Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about the oil light.
On a cold start the oil pressure light goes out immediately.
After driving around for a while (engine warmed up) and shutting off the engine for anywhere between 45 to 60 minutes or so and then starting the engine again, the oil light will go out immediately, but then SOMETIMES, pop back on, MAYBE flicker, then stay off. This all takes place in less than a second, almost a microsecond. This is all very intermittent too, No rhyme or reason as to temp or time between starts. Engine is very quiet, except for a COLD start (over night). I use 5-20 and it makes no difference whether using conventional or synthetic. I change my own oil, but dealer did it once and I still get the same issue.
I suspect the sending unit, or is this 'normal'?

Any ideas or thoughts before the dealer tells me "cannot duplicate" or "it's normal"?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Some, maybe all, Santa Fe's have both oil pressure and oil level lights - at the risk of "teaching grandma to suck eggs" are you sure it's the pressure light?

It's not normal - the oil pressure light is set so low that many mechanics refer to it as the "just blown the engine" light.

Ignoring the warranty for one minute, the obvious way to go (and you're part way down) is to change the oil and filter ensuring that the correct specification of oil is used - sometimes a non-return valve in the filter can cause these symptoms - if it's not cured, change the oil light sender - they aren't expensive in the big scheme of things.

Your only issue should be persuading the dealer to use old-fashioned diagnostics like the above as it's clearly still under warranty.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I like Rupert's idea, and the fact that you are changing your own oil might provide a clue. There have been numerous reports of non-Korean oil filters having issues with leak-down. Can you identify your specific source for oil filter (brand and model) and can you find a fresh one to identify the country of origin?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Here in the UK, use of a non-Hyundai oil filter would void the warranty for this sort of issue as no other filter would specify Hyundai compliance even if they physically fit - I can't comment though on US terms & conditions.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
We're (written into law) a good bit less anal about the secondary parts market here, and that's been written into law. Of course, if a warranty issue comes up that can be unequivocally linked to a bad non-factory part, that's a problem. Of some interest, the filters my local oil change outfit uses on my Santa Fe aren't branded as Hyundai parts, but definitely look identical and are being sourced from Korea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has been going on for a while and Hyundai filter from the dealer has always been used.
3.5 V-6

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some, maybe all, Santa Fe's have both oil pressure and oil level lights - at the risk of "teaching grandma to suck eggs" are you sure it's the pressure light?

It's not normal - the oil pressure light is set so low that many mechanics refer to it as the "just blown the engine" light.

Ignoring the warranty for one minute, the obvious way to go (and you're part way down) is to change the oil and filter ensuring that the correct specification of oil is used - sometimes a non-return valve in the filter can cause these symptoms - if it's not cured, change the oil light sender - they aren't expensive in the big scheme of things.

Your only issue should be persuading the dealer to use old-fashioned diagnostics like the above as it's clearly still under warranty.
It's the warning light with the oil can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I have just let it sit one hour and fifteen minutes after driving and the light went out immediately.
Crazy, being not consistent. I still suspect a sending unit, problem is trying to convince dealer. I hate being told, "cannot duplicate" :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 3.5L V6 is an unusual design because the oil filter sits on top of the engine and fills from the bottom (rather than filling from the top like most other cars). So the oil can drain out of the filter by gravity (just like it does from the rest of the lubrication system) when the car is turned off, which might depend on how long the engine has been off, the air temperature, and who knows what other factors. I have not noticed a flickering oil light in my Santa Fe, but it does make noises frequently for several seconds after starting that indicates to me that the oil filter is empty and being refilled with oil.

This issue has been debated previously in the Hyundai forums:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/187-cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/134447-oil-pressure-question.html

and there are several theories about causes and possible concerns. My interpretation of your symptoms is that your oil filter has partially or fully drained, and the oil light comes back on and flickers during the period when the oil filter is refilling with oil. The oil system cannot reach its normal pressure until after the filter has refilled with oil. I personally have no concerns because I believe the engine designers are well aware of this empty filter behavior, and it is OK to experience a brief period on every startup before reaching full oil pressure. I would only worry if your oil light does not go out for good after a few seconds.

P.S. - I change my own oil and use only genuine parts from the dealer. I learned my lesson long ago that it is always best for me to use genuine parts in foreign cars.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a very similar condition on the car I traded in on my Santa Fe – a 2004 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.7L V6. When the engine was warm the oil light would sometimes come on. Often it would come on after a highway trip when I came down the exit ramp and stopped. I did have the oil pressure switch replaced, because that was diagnosed as the problem. But it still happened, so the low oil pressure reading was correct.

From what I could tell, it was because the oil was too thin when hot and therefore never kept the pressure high enough. I then moved to heavier oil on my next oil change – 10w40 up from 5w30 – and the issue went away. Then on a future oil change I forgot to specify 10w40 and they put in 5w30 and the oil pressure light issue came back. So I went back to 10w40 and never saw the light come on again.

That 2.7 L engine was known for oil circulation problems as there were lots of posts about those engines having “catastrophic failure”

Maybe you could try heavier oil in your Santa Fe to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
popeye-sf11, your explanation makes sense to me and is kind of what I thought after researching. It's only a small window of time this happens (45-60 minutes, or sometime not at all after shutting off a hot engine) and it is just a short flicker and the light does go out. This all happens in less than a second.

I might mention it next time I go to the dealer though.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts