Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm having a huuuge issue. I replaced my own oil a couple of weeks ago and I'm noticing that there's an oil leak (not big but very little but consistent). I know it's coming from the oil plug because on the seal, there's oil around there. I've been reading around and my uncle mentioned something about using a oil drain plug gasket. I don't remember seeing one when I took off my oil plug (previously it was done at the dealership) and there was no leak (that I can recall). My main question is should there be an oil drain plug gasket / washer on it? I'm just questioning it because I don't remember seeing one when I took the drain plug off and my other cars that we have at home don't require a washer of the sort (one is a 1999 i35).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes there is a crush washer. The dealer charged me $1.29 per washer when I bought 5 to last me a couple years.

Also make sure the oil is not leaking from the pan gasket and pooling on the drain plug. There have been issues with some pan gaskets leaking. I changed my oil a couple weeks ago and took the whole plastic covering off so I could check for the small pan leak some have mentioned on here - my oil pan looked dry around the whole seal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and you guys are talking about the washer that goes on the oil screw right? not the oil filter?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The stock oil drain plug washer is made from very soft aluminum. When tightened to the proper torque value it deforms slightly and does a good job of sealing. If you don't use the washer, galling can occur between the face of the drain plug and drain port on the oil pan. That can lead to a pesky leak, even with a new washer if the galling is bad enough. I use a new oem washer at every oil change. No leaks so far on two different YF's.

·
Registered
433 Posts
just go to a Hyundai dealer and ask for the oil drain plug washer. They will know what you mean.

GASKET-OIL PLUG
Part #21513-23001

they come in packs of 10, but the dealer will probably sell you a few if you don't want all ten. If it is a nice dealer, they will just give you one.

Amazon has them as well [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-Drain-Gasket-21513-23001/dp/B008N2JLLG[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts