Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I just upload a quick video on how to replace a 2010/11 Hyundai Veracruz Alternator as here in Brazil Hyundai did not make the recall.
My car was still under warranty but no deal with hyundai.
So I bought a new one and replace it.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wJ8C88q5Q
After replacing I have opened and cleaned the old alternator and the problem was the brush holder so I ordered a new one (US$ 10.00) and will replace it so I will have a spare alternator just in case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why hasnt a class action lawsuit been started???

So do you guys enjoy spending hundreds of dollars to have the dealership fix a recurring problem that cant be fixed even with replacement parts????? Why hasn't a class action lawsuit been started yet??? I would but I just don't have the money for it right now.

Im going on my THIRD alternator. I would STRONGLY recommend that everyone here tell as many people as possible NOT to purchase Hyundai vehicles in the future. Maybe that will hit them where it hurts. Probably not. I know I wont buy another Hyundai ever again.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
At nearly 150,000 miles, mine is just barely seeping. They have called me about a repair/recall, but I am hesitant. They may make it worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stuck on the side of the road last nite towed to a reputable service station
If they do the work on alternator and valve cover.
Does Hyundai reimburse?
2008 Hyundai Veracruz 103,000 miles
2nd owner so I am uncertain if this has been done before
I've been having intermittent issues. Oil has always been good
last nite it was low on the stick and I could see the oil all over the alternator.

any and all help appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife's 2012 GLS AWD is leaking for sure...alternator is black with oil but my dealer won't replace anything as they said the alternator output still meets requirements. The gasket has been replaced in past according to carfax so must be a common occurrence. Also noticed my oil is about only a bit over half when oil change time comes so its definitely leaking. Going to get out of this vehicle for sure soon. Bought it 3 years ago with 32k miles and currently sitting at 70k. Mind you this was a certified preowned vehicle too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If your car falls under the recall, they must do the repair. If yours is recalled, and they refuse, talk to Hyundai corporate or try another dealer if feasible.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Tell the to read the directions very slowly - carefully..

It states any presence of oil on alternator gets replaced, working or not,, it gets replaced... paper is readily available on line with minor work, print it, highlight it, and stand there with Hyundai Motor on the phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the recall in 2014 on our '08, but the alternator died for good today. Is Hyundai still on the hook? Should I look for oil on the alternator and press them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im in this thread some where as having the issue on my 2008 Veracruz. Oil leaked onto alternator sufficiently to shut down vehicle while doing 65 on the PA turnpike this past summer.... fast forward to a few weeks ago.
Taking a ride from Philly to Nashville and noticed oil leaking again. took to same dealer the day I was planning on leaving
and asked them to check. they agreed oil was leaking at same spot and said they would try to fix so that I could leave on time. I was okay with postponing a day or so but they put me in a loaner and said should be done by end of the day. I called at 5:30 and they said they were buttoning up the car and I could pick up in 1/2 hour. went waited a little longer than an hour but all good. left about 4 hrs after I wanted to but all good. noticed some smells figured degreaser burning off. checked the oil at first gas station and it was a qt low...figured they forgot to top off so grabbed a qt added half and figured I'd monitor along the way...next fuel stop was in Western VA about 8 hrs into trip and checked oil again. the gas station wasnt well lit so I grabbed a flash light and took a look into eng compartment to see if I could see oil and to check...I then NOTICED that a bracket was hanging next to alternator and basically hanging by a wire harness down near the bottom belt/pulley..I lifted it up and out of the way by the wire and noticed 2 plug ends on the wire harness that was attached to the bracket??? took a good look at everything and "hung the bracket" out of the way on a hose to the left of the engine and decided to have it looked at ASAP. being at night in the middle of no where (to me) I continued on towards Nashville. Car was driving fine etc etc. continued to monitor oil and all good. It stayed right at half qt mark....so I added remaining half qt and it stayed at full line for remainder of the trip... On the return ride we had some severe downpours and a consistent cold steady rain thru Tennessee and the windshield would not clear of fog...relaized that one of the plugs that werent plugged in was the AC. did the test at idle by turning on then off to see if idle raised when AC was turned on...no change in idle. drove out of our way into NC to miss the rainstorm but ended up driving thru the smoky mts and the window remained a problem. Found a hotel to wait out rain and at least drive during the day only....added about 6 hrs to the return trip but made it home safely...CALLED the dealership and spoke to the same guy and he seemed unimpressed that the bracket was left hanging and the wires too....but said bring it up and we will take a look....this is where things got a little freaky. Upon arrival he said the guy that worked on it left for the day but the guy that helped him was still there and wanted to look at it. It would be a few minutes but I could wait for it. ( I also noticed that the a few of the screws that hold down the engine cover were missing or broke..not a big deal but why? ) when the mechanic came to take a look at I walked out with him and he said...."when you picked up the car last week I wasnt done with it"....I was like "what" he said he told them he was done for the day and would finish my car first thing in the am...they misunderstood him and thought he meant he was done with the car....being from this planet (and formerly in the auto service industry) I understand human error happens and even with the best intentions shizzz will find a way to happen...He pulled it in and spent about 35 mins "finishing" the car. I have a few questions to anyone who made it this far in this story.
1. obviously one of the plugs was for the AC ...what is the other plug? and was it okay to drive.
2. Im pretty sure my AC is now not working...as my windshiled would not "defrost / defog" last nite. I couldnt tell for sure if it Idled up when turning on AC...could damage have been done to AC if it was on and not plugged in? I think not but thankfully some of you guys know much more than I do.
Any questions let me know
TIA

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Oh wow...total bummer. I don't think that AC would suffer any damage. As for the other wire, I don't know.
Sorry for such an inconvenience. When my cars come out of a shop I look over everything like a hawk. Learned long ago that you cannot trust anyone to do the job correctly no matter how good their intentions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Open hood.. take flash light and look down over the side of the alternator and down toward A/C compressor.. the field coil connector is unplugged from the A/C compressor..

In the picture, note the harness is snapped onto bracket that comes already attached to new alternator,, see the A/C connector there ?? Reach down and plug it back together..

It will only fit 1 way, so you will need to carefully align it so it slide together and click..

sbr711
thanks much for the pics.
they forgot to put mine back together as well

·
Registered
34 Posts
anyone know how to have settings so I get an email everytime there is an update or reply to this thread
I feel that I am almost a pro at this one

I love me Veracruz and want it to last

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Then dont let rust take over.. had to put a rear bearing in a 4WD model, and ABS sensor at same wheel,, plan of attack to get there changed with almost every piece I needed to remove to allow spindle to move out of way to get sensor swapped

take it all apart and reassemble with anti-seize on everything so it move and come apart at later date

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm one very unhappy (08) Veracruz owner. I just spent about $1300 for rear ball bearings (car has >170K). Then my oil light came on--but oddly. it was glowing faintly-not on fully. So I took a look and it was down a tad so I put in a quart. Seemed to turn the light off. Then parked the car and it sat for a day. Start up seemed good-no lights. But on the highway about 20 miles out the oil light faintly glows. So I stop. But I'd read up on what that could mean, many things, and I was surely not out of oil-so I started the car again and there were no lights lit. But before I could get even 1/8mile the oil light came on strong as did the check engine light. At the same exact time I could not steer without much effort-as if I lost power steering. Luckily I was able to get it to the side of the road-towed to service station. They said there was oil all over-said something about a rod loose (can't recall cause they first said I needed a new engine at which point I was not attending as well. The car was scheduled but hasn't had this recall fixed. Do you think the problems are related to the recall. I know there is not enough information for anyone to say conclusively but is this consistent with what could happen. I am considering a new engine but need to first make sure all else is ok with the vehicle. I don't want to continue putting money into it if there are other problems but can't spring for new vehicle right now. So first I'm having it looked over before buying a new engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To add: I live in the worst climate in the US. My garage has had what I thought was puddle of melted snow. But even here, we have not had an appreciable amount of snow since...a few days ago. And now there is no longer a puddle but there does appear to be a stain-I'm trying to dry the garage floor now to see if it is actually oil or not.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts