Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a slight oil leak where the gearbox joins the bell housing, so I'm assuming it's leaking gearbox oil. Going to book it in with the dealer. Anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
if the oil leak is in fact coming from the join it can only be leaking from two possible places, 1 the front seal on the gearbox were it would be leaking gear oil or 2 much more likely the rear crankshaft oil seal were it would be leaking engine oil. in any case you will need to make use of your warranty to get this issue fixed

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Montego :liebe011:

Dealer had a quick look today, & agreed it's most likely the seal between the gearbox & bell housing (is this the front seal?), probably not enough sealant applied on the mating faces. Not a common problem, they've seen only one before. Car booked in, 2 day job, I'll post back when complete.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (rjvcompeticion @ Jun 14 2010, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332785
Hola

Yo tengo ese problema y parece que es el retén de la transmisión derecha ( es la larga)
Hi and :00000732: to the forums.

A quick Google translation of your post is:-

"Hello

I have that problem and it seems that is the catch of the transmission right (eventually)"

I think you should let your dealer/mechanic take a look and see what they advise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (rodderstrotter @ May 17 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323677
Thanks for the advice Montego :liebe011:

Dealer had a quick look today, & agreed it's most likely the seal between the gearbox & bell housing (is this the front seal?), probably not enough sealant applied on the mating faces. Not a common problem, they've seen only one before. Car booked in, 2 day job, I'll post back when complete.
Well I had the above work carried out, next day oil still leaking. Took it back & the garage added UV dye to the gearbox oil. After taking it back again they diagnosed it to be the driveshaft oil seal. Again I'll update when complete.
I did have an I30 as a courtesy car, shame the car was only in for 2 days!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (silverlining @ Jun 18 2010, 05:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334135
Does that mean they haven,t seen THIS problem before
I'm not sure, usually the forman mechanic looks over the car with me present but I had to leave it with them on this occasion. He did say last time that on other hyundai's they had had a few leaking at the gearbox to bellhousing seal, & they had had some cracked castings but not on i20's.

QUOTE (silverlining @ Jun 18 2010, 05:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334135
also are you saying you wish you had bought an i30 now?
Still happy with the i20, I think I chose correctly, inbetween the i10 & the i30. I really liked the i30, but couldn't justify stretching my budget that far, even though it was only another 1.7K on scrappage at the time (between a i20 classic & i30 comfort at £8K)

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (rodderstrotter @ Jun 18 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334061
Well I had the above work carried out, next day oil still leaking. Took it back & the garage added UV dye to the gearbox oil. After taking it back again they diagnosed it to be the driveshaft oil seal. Again I'll update when complete.
I did have an I30 as a courtesy car, shame the car was only in for 2 days!
This seems to be a know issue for i10 and i20. Cause: to much oil put in the gearbox at the factory.
Reference: TSB # HGE09-51-I040-PAPB (http://service.hyundai-motor.com/Main.asp, in Dutch only?)

Best regards,
Captain Slow

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (peer55 @ Sep 17 2010, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356812
Hyundai i20 march 2009.
After 47000km discovered also oil leak. Bottom of engine is polluted with oil.
Tuesday 14 September to garage, seal ring in gearbox replaced under warranty about 5 hours of work
Friday 17 September to garage because there are a number of drops of oil to the block. Mechanic cleaned everything he thinks it's oil is in room behind. Appointment after week again leak checking.
Thursday 28 September to garage, oil leak is stile dear and they will repair again on Monday 4 October.
Monday garage put in new gearbox everything seems OK now
Peer55
Netherlanders

·
Registered
1 Posts
gearbox oil leak - clutch slipping

After 49000 miles and 6 years of use my clutch started slipping. Turns out that gearbox oil leaking into the clutch compartment is responsible. Apparently a common thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts