Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my oil the other day and it said half. Im 2000kms shy of my second oil change.
the car has 10,000 + on it now.
Never had a Hyundai use oil before.
Dealer changed with 5/20 Hyundai dino oil.
I wonder if it was the long 20 hr drive home, few small stops here and there.
Our car does 99.8% highway driving..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Did you ever check the oil level after your most recent oil change? Maybe it wasn't filled enough.

My first dealer-performed oil change actually resulted in an overfill . I checked the oil level the morning after the work was done and the oil level is one-eighth of an inch above the top hash mark on the stick, which is probably about a half quart too much.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Overnight it could have drained back into the pan. I believe you should check the oil at operating temperature and at idle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jul 12 2010, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340984
Overnight it could have drained back into the pan. I believe you should check the oil at operating temperature and at idle.

No sir, oil is checked after the engine is off about 10 minutes, and on level ground.

The overfill problem may be that the dealer put in 5 qts., where it only takes only 4.73 qts.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jul 12 2010, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340984

QUOTE (cav @ Jul 12 2010, 11:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340995
No sir, oil is checked after the engine is off about 10 minutes, and on level ground.

The overfill problem may be that the dealer put in 5 qts., where it only takes only 4.73 qts.
this topic has always been confusing for me. Some ppl say to check when cold, some say to check when hot. if the engine is hot, oil is circulating which means reading would be low, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (cav @ Jul 12 2010, 11:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340995

Your supposed to check your oil every time you fill up at the gas station (in a perfect world). Wait one or two minutes for the oil to run down the motor should be sufficient.

If the oil capacity is 4.73 then adding 5 quarts should not be an "overfill" condition. Adding 6 or more quarts is.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i always check when its sat over night and cold engine...
im thinking the dealer diddnt fill it enough in southern ont.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's always best to check oil level when cold indeed. And on the same spot. Mostly for consistency and avoid burning your hands. If you let hot oil drain back to the sump for 10 minutes or longer, reading would be basically the same as cold, so no difference; try it if you don't believe it :grin:.

As far as telling if engine is consuming oil, you need to check it right after an oil change, and monitor oil level every 1K miles. Dealer could have left oil level low, as noted. Besides, you CANNOT ASSUME your engine doesn't burn oil and forget about it until next oil change; if you blow your engine for lack of oil it wouldn't be covered under warranty due to negligence.

If dealer put 5 quarts, it's not going to cause any problems, but technically, if level is above the max mark (hole), it's overfilled. Mine was overfilled as well, with about 2 to 3mm above the max mark. I'm at 800 miles now, and already bought Mobil1 0/30 for hot TX (it's been over 100 for weeks). Was going to leave it a bit longer, but with direct injection engines prone to carbon deposits, I don't want dino oil in there.

Finally, my Sonata doesn't seem to be consuming oil, but as a comment, my last 2 Hondas (I've owned many in the past) consume oil since day 1. Not enough to warrant a claim (about 1/8-qt every 1K miles), but never happened before. And yes, broke in by the book, as always. Guess tolerances (and therefore quality) are not the same anymore. Oh well. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts