Report Receipt Date: JUL 08, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V415000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 61,122

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

• HYUNDAI VERACRUZ 2007-2012

Manufacturer: Hyundai Motor Company
SUMMARY:

Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2007-2012 Veracruz vehicles manufactured from December 26, 2006, through July 24, 2012. The affected vehicles may experience an oil leak from the front cylinder bank valve cover gasket. If there is a sufficient amount of oil dropped onto the alternator, the alternator will be damaged causing the charging system to become inoperative.

CONSEQUENCE:

If the alternator is damaged, the charging system warning lamp in the instrument cluster will illuminate, and the engine will lose power and the vehicle will eventually stop operating while being driven. An unexpected failure of motive power while driving increases the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect/repair or replace the alternator and the front valve cover gasket, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by the end of September 2014. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 121. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well this sucks, I had this problem two years ago and had to pay out of pocket to have the alternator and gasket replaced. I have also had problems with the oil pan gasket, its been replaced twice and last time I changed my oil, I saw oil at the bottom like it is beginning to leak again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this happen to me last week. Car wouldn't start and died aftewr I jumped it - bought a new battery hoping that this was the problem. Obviously, it wasn't. Wonder if Hyundail will reimburse me for the battery?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know if they are using a different gasket than the one that was installed at the factory? If not, won't this same problem potentially repeat itself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I originally posted this under BATTERY DIES QUICKLY THREAD.

"Could be related to valve cover recall just announced. Here's how. I have a 2010 limited. I had the first battery replaced under warranty after 23.5 months after having it die twice while on long trips away from home. I saw a few drops of oil on my garbage floor from time to time. but could not see a leak. Since I change oil at the dealer on a regular basis, I never had a low oil issue when I checked. In 2013, some of the idiot lights came on and stayed on while driving to the golf course. After playing, more light came on, but the car started. Driving home(less than 10 mile) car seemed fine except for the lights. I stopped for a light and could not go over 35mph. After turning into my development, I could not go over 10mph. Knowing that I had to be towed, I decided to back into my driveway. I could not shift out of drive. I had lost all of my electronics including the transmission. Car was towed to dealer, who found a defective valve cover gasket had allowed oil to drip on my alternator, shorting it out. I had been running on my battery for some unknown time until it totally discharged causing loss of all electronics. They replaced the gasket and alternator and everything seemed fine. At the time, the replacement battery was less than 2 years old, but was not replaced. A couple of months later, it failed while I was again far from home. This time, I had to pay a hefty partial charge for the partially warranted battery. I wasn't alert enough to demand a replacement battery when they replaced the shorted altenator. My advice for the recall is to have the dealer make sure oil has not dripped onto the alternator. If there is doubt, I think that the alternator and battery should be replaced.

Sorry for the long reply. "

·
Registered
217 Posts
This seems to be a standard 'feature' in all Hyundai's with big V6's. My 2006 Sonata had to have the gasket replaced, and the Sonata forum has this topic popping up frequently....

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
+1 Seppo

I believe it's limited to the Lambda series... 3.3, 3.5 and 3.8. My '08 Santa Fe did it, and my 2012 Veracruz is showing signs as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What the ****!?!?!

So, what do we do? Just let Hyundai accept this casually as our wives drive this in traffic with the potential of ramming into another car on the highway?

This happen to my wife about 2 weeks ago. I bought a used alternator from a junkyard for $40 thinking that we just got a bad alternator. FORTUNATELY, she had just pulled into a park area. I am SO pissed. Talk about incompetent negligence. I am going to contact my pre-legal and see if I can take any legal action. GUYS, THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS OR YEARS AND THEY ARE JUST NOW RELEASING THE RECALL!!!! Dammit.

Per recall "the engine will lose power..." Do you guys think Hyundai is REALLY taking this seriously enough? Calling my lawyer now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys, take care of this recall ASAP. I am the phone with Hyundai now. This is a VERY serious recall. The transmission will stop working and the end result may be a crash. Your SAFETY is at risk. Call your dealerships IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is great info for all VC owners. I have had the cover and alt replaced twice after having them fail on road trips. This has taken toooooooo long to happen.
Now if they would only make the daylight running lights work....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update!

So, I went last Friday and had the problem corrected. Sure enough the front valve cover was leaking oil. Gasket was replaced. I must have been one of the first Veracruz owners in the country to have this addressed. The dealership told me several times that although the have the campaign in their computers they have NO specific guidance/direction from Hyundai corporate. Why the **** would you release a recall and then not give the dealerships the specific direction they need to fix it on the spot?? Foolish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Santa Fe too!

Heading for vacation with family (8/20/14) my 2007 Santa Fe leaked oil ruining the alternator and I lost all power while on a busy expressway. This is the EXACT same issue as the Veracuz. It cost $750 to repair plus $200 for towing. Santa Fe should be included in the 121 Veracruz recall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi. I was on the phone Friday with Hyundai thanks to the helpful information in this thread. I am scheduled to have the recall 121 addressed this Friday at my dealer. The customer service rep, who by the way was very nice and helpful, indicated the recall letters were going to be mailed in September. Since my VIN was already identified in their system as subject to the recall and I explained I was going on a trip, she talked to her supervisor who approved the appointment. She actually set up the appointment for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dug around under hood, and took a few picks to prove it's an on-going issue with this unit..will do the same with my pal's '10 Santa Fe..
My alt is crusted with dried oil, and the seatbelt light was flashing quite a bit, with 2 people in the car, both belted..It's the same problem..I can See the dried oil track as it runs down the head, onto the alt..no pressure washing will take that stain away..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Do you mean Canada Hyundai is not on board with this??
Same unit, different country?!?
Say it isn't so!!
It wouldn't be the first time a recall in the U.S. wasn't applied in Canada.

We're not talking about a gusher here... usually there's not even enough oil loss to notice it on the dipstick. Just enough to dirty the alternator over a period of months. A quick wipe with a rag at every oil change is all it really takes to avoid problems.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts