Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - vehicle started leaking oil, no apparent reason or cause except code P0014. Trying to figure out if the pistons may have come in contact with the valves due to the timing and that blew the head gasket or if the cam shaft seal is broken and that caused the leak. Need some help and advice please. I have a thinkdiag so i can run a lot of different tests im just not sure what to test. Engine compression seemed fine. time injections 1 to 3 were at 2.5 but 4 to 6 was around 1.7. manifold pressure was 331PA. Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
HS:
Would this be the 2.4L, or 3.5L? The V6 is known for a leaking oil sending unit, which the engineers thoughtfully buried under the intake manifold. Not sure if the 4 cyl uses the same sender. A $15 part which dealers want $700-$800 to replace.

Don

·
Registered
213 Posts
It must be a 6 from his time injection post.
If compression readings are fine, then I see no reason to suspect bent valves. You may need a new actuator for the VVT.
Any idea where the oil leak is coming from? The sending unit is in the valley between the cylinder banks, so intake would need to be removed. How is the oil level, as the VVT uses oil pressure to actuate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HS:
Would this be the 2.4L, or 3.5L? The V6 is known for a leaking oil sending unit, which the engineers thoughtfully buried under the intake manifold. Not sure if the 4 cyl uses the same sender. A $15 part which dealers want $700-$800 to replace.

Don
I have the 3.5L V6. I did see some posts about this previously, is there a way to determine that is the problem by running any vehicle tests with the ODBC tool? I am suing think diag so it has a lot of features to test different systems. when i run it on the ecm i get the p0014 error not sure if that could be related or if i just need a new sensor as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It must be a 6 from his time injection post.
If compression readings are fine, then I see no reason to suspect bent valves. You may need a new actuator for the VVT.
Any idea where the oil leak is coming from? The sending unit is in the valley between the cylinder banks, so intake would need to be removed. How is the oil level, as the VVT uses oil pressure to actuate it.
thanks for the help! the oil level is fine, my mechanic was not able to determine where the leak was coming from. he thinks its the head gasket so it may make sense that it is the sending unit and/or the VVT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help! the oil level is fine, my mechanic was not able to determine where the leak was coming from. he thinks its the head gasket so it may make sense that it is the sending unit and/or the VVT.
The leak is coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side. from the valve cover to the cylander head is dry so it looks like it is leaking at the back cylander head. I did have a code that stated: B(exhaust) camshaft position - timing over advanced or system performance bank 1. which may make sense. i also ran an engine block test and the liquid didnt change colors so i dont think it is the head gasket but im really confused at this point. thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The leak is coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side. from the valve cover to the cylander head is dry so it looks like it is leaking at the back cylander head. I did have a code that stated: B(exhaust) camshaft position - timing over advanced or system performance bank 1. which may make sense. i also ran an engine block test and the liquid didnt change colors so i dont think it is the head gasket but im really confused at this point. thanks in advance for the help!
If you have oil leaking from the back of the engine it's probably the sending unit. I had the same thing happen on my 2012...leaks down the back of the engine and runs down onto the transmission to the ground. My oil filter housing was leaking as well. Luckily I have a 3rd part warranty that covered the repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts