Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always been aware of my slight oil leak on my 2003 Hyundai Accent. But it wasn't until I took it to Firestone for a discount oil change that it started getting worse and began to actually smell of burning oil while driving. I've checked the obvious places (ie the oil pan bolt and the newly installed oil filter) and I've determined it's definitely coming from higher up in the engine. Also, when putting cardboard underneath, you can see that it drips from right behind the engine. I figure it is probably that seal that costs but loads of money in labor to replace but when checking it today I noticed that the oil SEEMS to be in the top part of the engine rdripping down. I'm attaching pictures of the one spot in particular that appears wet with oil. I'm not sure what it is but I believe it is next to the injectors. I appreciate any and all help and I know oil leaks can be a difficult diagnosis going only on pictures. Let me know if there's any thing I can do aside from taking it in right now that will help me diagnose. I am ordering some ATP-205 in the meantime. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I am ordering some ATP-205 in the meantime. Thanks!
What is that, some brand of "snake oil" ??
Probably NOT a good idea.

"We" can guess at the cause all week long and might still be wrong. Could be as simple as a loose valve cover gasket or as bad as a blown head gasket or cracked head.

You need a mechanic to actually LOOK at it and tell you what is going on.......or you could just drive it until it melts down or catches fire !! :eek: :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the ATP is not a snake oil it's just a rejuvenator of seals. It has some kind of enzyme that does that. It has consistently high reviews, unlike the "additives" that are sold

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your cam cover gasket is baked hard as a rock.. replace the cam cover gasket set with new pliable rubber parts and carry on.

Dont bother with silly addatives, it'll just add to likely hood you need new engine due to pouring foreign substance where clean motor oil should reside.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Well, the ATP is not a snake oil it's just a rejuvenator of seals. It has some kind of enzyme that does that. It has consistently high reviews, unlike the "additives" that are sold
Not all additives are worthless but using one where it is not needed sometimes CAUSES more problems than it solves.

An external GASKET is not the same as an internal SEAL.

Doctoring seals when they don't need it can cause other problems down the road.

I still think it is a bad idea under the present circumstances.

And sbr is a trained and experienced mechanic.
He is most likely giving you good advice.
Ignoring it kind of defeats the purpose of asking in the first place.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the gasket on the cam covers is gone. those bolts often get loose on any car after enough time. this is an easy job, can be done in 30 minutes or less. gasket isn't expensive either. to prevent further problems if you plan on keeping the car a good while longer, blue loctite on the bolts will solve this. you're likely leaking oil onto your exhaust somewhere as it drips down the engine causing the burning.

oil additives are not going to solve a broken gasket - its broken. can't magically reform rubber. my advice as always is to fix the problem instead of throwing away money on additives.

also just as good practice, check other potential leak sources. rear man seal would present as oil leaking between transmission bellhousing and engine under the car. pan gasket would present around the oil pan. front man seal would be behind your main crank pulley and finally the cam seals would present leaking oil behind the timing belt cover. the top half can be easily removed and reinstalled, i think its 4 bolts.

as with all repairs, i recommend using anti-seize lubricant on the bolt/screw threads unless you are applying loctite. prevents nasty headaches of breaking bolts down the road.

above mentioned thread lubricants can be found at any automotive store.

·
Registered
599 Posts
.... i.e.: "Snakeoil"....

sbr711 and zero_gravity have the solution to your problem.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
.... i.e.: "Snakeoil"....
Not all additives are useless......but most are. ;)

IF....your problem is old, worn out valve stem seals, then the products designed to deal with that usually are remarkably effective......if it isn't too bad. "High mileage" oils have it already in there.

But either way it is a temporary fix and the problem likely will be back in 20K miles or less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

So yesterday I used a degreaser on the engine and got it all nice and clean to get better pictures of the leak. Right in the pictures you can see that hole I was talking about with the threads. When the engine is running it constantly has a little bit of oil running out of it and when the engine is off it is just sitting there. Would I be wrong to find that sized bolt to screw in ??? These pictures are with the engine running btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is literally almost draining oil from that hole so I would like to start there with the treatment of this leak since it seems most obvious to me

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just don't want to plug up something that maybe isn't supposed to be plugged??? I can't find a picture anywhere online of a hyudai accent's back part of the engine where I could see if there is a bolt screwed in and I don't know what to call it either!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the gasket on the cam covers is gone. those bolts often get loose on any car after enough time. this is an easy job, can be done in 30 minutes or less.
Sorry, just reread this. So, the bolt that's missing normally would hold a gasket? Did it deteriorate or fall off do you think?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is nothing that goes there.. that hole is acting as a "sump" and your leaking oil is filling that hole and running over.. There is nothing abount the intake manifold casting that has anything to do with controlling oil, other than to catch what running out of engine and make mess

1 - 20 of 54 Posts