Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting so I’ll introduce the vehicle.

2008 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L I bought at an auction not knowing what happened (I know. Bad idea). Of course I’ve done a FULL engine rebuild and even replaced all of the sensors with new ones.
Now for the fun stuff! The engine is rebuilt and all put together. Runs and drives fine too. I’ve driven it 150 miles now on this rebuild so not too much.

THE PROBLEM: after driving for about 15 minutes the oil light will come on below 1000 RPM. The oil reads fine on the dipstick and I know it’s flowing right to the head. I started with 5w-20 like the manufacturer recommends and decided to add Lucas oil engine oil stabilizer. Still happening. The really weird thing is that if I shut the engine off for 30 seconds and turn it back on it still idles at 600 RPM but now there’s no light! I let it sit idling for 5 min and the light never came on. I’m scratching my head.

Now here’s the nitty gritty. It’s the oil pump with the balance shaft module and no matter what your opinion is on the 2011-2012 models it goes all the way back to the 2006 models made at the Alabama plant. Metal got in to the oil after being left over.
Since you can’t buy the and it can’t be serviced (I’ve read) I’ve resorted to the wrecking yard. I have looked at 5 engines there. 4 of those engines had horribly bad pumps due to thrown rods. The 5th one did not have a thrown rod but someone took the pump. Probably the only good one there.
Anyone got any ideas?

RECAP: freshly rebuilt engine, oil light comes on when warm below 1000rpm. The oil level is fine. Shutting it down and waiting 30 seconds before starting up and the oil light is gone and won’t come back on as long as it’s idling.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Did you try changing the oil and filter again??
Just to check to see if there is anything in the oil that could cause this issue?
Could it be a faulty oil pressure sensor??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try changing the oil and filter again??
Just to check to see if there is anything in the oil that could cause this issue?
Could it be a faulty oil pressure sensor??
I already changed the oil. Changing it again would be the 3rd time changing the oil. I didn’t see anything unusual in the oil. I’ve also replaced the sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll give that a try.
Is there any pressure regulator valve or something with the VVT oil control valve? Oil control valve is also new

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Check the oil pressure sensor (sender) with a multimeter.
Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, attached in place of the sensor.
I'd expect at least 15lb at hot idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the oil pressure sensor (sender) with a multimeter.
Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, attached in place of the sensor.
I'd expect at least 15lb at hot idle.
Yes I just need to go and buy a gauge. The sending unit is new. From Hyundai the minimum oil pressure during hot idle should be 12+Psi

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ll give that a try.
Is there any pressure regulator valve or something with the VVT oil control valve? Oil control valve is also new
Hi. Sorry to jump in here with a first post buy I am in the same boat. Just did a complete rebuild with new genuine oil pump and I have the same issues.
Was the filter/strainer for the OCV between the Cylinder head and block replaced? I did not and think that is my problem. I think the strainer also acts as a "restrictor "
and with the hole to big, to much oil is going to the head and causes the lost oil pressure. That is my theory but was hoping for some feedback from the Hyundai experts before I take the head off again. I specialize in Mercedes-Benz but this Hyundai have me scratching my head

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have checked with a mechanical gauge and my pressure is definitely to low. Not an electrical issue. I also have code P0011 but that is probably because of the low oil pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven’t seen that filter at all. Not from the one I tore apart or the one I rebuilt. I’ll have to look into that strainer. Where is that strainer again?

I don’t have any engine codes but just a light. I’m buying the gauge today and then I’ll find out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. 24150
I was beating myself up all day since you mentioned that going through other forums and searching wildly on google. Went through pictures of the rebuild I took on my phone (unfortunately none of the top of the block). As I’m going through all this in my head I did remember seeing that one weird looking little plastic plus sign looking thing in the block and didn’t know what it was.
Ive unfortunately ordered a new head gasket and more head bolts... this should be in a manual somewhere...
I work with a lot of Koreans and even a few that work(ed) at Hyundai. I was given a login to their factory maintenance site and even bought a chiltons manual. This filter isn’t mentioned anywhere!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am however not 100% sure that this is the problem. Can you maybe confirm with someone at Hyundai if my theory is correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can. I’ll replace it anyway. Just in case. If it works out then I’ll definitely be posting an update.
I’ll also be rebuilding/replacing the oil pump and testing the pressure with a gauge, etc. as soon as it stops happening I’ll be letting people know

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that you have problem with oil pump/balancer and you need to replace it. I know that you have some pressure but you don’t have enough pressure. Had the same problem just on 2.0 Theta engine NF Sonata.

If you buy new OEM part you will get upgraded oil pump but watch out because for some reason that upgrade oil pump/balancer have little hole from the cain side that you need to close or you will have loos oil pressure again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that you have problem with oil pump/balancer and you need to replace it. I know that you have some pressure but you don’t have enough pressure. Had the same problem just on 2.0 Theta engine NF Sonata.

If you buy new OEM part you will get upgraded oil pump but watch out because for some reason that upgrade oil pump/balancer have little hole from the cain side that you need to close or you will have loos oil pressure again.
I fitted a brand new oil pump from the agents but did not take notice of the extra hole you are mentioning. I'll take the pan off and have a look again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I’ve seen the hole. I took apart the pump and know the bearings need to be replaced. The pump gears are beautiful though. I have a contact looking for a new BSM since they aren’t serviceable. Other than that I’ve only found them online for nearly $600. I can’t find them at a parts store or special order. I haven’t talked to a dealer yet though. I’ll call them to see what they’re selling them for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I should also mention that the little ball bearing is there. But I did not service or inspect the Allen head bolt on the side. I’ll be checking that as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts