire quart of oil in just 500 miles, or is it somehow rejecting my "extra" oil?

Other points to ponder - should I put the oil in after the engine cools? Should I measure the oil when the engine is warmer? I always assumed a cold measure was the most accurate.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Cold measurement is fine...are you using full syn? I found after a couple months I was burning less, figuring it freed-up the rings (coking). You might want to change the PCV valve too...it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Check hot oil level on a level surface 3-5 minutes after shutdown.
Keep oil level full.

Verify VIN at dealer for all recalls and campaigns.

Check oil level weekly or at EVERY fuel fill up and top off as needed.

If oil consumption is excessive, run it empty, top it off, and go to dealer for engine replacement. Or, have dealer perform an oil consumption test.

I would definitely change the PCV valve, step up to a 5w30 synthetic, and follow the service service interval in your owners manual.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cold measurement is fine...are you using full syn? I found after a couple months I was burning less, figuring it freed-up the rings (coking). You might want to change the PCV valve too...it's pretty cheap.
I only use full synthetic. I'm not sure how or where the PCV valve is, I really only know the basics. I already scheduled an appointment for tomorrow because I'm worried sick about this thing. If the engine's about to go to **** it certainly picked a horrible time to do it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check hot oil level on a level surface 3-5 minutes after shutdown.
Keep oil level full.

Verify VIN at dealer for all recalls and campaigns.

Check oil level weekly or at EVERY fuel fill up and top off as needed.

If oil consumption is excessive, run it empty, top it off, and go to dealer for engine replacement. Or, have dealer perform an oil consumption test.

I would definitely change the PCV valve, step up to a 5w30 synthetic, and follow the service service interval in your owners manual.
It seems like they're never going to get the recall on the low pressure fuel hose done. It's been what 2 1/2 months? Am I just supposed to wait until it cracks til Hyundai gets off their butt and gets the remedy ready? Do recalls typically take this long?

I am curious about this PCV valve. Where is it and how do I change it? Do you think that's making me lose oil?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't believe the PCV valve is at fault, but the location is circled in the picture, remove hose, unscrew valve, screw in new valve, attach hose.
If it's burning that much oil, qt every 500 miles, call Hyundai direct to log the incident, they'll have you go to the dealer for an oil consumption test. If the test does indicate excessive oil usage, they'll install a new engine, no cost, free loaner.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't believe the PCV valve is at fault, but the location is circled in the picture, remove hose, unscrew valve, screw in new valve, attach hose.
If it's burning that much oil, qt every 500 miles, call Hyundai direct to log the incident, they'll have you go to the dealer for an oil consumption test. If the test does indicate excessive oil usage, they'll install a new engine, no cost, free loaner.
Alright, I guess we'll see what happens then. Gotta go back in 1000 miles anyway to get my oil changed but I did get them to initiate the test. Also apparently the lid wasn't properly tightened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts