Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I brought my 11 Sonata turbo to a Hyundai service centre today to fix its oil leak, and a service man reported "found line off turbo to block leaking".

It is not covered under the powertrain warranty and not eligible to claim the new vehicle warranty since I got 71k miles on my Sonata. So, I have to pay $312 both part and labour.

I'm just wondering if it can be covered by the powertrain warranty or the fixing cost is reasonable.
I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's possible that line was replaced during a recall and not installed correctly. I'd check and see if the recall applied to your vehicle. If so, they MAY repair under good will.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Original owner ?

My thoughts is it is not an internal lubricated part, it is an external oil supply line that feeds oil to turbo,, or it is the return line to sump of oil already used at turbo.. ned clarification as to which line we talking about.

Have VIN ? First handfull production turbo got oil feed line replace, if it leak at either of the 2 flange, then you might could argue "bum" installation of replacement line, but at 71,000,, be a hard sale likely.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Original owner ?

My thoughts is it is not an internal lubricated part, it is an external oil supply line that feeds oil to turbo,, or it is the return line to sump of oil already used at turbo.. ned clarification as to which line we talking about.

Have VIN ? First handfull production turbo got oil feed line replace, if it leak at either of the 2 flange, then you might could argue "bum" installation of replacement line, but at 71,000,, be a hard sale likely.
I couldn't find the campaign number, but I'm glad someone else remembers it. I do remember only doing like 1 or 2 when they first came out though.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I couldn't find the campaign number, but I'm glad someone else remembers it. I do remember only doing like 1 or 2 when they first came out though.

Recall number dont matter.. they all done long time ago when turbo first hit dealer..

I think I did may 4 or 5 (piece of crap no pay warranty job).. other techs did a few themself too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm the original owner and had the recall service long time ago. at 71k miles, i doubt Hyundai is willing to give me free service for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need advice re Turbo Santa Fe 2006 new model

Hi red oil light on my Hyundai Santa Fe came on after Christmas brought it to garage they said that the turbo was gone that it needed replacement cost over €1,000 and it has been whistling ever since gone back to them and they said that it was harmless. Notice last week that the jeep was getting sluggish and loosing power but because I am a lady I am imagining things.!.. Anyhow yesterday red light came on again and an awful whizzing noise came before the jeep died (no power). When put up on recovery the recovery guy and me could see that the oil was leaking out. Spoke to mechanic this morning and he said the oil pump is gone. my question is does a turbo go on its own or does the turbo usually go due to something else being wrong with the jeep. should they have check the oil pump then or what totally confused feel I am being played and drained of euros. Help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi red oil light on my Hyundai Santa Fe came on after Christmas brought it to garage they said that the turbo was gone that it needed replacement cost over €1,000 and it has been whistling ever since gone back to them and they said that it was harmless. Notice last week that the jeep was getting sluggish and loosing power but because I am a lady I am imagining things.!.. Anyhow yesterday red light came on again and an awful whizzing noise came before the jeep died (no power). When put up on recovery the recovery guy and me could see that the oil was leaking out. Spoke to mechanic this morning and he said the oil pump is gone. my question is does a turbo go on its own or does the turbo usually go due to something else being wrong with the jeep. should they have check the oil pump then or what totally confused feel I am being played and drained of euros. Help!
The turbo is a mechanical part moved by exhaust pressure.
They can fail from poor assembly, lack of oil, engine failure going into the turbo.
Now your oil line failure be4 could have damaged the turbo but not enough to break it at that point.
Now with your oil pump broken that could definitely detroy your turbo and your engine.

What caused the pump failure ???
It's a moving part so no one can really point to what made this happen.
Unless a big rash of turbo engine oil pump fail they will just chalk it up to bad part .
Sorry to hear no the least

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my 2011 Sonata Turbo a couple months ago. My car had a smell of gas coming from the engine. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as oil leaking from the feed tube of the turbocharger. Fixed it for $389.00 Found out that there was a TSB for this and sent email to Hyundai customer care cause the dealer didnt do anything for it. Customer care ended up explaining that TSBs are not covered under warranty. Well, if its a known issue with the car and other people are having problems with it then why wouldn't you cover it out of goodwill? Its bs. Long story short they refunded me the cost of the repair but just the hassle of it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts