Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hope for a good outcome. My concern would be that at 170K you are entering the nickel and dime stage. And you will see that a new engine aint cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi , I have oil leaking on the alternator again - car was last fixed in Dec 2014 as part of the recall for the valve cover gasket and the problem is happening again - oil is leaking on my newly replaced alternator (changed 2 yrs ago). Would Hyundai Canada re-fix the problem as part of the recall? or I am on my own? any advise will be greatly appreciated (mechanic said both front and back covers are leaking and would cost 4 hours of labor to fix)
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jimmy70 I was told they are on the hook only for the recall issue
which is very specific to the front valve cover leak directly above the alternator
they also told me that I had other minor oil leaks but I declined to have them repaired

I am looking at my alternator and seeing oil all over it again so it will be going back
to dealer again soon
lmk how you make out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if an oil leak from a timing cover can also get onto the alternator? There are multiple instances of unsuccessful oil leak repairs from the valve cover gasket. It may be a timing cover nobody wants to admit (because of a dramatically high repair cost)? Has anyone ever been told that timing cover leak is responsible for an oil on the alternator?

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI
Had my 3rd Valve cover gasket and alternator replaced
still having shutting off issues when it rains and/or I hit a puddle

·
Registered
34 Posts
just had my 3rd valve cover gasket and alternator replaced
still having problems shutting off when it rains and/or I hit a puddle

·
Registered
217 Posts
Our 2010 VC had the valve cover leak fixed second time recently, this time at ca 200k km, while the first time was at ca 110k km. Both repairs included replacing both gaskets, and the alternator, and were covered by Hyundai thanks to the recall. I have to say I am quite happy w/ Hyundai for fixing the issue second time w/o any push back.

We had the spark plugs replaced while they had the valve cover off. The labor charge for the plug work dropped from 2.5 hours to 0.5 hours. So we pretty much only had to pay for the plugs.

The dealership claimed that the repair uses a modified/improved valve cover gasket, that should fix the underlying problem. I have hard time believing that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this related to Recall 121?

Thank you wallyjay. I purchased another car. It is one year later and my 08 Veracruz was stored because Hyundai and I were at an impass.

Can anyone tell me: Could this be related to the 121 Recall?

08 Veracruz: My oil light was glowing faintly. Oil was down a tad so added a quart. Light turned off. Car sat for a day. Next day start up seemed good-no lights. But on the highway about 20 miles out the oil light faintly glows. So I stopped but then started again in a few minutes- no lights lit when I resumed. But before I could get even 1/8mile driving 65mpg the oil light and check engine light came on. At the same time I lost power steering. Luckily I was able to get it to the side of the road-towed to service station. They said there was oil all over-said something about a rod loose- said I needed a new engine-not a Hyundai dealership so don't think they knew anything about the recall. They did not take engine apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So not related to the recall even if the mechanic said there was oil all over. I did not see oil on the engine but that's what the mechanic said., I don't know where he saw it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone keep having the same leak over and over? I really like this car but this will be the 4th time. and the last time dealer said Hyundai may not keep paying? any adivce would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update - 4th time leaking all over alternator. Now dealer says other leaks (timing cover, oil pan etc) are leaking and finding there way onto to alternator. So it looks like its still leaking from front valve cover? I am skeptical that this is the case but will check tomorrow morning at dealer. Anyone have this happen?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just had my Veracruz for the second Valve Cover leak replacement. Less then a month and it's leaking again.
They booked me in to recheck it in a few weeks, but hinted it may be Timing Cover. Has anyone had Hyundai Canada cover the repairs for Timing Cover as part of a recall. I saw a post from one fellow, but this was 1 year ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just picked up mine and the lead tech said its not the valve cover anymore. now its timing cover, and/or oil pan and they are not part of the recall so not covered. I added dye and will visually check myself with help of my mechanic
this week and if its still leaking. I will take to another Hyundai dealer to and/or call Hyundai and find out best course. I disagree with the lead tech but with out visual proof and I dont want to argue. Will update again.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts