Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My i10 Comfort has done 5000 miles and has just developed an oil leak in the area of the clutch/gearbox.
It isn't very much (at the moment), just a drip every minute of so, but as the car is only 9 months old it shouldn't be happening.

Any one experienced the same problem?

I will attach some photos.

Regards from
uncletony

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (uncletony @ May 30 2010, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327799
My i10 Comfort has done 5000 miles and has just developed an oil leak in the area of the clutch/gearbox.
It isn't very much (at the moment), just a drip every minute of so, but as the car is only 9 months old it shouldn't be happening.

Any one experienced the same problem?

I will attach some photos.

Regards from
uncletony
At 5,000 miles looks too clean to be engine oil, so probably gear oil. Warranty will take care of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ May 30 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327801
At 5,000 miles looks too clean to be engine oil, so probably gear oil. Warranty will take care of it.
Its a bit worrying as this has also been reported on the i20,this is basic engineering to mate 2 surfaces with a seal/gasket between so there is no excuse in this day and age to get it wrong.
Something elementary has been overlooked---- surfaces not flat,wrong torque on clamping screws or wrong material for seal/gasket.
This could be a very costly repair bill for Hyundai and very inconvenient for the owners.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
there is no gasket or sealant between the engine and gearbox. the only two places oil can leak from in that area is the rear crankshaft oil seal or the front seal on the gearbox, either way the gearbox will have to be removed to effect a cure

·
Registered
541 Posts
QUOTE (Montego @ May 30 2010, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327838
there is no gasket or sealant between the engine and gearbox. the only two places oil can leak from in that area is the rear crankshaft oil seal or the front seal on the gearbox, either way the gearbox will have to be removed to effect a cure

Out of interest, Montego, how are the two surfaces mated?

The absence of oil leaks is one of the reasons I would buy a new car. Can't stand oil dripping on garage floor or driveway. All the cars I've had (old and new) have either not leaked - or if they have leaked I've had a mechanic repair them properly if it wasn't something I could do myself. Clearly it will be fixed under warranty - but won't inspire confidence for the owner. Will the dealer offer a courtesy car? I was offered a loan car when my i10 went in but had to pay towards it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (oldstan @ May 30 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327844
Out of interest, Montego, how are the two surfaces mated?

The absence of oil leaks is one of the reasons I would buy a new car. Can't stand oil dripping on garage floor or driveway. All the cars I've had (old and new) have either not leaked - or if they have leaked I've had a mechanic repair them properly if it wasn't something I could do myself. Clearly it will be fixed under warranty - but won't inspire confidence for the owner. Will the dealer offer a courtesy car? I was offered a loan car when my i10 went in but had to pay towards it.
That's not very good Stan. On the two occasions that my dealer has had to do long warranty jobs on the two Hyundais I have had, I have always been given a courtesy car, brand new ones at that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's not very good Stan. On the two occasions that my dealer has had to do long warranty jobs on the two Hyundais I have had, I have always been given a courtesy car, brand new ones at that.

Well, he said if one was available I would need to pay a tenner...but I didn't ask if that was a day / week / month....my car was at the dealer for three weeks and I don't know how they would have viewed that. They would probably have said take the car back until the clutch parts came...in the event I used my other car and left it there to save the hassle of getting to and from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
#quote# Out of interest, Montego, how are the two surfaces mated?

it is just a metal to metal contact between the gearbox and the engine, there is no need for any gasket or sealant because the clutch assembly sits in the 'void' that is called the gearbox bell housing and the clutch should be dry at all times. if one of those two seals starts to leak badly then oil builds up inside the bell housing and will then get onto the clutch and cause it to start slipping. on cars a few generations ago there used to be a small hole drilled into the bottom of the bell housing with a split pin in it that would rattle about so that the hole would not get blocked up and allow any leaking oil to escape without contaminating the clutch (this was called a giggle pin) but on modern cars with better quality oil seals this is not required. this arrangement is normal on any make and model of car

l hope you understand my explanation

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's never easy to spot where a leak originates - you only see the drip at the lowest point.
I spent a long time on my last car tracking down a drip from the bottom of the bell housing and it started off right at the top of the engine with the cam angle sensor. No way could the "flow" be spotted as the path was not visible with the engine in the car and it was only from others experiences that pointed to what it was.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my i10 to the dealer to assess the oil leak (as detailed earlier in this thread). They couldn't fix it there and then, but gave me a 2-day appointment the following week. I dropped it off for the 2-day job, but by 5pm the same day they called to say it was all done!

I haven't driven it much since the work (30 miles or so), but I am monitoring my driveway carefully!! Incidentally the mechanics has used my alloy wheel unlocking tool - so I assume it was necessary to remove at least one front wheel to work on the gearbox.

