Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a cold engine, just noticed that my oil level is well over the F mark on the dip stick. Is this normal?

Last oil change was 4.5 litres as per the manual for 2016 1.6L Gamma Turbo.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
on a cold engine, just noticed that my oil level is well over the F mark on the dip stick. Is this normal?

Last oil change was 4.5 litres as per the manual for 2016 1.6L Gamma Turbo.

How well over the full mark?

I think you will find that when they change the oil not all the old oil is removed leading to the overfill. If not significant I wouldn't worry about it. If greatly over the remedy is to remove some oil. I would suck that oil out of the dipstick tube if possible. Removing it from the bottom will be an ungodly mess.

I'm thinking the typical oil change recommendation is about 4.8 quarts. Nine chances out of 10 they will put in five quarts. At a dealer, I imagine that they use bulk oil so they may have calibrated the oil amount incorrectly. They often do this with air pressure.

I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to check it cold just so you can sleep comfortably at night. The main danger of overfilling is foaming of the oil which is not good. But in small amounts the problem not important.

You must check the oil level on perfectly level ground. Be sure to do that first.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is why you NEVER put in the full amount of oil they call for in the manual.

Pour in four quarts, start the engine, let it run for a few minutes, shut off, let it sit for a few minutes then recheck the level.

Top off slowly until your just below or at the full mark....

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Many techs intentionally overfill by 1/4", including the Tucson I just bought.
The rationale is that so many people never check the level between changes,
so if the engine uses a little oil that little extra might avoid disaster.

·
Registered
207 Posts
At a dealer, I imagine that they use bulk oil so they may have calibrated the oil amount incorrectly. They often do this with air pressure.
Don't know about other countries/dealerships, but here all dealerships give you the packaging and any leftover materials after doing an oil&filter change. They usually ask me if I want to inspect/keep the old filters, but not the oil obviously. On my previous car I would regularly be left with a 1 liter bottle with about half leftover oil in it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This seems like when the techs overfill your tires under the idea that it is better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled and few people check their tire pressure.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm thinking the typical oil change recommendation is about 4.8 quarts.
There is no typical recommendation here, there is a specific requirement for an exact amount. After the oil is drained completely, that exact amount should be put in. Or you could follow the recommendation @HDHyundiaGuy and put a little less in, then check it and trickle more in (personally, I have changed oil hundreds of times and have always added back the amount specified in the manual, and this has never resulted in overfilling).

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is no typical recommendation here, there is a specific requirement for an exact amount. After the oil is drained completely, that exact amount should be put in. Or you could follow the recommendation @HDHyundiaGuy and put a little less in, then check it and trickle more in (personally, I have changed oil hundreds of times and have always added back the amount specified in the manual, and this has never resulted in overfilling).
I have changed a lot also in cars, truck and motorcycles and if I poured in the amount specified in the manuals, 99% of the time, the pan would have been overfilled. A little less oil is better than too much oil in the pan but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The first time the dealer changed oil in my Tuscon, I had to drain out a full quart to get it down to the full mark. Idiots!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have never had such an issue with meeting the full line as I have on my 1.6Ts. I will trickle it up to full, over a period of hours. A week later I’m a quarter inch above full. I have markings on my garage floor to consistently check the oil level. It’s been blowing my mind but whatever st this point.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It may have nothing to do with it but if they would have put the oil pan drain plug in the rear of the pan like most vehicles, us who do our own oil changes could possibly drain out more of the old oil.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for their input, much appreciated.

As I have an easy drain, it was simple to take out about 1/2 litre to get the level down to the full mark. I'm starting to think the dealer just dumped a full 4.5 litres into it.

Again, thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts