Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my 2012 Santa Fe decided to give me the oil light flickering when the truck comes to a stop and is at idle.

I have checked and theres no sign of oil leaking (yet), the oil level is good and it was changed three months ago.
My OBD does not come up with any errors.

I have tried to research about this and the possible causes are low oil, oil filter not seated properly and oil pressure switch.

oil level is good, it has been changed months ago so I dont suspect the oil filter is incorrectly seated but I havent checked because its dark.

So I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, so what other issues could there be for the oil light to be flickering and being dim?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
3.5L V6 ????

Oil pressure switch.... get it before it fully "POPS" and shoot oil like an open artery... then we oil ness to next to no end

Did we just have oil change at a non-Hyundai facility ??... incorrect filter,, or filter install make for similar light concerns, but usually see MIL and find cam time related DTC's

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its the 3.5 V6 Limited edition.

No, oil change was done almost three months ago and I changed the oil myself. Im pretty sure I did it correctly and have had no issues all this time.

I just started today. It was a cold day (-25 overnight and -16 when the light come up)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Them oil switches just keep on going....south.

Got tasked with switch on a 3.3 GDI... I ended up eating part of it because I guessed less than what I thought it would take.. Hyundai site pretty lame for replace..

Come to find out that after intake off, there be GDI delivery pipe connected to 2 GDI injector rails over top of switch,, removed rails, I see switch.... Socket wont fit in, and water pipe in way (Hyundai site says "remove water pipe" as Step 1)...

Now I am removing stuff from top of transmission, then start to remove hardware holding crossover between back of both heads.. pull back a good bit, and finally water pipe in the valley comes out.. now I can wrench the switch out to replace it..

Next one that I get tasked with with will carry a 4.5hr labor estimate, GDI pipe was $120, switch is $20, misc gaskets and seals..

Got done, light still come on at idle... suspect something in pan or pump /engine concern.. took care of oil leak at top anyway, as leaking switch will make for oil light at idle... he took car,, I was glad to see it go.

Attachments

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I've seen Part location photos of the 3.3L long ago and certain then the oil switch was on the right middle area up top somewhere. I was presuming incorrectly its was a better layout. I believe this was in a Chilton manual I researched. I have to ask why are they not setup to be easily accessible. (if they fail under warranty its big deal for such an item).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Been 6 years ago, but $935 from dealer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts