Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
WD40 will eventually dry and leave behind a water repelling film. I think they use fish oil.

I douse my yard shoes with it to waterproof them.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Why not alternators? I've used WD 40 many times on rotating electrical devices. It is non conducting and after the carrier solvent has evaporated non flammable. It would be ideal for getting oil out of the alternator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tried it, tried it, tried it.

Folks,
I am on the fourth alternator in my '08 Veracruz. First two were changed by the dealer (one under warranty and one out of pocket.) Third one I replaced myself as well as replacing the gasket and sealing the valve cover with rtv although rtv is not recommended. I figured I wanted it sealed so I did it anyway. Did not work, only lasted a year. Did some research and found that there is a recall on this so I took the car to the dealer and they replaced it again free of charge. Supposedly they changed the design of the gasket (rubber o-ring seal.) Previously I tried cleaning the oil and grime off with a special electrical cleaning spray that leaves no film of any sort behind. Cleans the alternator, but I believe that what is causing the alternator to fail is the oil and dirt mixture forms a paste like substance that is acting as an abrasive inside the alternator causing the internal components to break down and wear out. Moral of the story: Bad design of the leaking valve cover and bad design of placing the alternator under the leaking valve cover. I will post again if this one fails also.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Depends on how the alternators fail. If electrically it is probably the brushes failing due to the oil carbonizing as the brushes arc. Otherwise the oil would not really bother the alternator unless it cause over heating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an oil change appointment with the dealer this weekend. I'll ask about the electrical contact cleaner and WD40. Although I think the electrical cleaner is ok based on your responses. Better to be safe than sorry and just spray it. I am pretty sure I have some oil on the copper coils in the alternator. Can't believe i am still making car payments in this vehicle knowing there is really no cure for the valve cover

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Why not alternators? I've used WD 40 many times on rotating electrical devices. It is non conducting and after the carrier solvent has evaporated non flammable. It would be ideal for getting oil out of the alternator.
WD40 would indeed clean out the dirty oil, but it would add a thin layer of new oil which then attracts dirt in an unsheltered environment like under a hood.

My point is that a straight-up degreaser would probably be better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had an oil change over the weekend from the dealer and asked them about the electrical contact cleaner and WD40.

Electrical contact is good. Both the service advisor and also the parts counter rep who is very knowledgable about cars said yes go for it. The advisor said he the techs normally spray some of that stuff on the alternator anyhow.

WD40 - basically NO and echos what Don said. Causes and attracts a dust buildup due to the oily film forming on the copper coils

Don, I took your advice and asked about a higher grade oil 5W30 to help prevent the oil leak. I asked the advisor before getting mine done. He was actually a little shocked and confused about why I am asking. I told him, that the second recommended oil grade is 5W30 so he continued to give me his spiel about how the oil is to thick and won't reach the top of the engine in time to lubricate it. He then also went on and said, he knows of people who use synthetic 5W30 and they have the same issues. It might damage your engine. Just use the recommended 5W20

Didnt want to argue so I said ok use your 5W20

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
5w30 is a recommended oil... the service advisor is mistaken.

5w20 provides no benefit at startup compared to 5w30. They both flow like a 5 weight oil. The difference comes at full operating temperature, when the 5w30 is slightly thicker for better cushioning of metal parts and less potential for leakage.

The only reason to use 5w20 is to squeeze an extra fraction of a mpg from your engine. It is all the rage with hypermilers and global warmists, but personally I don't use the stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may be a stupid question. Is the recall for only front gasket, or for both frond and back?
I would think both suffer from bad sealant and both would leak, but everywhere it is only mentioned about front gasket.

Or does the rear one not leak?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
This may be a stupid question. Is the recall for only front gasket, or for both frond and back?
I would think both suffer from bad sealant and both would leak, but everywhere it is only mentioned about front gasket.

Or does the rear one not leak?

Recall is for the left hand cam cover gasket.. granted the right hand cover gasket is same layout / identical material,,, it is always the left that seems to leak more pronounced.. likely the heat trapped there along with heat coming off radiator and condenser.

If oil has leaked and seen on top of the alternator, then alternator get replaced

·
Registered
46 Posts
Recall is for the left hand cam cover gasket.. granted the right hand cover gasket is same layout / identical material,,, it is always the left that seems to leak more pronounced.. likely the heat trapped there along with heat coming off radiator and condenser.

If oil has leaked and seen on top of the alternator, then alternator get replaced
Thanks mate!

My car is about to go for service for this recall. The alternator is covered in oil, however I heard some people said theirs, was covered in oil and it was just wiped off. Where can I find some "guidelines" from Hyundai about this repair stating that alternator needs to be replaced if covered in oil, so that I can refer to that, just in case. Is there a TSB?

Another question, replacing alternator on 3.8, on Verarcuz, what's the effort. Do you need to drop the A/C compressor, and lower the frame to get enough room to pass alternator out from bottom?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Thanks mate!

My car is about to go for service for this recall. The alternator is covered in oil, however I heard some people said theirs, was covered in oil and it was just wiped off. Where can I find some "guidelines" from Hyundai about this repair stating that alternator needs to be replaced if covered in oil, so that I can refer to that, just in case. Is there a TSB?
It is called out in the instructions for the recall.. Part numbers and labor op codes all called out for replacement and claim filing

Another question, replacing alternator on 3.8, on Verarcuz, what's the effort. Do you need to drop the A/C compressor, and lower the frame to get enough room to pass alternator out from bottom?
Hyundai instructions say to remove fan and remove alternator from top.. tight fit.. they dont tell you that you need to dump coolant and remove upper hose from radiator either..
You'll get new cover gasket, and a Re-Man alternator

Take pics before hand, and if old alternator still there, confront them.

Hyundai give 1.0hr for cover gasket, and 0.8hr for alternator,,, they real fun when covered in oil and road dirt for long time..

If it a drop the day before and dispatched late in day, I try to power wash and let sit overnight to drip dry,, less messy then, but still some mess there yet

·
Registered
46 Posts
You'll get new cover gasket, and a Re-Man alternator

Take pics before hand, and if old alternator still there, confront them.

Hyundai give 1.0hr for cover gasket, and 0.8hr for alternator,,, they real fun when covered in oil and road dirt for long time..

If it a drop the day before and dispatched late in day, I try to power wash and let sit overnight to drip dry,, less messy then, but still some mess there yet
Hi!

So I had the valve cover gasket on Veracruz replaced, they replaced alternator as well. Works seems to have been done well on that. But immediately I noticed a problem - my A/C is not working, I don't hear compressor turning on. I did notice before that the compressor was covered in oil just like alternator.

What's your experience, how common is AC compressor to fail due to oil leak or this repair? Do you need to remove it or unplug anything when replacing alternator? Strange that it worked before and after this repair failed.
Thanks again for your great help!

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Open hood.. take flash light and look down over the side of the alternator and down toward A/C compressor.. the field coil connector is unplugged from the A/C compressor..

In the picture, note the harness is snapped onto bracket that comes already attached to new alternator,, see the A/C connector there ?? Reach down and plug it back together..

It will only fit 1 way, so you will need to carefully align it so it slide together and click..

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Open hood.. take flash light and look down over the side of the alternator and down toward A/C compressor.. the field coil connector is unplugged from the A/C compressor..

In the picture, note the harness is snapped onto bracket that comes already attached to new alternator,, see the A/C connector there ?? Reach down and plug it back together..

It will only fit 1 way, so you will need to carefully align it so it slide together and click..

Just wanted to Thank You!

This was exactly what happened! Thanks so much for your help to the Hyundai community!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the recall repair done a couple of months ago, including the alternator replacement. This week we had to take the Veracruz in because the wipers stopped working and we were told we also have an oil leak. This was not the same dealer that did the recall repair so my wife phoned me at work and asked me to call these guys. I asked if this was related to the recall repair and they said no, so I said to fix it. They charged me $200 to fix it but when I saw the invoice, instead of saying valve cover they said rocker cover leaking oil onto alternator. Totally scammed by these guys. I will be complaining to them and Hyundai canada.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts