Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife’s 2017 Limited has 73,000 miles and change. Her oil light has been going on intermittently, for about a week. We’re taking it the dealers tonight. Are the sensors and the oil control valve covered under the Powertrain warranty? Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Happens all the time

Did you pop the hood and check the oil? Make sure it is full prior to going to the dealer. Don't want to look like a fool with no oil on the dipstick.

If the oil is full, then you have two issues worth researching:
1. Your oil pressure sender failed and its a false reading.
2. Your engine is sludged and the oil pump pickup is clogged

I hope that you have exceptional maintenance on that vehicle. Hyundai theta-ii's are certified nightmares.

Once you verify your oil level, and dealer addresses the possible other issues, I'd recommend that you'd switch to the severe service interval in your owners manual. And, use a quality full synthetic oil 1 grade higher than what is shown on the oil cap. Both of my 2.4GDI's run full synth 0w30, 5w30, or 10w30, in place of the 5w20 grade. My oil levels are full always checked weekly. They both get ~3750 mile/6month oil/filter changes. I use whatever synthetic brand of oil is on sale and stick with premium oil filters since the OE filter is nothing special. If its a 2.0T, then use a 5w40 and 3k mile interval.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Powertrain definition;
Internal, moving and lubricated parts of the engine, transmission, and drive axle.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
If you use Mobil 1 oil it will stay looking new. No sense going to short oil changes either.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I wish. Mobil1, like every oil used in my theta-ii's, turns plenty dark quickly.
If the engine is already consuming oil, or is sludged, tremendous sense to shorten the OCI.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Just because it turns dark doesn't mean it's sludging. My engine looked brand new when I opened it up at +100k miles. No yellow stain either.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Never said my engine was sludged. What I am implying is that there is nothing special about Mobil1. And Mobil1, like every synthetic oil, doesn't stay looking like new in my theta-ii's.

The OP has a problem. Waiting on his response from his trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I didn't say the oil stayed looking new. The engine looked new inside and under the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I posted this, albeit from the '08 2.4 with 290,000 miles, but as one can see, dino oil 7500 mile changes with any filter

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Too bad its not a theta-ii

1 - 11 of 11 Posts