I asked what was wrong, the service receptionist said 'oil seal, it's been replaced'.
I asked for a written report, the service receptionist said 'we don't do that'.
I asked to see the service manager. the service receptionist said 'he's gone home'.
I asked what happens if I move home and the same problem re-occurs and I need it fixing under warranty. The service receptionist said 'all Hyundai service centres have access on the computer network to all Hyundai vehicles service history, so there'll be no problem'. I said 'so everyone can see stuff about my car except me'. 'correct, sir' was the reply !!

They also changed out the headlamps positioning switch because the motor would frequently start whirring (reported in other threads), and, as I has previously complained about terrible radio reception I got a brand new radio/head-unit complete with the latest software see here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...p;#entry333897)!

That day in the workshop was what I call a good result. My dealer is Arnold Clarke, Aberdeen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (uncletony @ Jun 17 2010, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333888
The service receptionist said 'all Hyundai service centres have access on the computer network to all Hyundai vehicles service history, so there'll be no problem'. I said 'so everyone can see stuff about my car except me'. 'correct, sir' was the reply !!

That causes me concern. If you had requirment to reject a car, you need all that information and for some unknown reason Hyundai dont make it available.

QUOTE (uncletony @ Jun 17 2010, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333888
They also changed out the headlamps positioning switch because the motor would frequently start whirring (reported in other threads),

Can you update us on how long that fix lasts for. I've still been told the fix is not ready ( that was yesterday afternoon ).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just noticed that your dealer is Arnold Clark I found them to be nae very helpful.
Did you buy the car from them?
QUOTE (uncletony @ Jun 17 2010, 05:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333888
I took my i10 to the dealer to assess the oil leak (as detailed earlier in this thread). They couldn't fix it there and then, but gave me a 2-day appointment the following week. I dropped it off for the 2-day job, but by 5pm the same day they called to say it was all done!

I haven't driven it much since the work (30 miles or so), but I am monitoring my driveway carefully!! Incidentally the mechanics has used my alloy wheel unlocking tool - so I assume it was necessary to remove at least one front wheel to work on the gearbox.

I asked what was wrong, the service receptionist said 'oil seal, it's been replaced'.
I asked for a written report, the service receptionist said 'we don't do that'.
I asked to see the service manager. the service receptionist said 'he's gone home'.
I asked what happens if I move home and the same problem re-occurs and I need it fixing under warranty. The service receptionist said 'all Hyundai service centres have access on the computer network to all Hyundai vehicles service history, so there'll be no problem'. I said 'so everyone can see stuff about my car except me'. 'correct, sir' was the reply !!

They also changed out the headlamps positioning switch because the motor would frequently start whirring (reported in other threads), and, as I has previously complained about terrible radio reception I got a brand new radio/head-unit complete with the latest software see here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...p;#entry333897)!

That day in the workshop was what I call a good result. My dealer is Arnold Clarke, Aberdeen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Jim Clark @ Jun 18 2010, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334016
Just noticed that your dealer is Arnold Clark I found them to be nae very helpful.
Did you buy the car from them?
Yes, I did, and it was an interesting (positive) experience - read on....
We went for a test drive an i10 Style in late June and finally decided to buy a Comfort (using the scrappage scheme). We were quoted an on-the-road price of £5000 exactly. But before actually making the purchase we had to take our 6+ foot daughter along to see if there was there sufficient head room in the rear seats for her; which of course there was.

So, at the beginning of July we went back to close the deal only to be told the price had gone up that morning by £200! Rip-off! I thought, but we were assured this was a fact (to check I phoned both Hyundai UK head office and Barnett's Hyundai dealership in Dundee and they both confirmed the rise).

So sheepishly I went back to Arnold Clark, Aberdeen, and started the purchase process - but would you believe it - the salesman knocked £100 off the increased price as a goodwill gesture because we had shown genuine interest in buying immediately before the rise!!

I picked up the car on September 1st and have been quite content with it since - apart from the rubbish radio, the headlamp switch and latterly the oil leak (which I hope are now problems in the past). I am also particularly pleased with this i10 forum. Lots of useful hints/tips and solutions to our common problems. Thanks Guys!

:)

Regards 'uncletony', Westhill, near Aberdeen

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (rodderstrotter @ Jun 18 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334059
I've got an update on the leak on my i20, HTH
That thread made interesting reading, thanks!

At my dealer the service receptionist would not confirm whether the replaced oil seal was on the engine or on the gearbox.

(HTH ? - sorry, I can't decode that ...!!)

Regards 'uncletony'

1 - 20 of 25 Posts