Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first oil change today at my selling dealer in Northern VA. According to them, they do a fluid check and top off and check the filters blah, blah blah. Sounds just like Jiffy Lube to me. So afterwards I go to the car, pop the hood and notice that the chrome on the front of my hood is all greasy and fingerprinted. I thought to myself don't be too picky. I noticed the washer reservoir was not filled to the top. It was filled to the bottom of the neck. I thought, OK that's the proper fill level. Went to get the car washed down the road a bit 10 miles or so and came back home. I let the car sit for a couple hours at least while I mowed and trimmed my front yard. Now I open up the hood again and check the oil level and it is at the low mark and the coolant level is barely touching the low mark as well.

Called the dealer and spoke to the service manager and expressed my concerns. Bringing car in tomorrow so they can re-visit the oil level. Does anyone know where the dip stick reading should be if there is the proper amount of oil in the car? He tried to explain that the system they use pumps out a certain amount and that it should be correct and the dipstick may be short (hate when that happens!!)

For any of the DIYers out there, what is your take on this and is your dipstick level usually at the low mark with the correct amount of oil?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Aug 19 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350490
Does anyone know where the dip stick reading should be if there is the proper amount of oil in the car?
I fill it up, then start engine for 20 seconds +/-, shut off... walk long way around car to the open hood, and inspect oil level... add till it at full dot. Not that hard for somebody to do..

He tried to explain that the system they use pumps out a certain amount and that it should be correct and the dipstick may be short (hate when that happens!!)
So they is electronically regulating the oil the oil the tech gets from dispenser from remote location... last dealer I was at the part fella had sheet that told how much oil the car took... so they dial up the 3.94 qt and whine if you need more than called for on the goofy paper... here the pump is open, get what you need and make it correct the first time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Aug 19 2010, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350490
Had my first oil change today at my selling dealer in Northern VA. According to them, they do a fluid check and top off and check the filters blah, blah blah. Sounds just like Jiffy Lube to me. So afterwards I go to the car, pop the hood and notice that the chrome on the front of my hood is all greasy and fingerprinted. I thought to myself don't be too picky. I noticed the washer reservoir was not filled to the top. It was filled to the bottom of the neck. I thought, OK that's the proper fill level. Went to get the car washed down the road a bit 10 miles or so and came back home. I let the car sit for a couple hours at least while I mowed and trimmed my front yard. Now I open up the hood again and check the oil level and it is at the low mark and the coolant level is barely touching the low mark as well.

Called the dealer and spoke to the service manager and expressed my concerns. Bringing car in tomorrow so they can re-visit the oil level. Does anyone know where the dip stick reading should be if there is the proper amount of oil in the car? He tried to explain that the system they use pumps out a certain amount and that it should be correct and the dipstick may be short (hate when that happens!!)

For any of the DIYers out there, what is your take on this and is your dipstick level usually at the low mark with the correct amount of oil?
Another half-crapped job eh? When done correctly the dipstick level should be close to the full mark and nowhere near the low mark. I would take it back and make them change it again and have them reimburse you for your time. What a waste.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Should always be very close to the full mark.

This, stripped drain plugs and oil filters that do not get changed is a good reason to Become a DIY'r. Its overkill but why I use a torque wrench on my oil plug. One ham fisted oil changer and look out. Ever want to become a DIY'r we can give you some good tips. Would be a pain however in an apt complex or similar.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Aug 19 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350504
Should always be very close to the full mark.

This, stripped drain plugs and oil filters that do not get changed is a good reason to Become a DIY'r. Its overkill but why I use a torque wrench on my oil plug. One ham fisted oil changer and look out. Every want to become a DIY'r we can give you some good tips.
That's not over kill; that's doing it RIGHT. The manufacturer doesn't put a torque spec on it for health? You did the job RIGHT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Aug 19 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350490

I had my first oil change done on my new Sonata at 5K recently. I asked for 5W30 synthetic oil and was told they only had 5W20. OK, I thought, they know what they are doing. When I checked the oil dipstick level the next day it was down 2/3 L from full. The car was level and hadn't been started all day. Checked my receipt, it says they provided 5 L of synthetic oil at $11.54 per L ($57.70 plus 13% tax!). Made me want to start DIY'ing this stuff again, but I'm getting too old and lazy.

The next day I get an email from the "Director of Service Operations" inquiring if everything was satisfactory with my last service visit. I thought, great, at least they care and will top off the oil fill. I replied with my story and never heard a thing back, so I bought a liter of oil and topped it off myself.

For my next oil change I am going to buy a bunch of Hyundai oil filters from Hyundai parts dept. and a case of Mobil 5W30 synthetic from Costco ($30). Then I'm taking it to another mechanic of my own choosing to get it installed as needed every 5K. I'm keeping all the receipts as proof of required servicing.

I won't name the dealer directly, but I am in Ottawa Canada and they are in Bells Corners.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (hammerme @ Aug 21 2010, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350910
I had my first oil change done on my new Sonata at 5K recently. I asked for 5W30 synthetic oil and was told they only had 5W20. OK, I thought, they know what they are doing. When I checked the oil dipstick level the next day it was down 2/3 L from full. The car was level and hadn't been started all day. Checked my receipt, it says they provided 5 L of synthetic oil at $11.54 per L ($57.70 plus 13% tax!). Made me want to start DIY'ing this stuff again, but I'm getting too old and lazy.

The next day I get an email from the "Director of Service Operations" inquiring if everything was satisfactory with my last service visit. I thought, great, at least they care and will top off the oil fill. I replied with my story and never heard a thing back, so I bought a liter of oil and topped it off myself.

For my next oil change I am going to buy a bunch of Hyundai oil filters from Hyundai parts dept. and a case of Mobil 5W30 synthetic from Costco ($30). Then I'm taking it to another mechanic of my own choosing to get it installed as needed every 5K. I'm keeping all the receipts as proof of required servicing.

I won't name the dealer directly, but I am in Ottawa Canada and they are in Bells Corners.
Thanks for the heads-up warning Mine is going in Next Monday. It's my dealer too. Now I know what they are charging. I already got my Mobil 1 5W30 at Walmart (also $30) that I am going to ask them to use.

I just did our Tucson's oil for the first time myself (with Mobil 1 and what an improvement!). Found that the bottom cover was only held by 3 of the 6 screws. One stripped, one lost and with the third one the washer was gone causing the bolt head to go through the hole in the plastic cover. Also, watch these guys for brakes - they see "servicing brakes" as a cash cow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts